1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[274] The Auri Suprise

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Auri, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

[​IMG]

Knights will hack and hack at those doors out of compulsion, only to have all their hard work come to a dead end. The only key is that the back end needs to end in team ladders or something so that it gives the logical conclusion that the doors go all the way through. For added hilarity, make a million doors.

Used more as a distraction than as a sturdy, cheap, or easily repaired defense. Knights are attracted to doors, leaving archers and builders as easy targets. Repair the doors only as long as the other team thinks they go through, if/when they expose the dead end, fill it up with less-expensive rock and just use it as a normal wall.

Agent_008, JacKD, BlackKlit and 14 others like this.
  2. I do this with door hallways of my team. If some noob makes a door hallway I make a wall somewhere between the doors and tell my team to go up (usually there is upper entrance). It's so funny when knights were drilling through 8 doors and then BAM, stone appears.

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I do this too sometimes, especially since I disabled the editor on my server. Freezes and kicks dont seem to get the message across.

I dream of a day when the noobs and dumbasses stop stacking teamdoors. Alas it is but a dream.

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Make the top 1 higher, I always break top door and hop over when possible

5. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I did this and half my team ran from the enemy into it and were trapped.
    And they just run into it anyway even after 5 times of a stone dead end.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Eggnogg like this.
  6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Oh nevermind it is tall enough, I derped

7. Auri

Yeah, try to make all towers not easy to jump. And if you use trap doors at this height, put a stone block under so that enemy knights can't dig down 1 block and then disable them with a jump swipe.

Even with the height though, it's easily traverseable with a single bomb, and you don't exactly need throwing accuracy to get it in a place that will allow your team to easily jump over.

But yeah this was more for the idea rather than for a functional tower... This is the bare minimum to pull it off successfully though.

8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Honestly when I first saw the title I thought it was a joke about strippers or something, then I saw the picture and realized that your psychoanalysis of the common enemy player is very intriguing and well done. This is definitely going to be used as one of my troll build where I spam 2 over and over as knights try to go through.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can also slot in a spike-trap with many a bridge for extra laughs if you've got time and resources.

Rayne, jerloch, BlueLuigi and 4 others like this.
  10. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

I use this almost every match start. I also dig a huge hole below the trap bridge floors that goes all the way to the bottom of the map. Then I just sit back watch the other team constantly fall through.

11. SirEndgame

SirEndgame Shopkeep Stealer

Most people simply don't understand the concept of the trap when I play with pubs and remove the stone barrier, making it a stupid team door stack.

Nonetheless, excellent idea!

Xlayer and Auri like this.
  12. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I have to try this :eek:

I also like the idea use noobs doors to make this one and when enemy knights reach the end fill the entrance with rocks trapping them inside :) (I love having enemy pets to play with).

Rayne and AJ like this.
  13. Auri

Trapping them inside is THE BEST.

Contrary, FuzzyBlueBaron and Rayne like this.
  14. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

As a builder, this is one of the best defenses to you. (trapping knights in holes).

I sometimes intentionally leave dirt at the bases of my towers to "let" knights dig in. Then when they aren't looking swoop in and place 1-2 stone and they're trapped.

What may work better is to leave doors exposed, and have the blocks inside the "doors".

Auri Surprise mod.png

EDIT: IMG's borked a lil, sorry.
    EDIT: fixed.

So it would look something like this, with enemies coming from:
    -------------->

Thus you don't use as much wood on bridges behind. =S

Noburu likes this.
  15. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

Funny, I just fell for this n00b trap 4 minutes ago not even knowing what it was or if it had it's own thread........

Well, it sure works on n00bs. :)

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

It works pretty damn well if your derp builders don't unseal it.

17. killatron46

I would say, every tower/structure on this forum would benefit greatly from derp builders leaving them alone.

Then again I'm a derp, so I guess I ruined your surprise Auri. =S

Chinizz likes this.
  18. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

finetrap1.png

Brilliant idea Auri!I've decided to add some improvements.

Blue door(blue circle) is where knight can clearly see that he is slashing into dead end.This door has to be cut as well to extend LOS.So,even experienced knights may fall for that.

You can make knight's life even harder if you'll play as archer and use arrow slits(red circle) with doors.Second arrow slit should be used if there is really dumb crowd of knights.It can be used by builder to repair upper part of door - to give archer even more time to shoot!
    If knight lits boms,simply jump,door will close,so you won't get hurt by explosion.

Blue arrow slit on top is an experimental arrow slit,I've yet to try out it's usefullness.

Edit : this arrow slit proved to be effective.The whole construction turns into cheese once your teammate builder "improves" it by replacing dead ends with doors.It costs a lot of wood.
    You can get stabbed through arrow slits in the bottom,so be carefull.

Its REALLY satisfying to see enemy knights cut all these doors,lose 2-3 guys along the way due to archer shooting and end up with nothing.Throw flip off to increase your success.

Chinizz likes this.
  19. killatron46

Combo Breaker, I love this improvement you made to Auri's design . . . HOWEVER! Your arrow slits should be at least 2 high so knights can't slash the archers through the 1x1 holes.

Also that arrow slit works nicely, I've been using it for awhile. See my post here. Though it's effectiveness is dependent on archers actually using it, very few use it and just head out in the open. It is also very hard to convince other builders to leave it alone, they usually block it up with stone.

20. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Oh,I've just thought of a few improvements on these slits...Getting slashed through them is really lame.

By the way,builder can place stone through slits and block knights inside!Provided that you've made stone floor under tower thats can be a lot of raging trapped knights!
    But shh,Im going to try it out and post a screenshot. Gotta catch `em all!

FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.