1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Triggered traps - A concept

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Thiamor, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

One main reason that I like this game so much, is how easily you can make custom/original, unique traps.

Personally I like ones that you don't see often.

For example I made a 3 way Trigger (Activated) Trap. AKA the TAP.

It has 3 sections, using Trap bridges and blocks, basically. Section 1 can be broke lose which breaks both itself, section 2 and section 3 down. Whereas sections 2 and 3 can only knock themselves down.

I took a screen shot to further explain my trap.

[​IMG]

S-1, S-2, and S-3 stand for Section 1, Section 2, and Section 3. Just wanting to state that.

What do you think of my Trap, and what is your favorite traps to see/use/make?

EDIT Wyeth: Added version number, read stickies before posting! This is only a warning, not worth any infraction points.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Acavado and Wyeth like this.
  2. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

The problem I find for those traps is that they are typically one shot and indiscriminate. Great for killing maybe 8 guys if you're very lucky but I would take a nice big pit trap with good archer positions nearby any day. Pit traps combined with heavy archer fire can turn a game around.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Acavado like this.
  3. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

Just a door with no supports with stone as a roof facing the direction of my enemy.
    I swear to god I've killed so many knights like that. 2-3 each time, I must be lucky.
    (They destroy a part of the door and the rest of it falls on them, basically. Seriously.)

Noburu and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  4. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

My trap seems to work ONLY when they break through XD Otherwise it's just there. Taking up space. But it works perfectly if done in sections. So then they don't break it all down if they don't have to.

5. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

I dont like traps which may result in team's units deaths.This one can be triggered by a single bomb,catapult shot,it is 1-use,and takes a lot of stone and even more wood to make.

Still,I bet,collapsing it on incoming enemy rush is godlikely satisfying : )

6. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It is. Definitely when you're, more times than not, in total control of what falls. If you make it where there also is a pit under it, and a long pit at that, it makes it a tad bit easier to keep bombs away when you see what's coming, and make walls around it to protect it. It needs a lot more work, to further perfect it. But it's getting there. My idea is to make 5 triggers. Just to keep it up when bombs hit. Like one that's far off, away from the battle field.

7. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I think the concept of "triggers" is definately interesting and should be explored more. I have trouble seeing this particular idea as very useful. Why would you ever WANT to make a chain reaction like that? Whats the point?

Just a rough idea: I think this technique could be used to create buildings that can be collapsed as a last resort. Think of the way enemies often overtake a structure and make it into theirs. With a certain build and in connection with this trigger idea you could collapse a structure from afar while the enemy is boarding it, squashing all the enemy troops as a last resort attack.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Wolffkran like this.
  8. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The only chain reaction is the First Trigger, and is used as a last resort if they get too far.
    If they are running up, and you hit the first trigger, they will run the risk of RUNNING-INTO the debris, and when they run back, they are already going to get hit by the rest of it. Also the second and third Trigger only collapses itself, and so they are used if they are not too far ahead.

9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Here is a revamped 'Trigger (Activated) Trap.

All of the triggers on them have been reinforced with a back-stone wall behind the trigger and beside the trigger, and the top Trigger has 2 triggers that need to be broken before it can be released. I've also added more Triggers to the whole thing, and more spikes. This is more for a Last Resort/ Last Man standing sort of thing. Where if they break through, you can start releasing them one at a time, or all of them at once. That is why it's over and/ or near the Flag.

This new version also takes a few more hits per Trigger for it to work, so accidental breaking(s) won't be a problem, and bombs won't be able to reach it as easily due to the Tower. There are now 6 Sections built onto this.

My next Trap will be, implementing this idea into each building that we make, where it can be activated from far off, as stated above. I'll also be having it where you CAN activate them all at once for a Fail Safe Switch, just like what we have on this trap. But it'll all be activated from Far off from the actual buildings.

What do you all think?

[​IMG]

10. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

Yes, the 'SPIKES EVERYWHERE!!!11!!!' pic I was waiting for.

11. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

How long have you been using this trap? I just saw it recently.

12. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Been using it for the past few days. I thought 'Hey, maybe we can make something a tad-bit more interactive."

13. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Here is the Trigger Traps for the buildings. Same image, just showing more on the second one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The general concept, is that each building has a trigger, some having more than 1 to hold it down. Each trigger is reinforced with a Back wall, laying on top of a stone block. The top part breaks it all, where as only 2 of them break the middle piece.

This way if they get in, you can collapse it on top of them from farther away.

What do you think? It needs a lot more work, but it's getting there, I think.

14. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I am not quite sure where you inted this to be used? In a normal game this is extremely cost intensive. Like unpayable expensive. You would the whole game to build the trap bridges alone and the worst thing? Its literally flimsy. One cata shot could bring the big stone slab on top down. Building a cata takes what?... all of 30 seconds?...

Another thing is, why the heck would you build a one time defense around your own base? Or is this just for conceptualizing? Cause it sure looks like its intended to be around your main base. Another thing can you explain more what you are actually doing? I mean the blocks do not break trap bridges from any height etc. Maybe you should add a little explanation about this?

Generally I feel that you are not really optimizing it, just making it bigger and in turn even more convoluted. Why would you put the collapse all switch on the side the enemies are comming from? Why not put it on the side your friends are comming from? So many questions.

This is all under the impression that you intend this for the normal gamemode. On the other hand, I can see this being very fun and useful for mapmakers as they can place all of these contraptions beforehands and make fun "breakaway" maps with lots of little pieces to collapse? In TDM there are no catapults especially so its most likely collapsed by friendlies only.

Contrary likes this.
  15. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well this was just made to give out the general idea. Not to actually be used until it was made to work. Also not to be the main base, or around it. This was done on the map editor.

16. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

I dont think falling spikes do dam,since they fall as seperate blocks.
    Not connected to rocks...

17. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I remember it fell and landed straight up on the group below me, and killed me because I had landed on them. That is the only reason I decided to add them.

18. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Assuming this was ever used in a regular game, I'd rate it as one of the worst possible traps for all the reasons Wyeth mentioned, PLUS it's so confusing, huge, and baffling, that friendlies will probably jump on the hundreds of spikes you have littered around. Did I mention how cost effective this is NOT? If I had to throw an estimate out there, I'd guess a low end of 1,000 wood for all them damn trap bridges, and probably more. That's 4 full loads of wood. And it can be collapsed by a cata, or a friendly, and it affords zero protection to your troops and wastes space in your base for, oh idk, actual defenses?

-3/10.

19. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Again, didn't I just say it was an example? Obviously it'd HAVE to be cost effective and good in defense. This was to give you a general idea of how the Triggers would be laid out.

20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I think enough people have said how bad this is, however it could be fun as stated by Wyeth for premade maps in things like RCTF and RDM, I wouldn't mind seeing some of them and having some fun with that in there.