1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[319] How to Vault Like an Esteemed Professional

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Bracket, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Game elements that add dept are great, but this isn't adding depth so much as creating an artificial and unintuitive barrier for noobs. It's like making moves in a fighting game that are really hard to do and unlisted in the move list. I mean that's cool if it's some useless novelty, but if it were for something simple and important like blocking or moving better that would be really dumb. More advanced players would feel really smug for knowing the move but imagine yourself as a new player trying to learn this hypothetical game?

Bammboo likes this.
  2. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I have done this by accident many times and been like "wtf" and so was the enemy.I thought it was lag.Now i know i can do it whenever i want.I hope this doesnt get patched cause it not like pubs will ever figure it out and if they do they cant share it with those that dont know.

3. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Hummm.

I'm reminded of that one stretch of time where I played that silly little multiplayer platforming game, Transformice, and they had a bug that allowed people to walljump. There were a couple more of these "bugs", like allowing players to make very precise jumps onto the corners of blocks in order to fly across gaps. Experienced players completely screwed over the newbies who didn't know how to do these things. Because if there was a wall and the goal was to get the shaman, who has the same function as a KAG builder, to make you a ramp, walljumpers hopped over the wall. The developers found out and ended up adding a new game mode for players to perfect their skills at this. And I spent a lot of time getting good at it. And it was fun.

Anyway, it's not hard to do, this vaulting. It's been listed here by Bracket. Make it official.

GloriousToast likes this.
  4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

That's fine as part of Transformice's appeal is being glitchy and weird. But I don't think that's what they're trying to do with KAG.

5. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Murr, would it be more okay, then, if vaulting had a vaulting animation and became an official feature?

6. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

I do this quite often, it is helpful in many situations. I would very much like it if it became a serious feature. I mostly only ever get to use it in half-collapsed structures and no-man's-lands. People could simply just build their walls one block higher or line the ground in front of it with stone to prevent it.

7. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I would in-fact like to keep it. Not to mention it keeps the possibilities for jump and puzzle maps open.

Bammboo likes this.
  8. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah I played that to when it come out on newgroudns... At start I saw that other can do things I can't do and that made me want to stay and try to be as good. And after some time I was good enough that I was happy looking at the noobs that didn't know how do this. Even when I didn't know what I was doing I was having fun... maybe because there wasn't killing involved like in KAG that could make you rage "How did he do this to me"... something like some knights fights...

I think that 1 extra block of a jump isn't that game braking and it adds fine dose of depth to the game.

Eggnogg likes this.
  9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Personally I love it, it only seems unintuitive to people who have played many builds before and are just now seeing it come into play. I picked up on it without being told, I noticed I jumped a bit higher from a jump and just kept doing it, then realized 'Oh, that's why'. It's awesome, not much of a noob barrier, and I simply make it a point to tell people who don't get it, although most see me do it and instantly just copy.

10. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

The thing is, it's not like it's hard to figure out. Often you will be just running along and just run into stuff to jump up them, it's alot easier doing that than jumping up onto the lower platform and then jumping up from there. I can see many people just figuring it out by accident, like I did. Noob-friendly is fine, but this kind of thing rewards players that experiment and test things out, getting to know the game a little better. It's meta-gaming. I've said that before but I can't remember where. Besides it's not like it's really important, it's just jumping up one extra block. Most buildings nowadays are way higher than 5 blocks. If you're building 4 block walls on their own, you're doing it wrong, knights can bombjump over those with ease.

Eggnogg and Monsteri like this.
  11. antimattergizmo

antimattergizmo Shipwright

I figured this out quite early like others have said, by just jumping around. A nice guide nontheless. It is sort of like with the double charged slash that beats me a lot. It appears to be more a noob barrier that not being able to do a moderate jump....
    Then again I am terrible at this game so I'm surprises I even knew I could do that instead of going "herp derp the walls too high" :P

12. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

It is actually possible to "vault" over 4 high walls without an edge. You just gotta time it just right, I might make a video later. Geti also allready said that this whole vaulting (nice name btw) is not really intentional and will probably be removed later. So we shouldn't get to excited about it, but thats beside the point.

Right now there is a lot to be considered with "vaulting" in game. For example 4 block high structures are not "safe" anymore. Generally the vertical travel is really powerful with this. I can get up into ridiculous places as knight using this.

13. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Hills stand no match! HAHAHAHAHA!

14. Eggnogg

The reason that I initially didn't like it was because as a builder, I like to build my walls 4 blocks high, then a door, and a block dropper above. This meant that the wall as just high enough so that knights couldn't destroy the door, but just short enough that I could drop the block on them before they had time to react. Having the vault in the game had made me have to build my door an extra block higher, also having to make the block dropper an extra block higher, making it easier for knights to dodge it. But, in the upcoming build, blocks drop MUCH faster, so I'm fine if the vaulting is kept :D

And like I said, vaulting can be really fun for jump maps, I've even been thinking of ways to use it interestingly, and it would be a shame if it those ideas never get to be used :( .

Also, I love how well the walljumping in Transformice has added a whole plethora of techniques to the game.

Neat likes this.
  15. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Maybe we could keep this in, but in a different way? like you vault-jump (still only going the normal jump distance/height) but can land on bridges that you normally couldn't? I don't like this idea, feel free to suggest some more.

16. Eggnogg

I say just have it be a server configuration option, and by default is turned off (that way jump maps are still possible?) :>

17. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Be to confusing to see if every server has/not has it though. Having to try it every-time you join a server.

18. Eggnogg

Well, like I said, it would be turned off by default, and if a server does have it they could say something like "Vaulting enabled" in the description or whatever. But yeah, I see your point.

19. Slather

Slather Bison Rider

Thank you to Bracket for sharing this with us! At least we know how high knights can actually jump.

For anyone that wants it to be legitimized:
    The problem is it wasn't intentional (and is therefore a bug), and makes no sense: "Want to jump higher? You can dig a hole and launch yourself from the edge of the hole." It's also unsupported. Suppose they change something conceptually-distinct from jumping and then vaulting doesn't work anymore (reduce the torque or friction of the knight's collision circle, trying to reduce speed or make walking-in-water most believable perhaps). THEN: (and this has happened over and over) lots of people complain about the knight's jump height, and MM adds another feature or mechanic to compensate, convoluting the gameplay even more...

But it would be a shame to support bugs that makes no sense- like flying across the map while shielding upwards, skybridges, ladder-bridges, trapdoor-ladders, selective bomb-damage, bomb-jumping, rapid-fire arrows, rapid-fire catapults... etc

Perfect example: Bomb-jumping was not intentional, and also makes no sense (anything that exerts THAT much force should probably damage you, huh?). With the current broken game(203), you can bomb-fly MUCH higher than 10 blocks.... as long as you're jumping upward and shielding-up when the BOMB YOU'RE HOLDING IN YOUR HAND explodes. (and you go undamaged lol)

Anyway, little tricks like this make us look like gods to the uninitiated :) Which is what happens when you got skillz.
    btw, I write so much because I'm an indie developer, and I think about this stuff a lot. Not just with KAG.

Bammboo likes this.
  20. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Bomb jumping is intentional dammit. I asked the devs to make it so you can bomb jump without getting stunned and they thought about and decided to put it in. Now it's an accepted feature.

So is gliding. So your "It doesn't make sense" argument is flawed. This feature doesn't make sense, but it's a nice little trick that is rewarded to you when you experiment with jumping. Also as an added side-effect you lose a bit of skill involved in climb maps, even though there still isn't a server for this :(.

Noburu likes this.