1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[281] Cheap but Effective 3x3 Spike Trap

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by BC, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BC

BC Bison Rider

I noticed 2 blocks wide spike traps are no longer as effective since players can jump on them or walk over them without falling in.

So... I designed a cheap 3 blocks wide spike trap. This trap only costs 20 lumber and 20 stone but deals 1 to 3 damage EVERY time someone falls in the pit.

3widetrap.jpg

(Update)
    Here's a compact version of the trap that seems to do the same damage. This spike trap costs 20 extra lumber but is faster to place and can be placed in some places where a 3 block high trap wouldn't work.

shallow_3wide.jpg

Enjoy!

SARGRA13, Acavado, Melan and 3 others like this.
  2. APPLEStoTHEpear

APPLEStoTHEpear Shopkeep Stealer

Best trap. Beeest trap. Bravo :)

3. MacD

MacD Shark Slayer

This is the spike pit I was making when I first started playing KAG. They're excellent for slowing down the opponent's forces in a pinch when you don't have enough time to make a deadlier pit, but I've always preferred using pits that are deep enough to prevent enemy knights from escaping without help or bombs.

4. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

The basic point of these traps BC has been working on, is QUICK and EFFECTIVE, which if a knight falls in and takes dam at least 1 heart 100% of the time, I believe that is very good for its price.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Hmm, should definitely be avoidable to take damage, will test it out later today and post back results.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  6. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

I don't understand why there is a down-ward facing spike under the bridge. Enemies will never be struck by it...

Recent builds have made spikes more dangerous.

But I like the way you are conserving stone by placing them on every other tile.

Froghead48 likes this.
  7. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

like jumping above?

8. BlueLuigi

Well that would be the most obvious way, yea, it's one of those things that is easily avoided in this way of course.
    However, you should still be able to land inbetween spikes, but I have not had time to actually test this.

9. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Sincerely 3*3 trap is easily avoidable by jumping. Even if i'm not an expert in spike trap design, i can't see the point of the spike just under the bridge.
    Maybe this trap is to cheap to be effective. As an exemple of an excellent cheap and effective trap, there are the corner spikes.

This design above is avoidable, if you control the speed of you're fall, and walk slowly above them. Anyway, why are you trying to avoid this trap? why there is no builder to put a stone bridge or anything above this? Why are you keeping falling and this ridiculous thing?

But I think I should shut up, and learn more about spike trap.

10. TerryDactyl

Since when, Chinizz, is there ever a builder, ready, and waiting to disarm traps?

11. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Only after I decide to become builder because either everyone else is knight and isn't smart enough to change to builder, or because all of our builders are minecrafters and just stay at base. (why can't they learn?)

I will say that you can jump over it, but it's also possible for the enemy to either slash/shield bash into that pit and you'll end up cursing whoever put that pit there (it happens more often than it should).

For some reason (I think it's due to the latest build which made spikes a little more potent or something) but if you go fast enough and do it at certain angles, you can be insta-killed by these kind of traps. More testing needs to be done, but it does seem to damage more than 1 heart sometimes. I will say that if a teammate falls in though, they are probably dead.

12. APPLEStoTHEpear

APPLEStoTHEpear Shopkeep Stealer

Trust me tho. VERY effective trap, used it alot on the POWER server and foolish knights fell at my feet while i, a builder, lol and use the middle finger emote. It was amusing :) I assure you it will atleast take away half of the health or kill a knight if they jump in.

13. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

me, i sux at minecrafting, as an archer, and as a knight. the only thing i can do (very) well is to disarm trap and destroy fortification in general. so i play offensive builder.

FuzzyBlueBaron and TerryDactyl like this.
  14. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

I have done some testing, and I believe that this works due to the same mechanics that make the corner spikes work . . . If a knight touches EITHER wall, he will take 2 dam when he lands in the bottom. He also takes 2 dam if he lands directly on the center spike. NOTE that this only works on the 3x3 version, I tested a 4x3 version that is a bit deeper with an air spike and it also works, dealing MORE damage.

Chinizz likes this.
  15. TerryDactyl

Something to be said for making a trap from which the player can escape: it is more inviting, and as such, players will more often fall victim to its wiles, as opposed to waiting by the edge.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Chinizz and Ej like this.
  16. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I tested it, and if you slide slowly down one of the sides you can simply walk to the other side and jump out.

17. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

As killtaron point out, it should be more efficient with air-spikes.

18. BC

BC Bison Rider

I think a recent update changed it so spikes deal damage an extra block away making it impossible to dodge spikes once you fall into my trap.

I've mainly tested this trap as a builder, I get hurt every time I fall in, even if I try sliding slowly. Maybe knights or archers have better luck.

When I design traps, I take this into account :) Nobody wants to jump into a certain death trap. I generally put a wall behind my spike pits to prevent people from jumping over without falling in. Some players will jump into my spike pit if theres a wall to dig under.

If anyone can think of a way to improve this trap, please let me know! Screenshots would be most helpful. The purpose of this trap is to be cheap, effective and fast to build.

19. BlueLuigi

Yea I believe since people are now larger than 2 tiles in height, and a decent little bit more thick, we take damage for over one block because we 'land' on more than one.

20. BC

BC Bison Rider

After further testing, I came up with a more compact version of this trap that deals the same damage, faster to build, but costs 20 extra lumber.

shallow_3wide.jpg

Chinizz likes this.