1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[394] Guro's guide to offensive building and traps.

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Guro, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gamerbro

Gamerbro Drill Rusher

ok thx :)

2. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Actually, for stopping archers this overhang is hard to get over:

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :spikes::spikes::castle_wall:
    :bow::skull::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall:

Lets not get too far off topic though. . . Maybe you could add a section on what to do against archers Guro?

Guro and Gamerbro like this.
  3. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I don't really think he should, Killatron, because then people would do things to stop archers more. No-one wants that, right? :/

Guro and superpokes like this.
  4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

:bow: :D
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::a_shop:
    :spikes::spikes::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall::a_shop: < Pre-shoot this arrows here
    :a_shop::blank::a_shop: < Pre-shoot this arrows here
    ^ scale up wall and jump across to the right block arrow. Push up and pull to the left once you touch it. Involves a little ceiling climbing, but it's totally doable.

Also nice guide Guro.

Apronymous, Guro and Ghozt like this.
  5. BeenCarl

BeenCarl Catapult Fodder

well if that archer was chasing you, then all these work, but archers tend to stay in one spot. Build yourself cover and quarters to protect and heal yourself, besides that the only combat method as builder is the catapult which is personally my preference in combat.

6. Bullshit, a builder can actually inflict damage in many ways (more than an archer or even a knight). Both in distance and melee combat.

7. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Bloody epic guide, bloody epic work! This makes me want to go builder and try these out on the free servers.

Aladdinsane and Guro like this.
  8. BeenCarl

BeenCarl Catapult Fodder

What with kegs and dropping stone, mighty effective when fighting a distant archer.

9. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Don't forget the trusty catapult!

10. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

He didn't say directly engaging them, just in general as a combat unit a builder can be more useful, area denial, trap building, intelligent use of hammering, the builder is pretty much the most flexible combat unit if you know how to use them.

Chinizz likes this.
  11. BeenCarl

BeenCarl Catapult Fodder

Well I agree with that, I meant dealing with archers in towers.

12. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

Should I remove it from the guide and bug report it?

I'll add that info into the combat section I am working on

It's not about being original or garnering approval/credit/what have you, it's about getting useful information out into the community regarding the value of front-line builders. I found things in sandbox and put them in my guide, but whether or not I actually invented them is irrelevant to their effectiveness in combat situations. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback, but I don't really want this thread to devolve into an argument with you. If you have any constructive criticism then post it here, but say anything else you want to say via PM. Thanks.

I'll fix the design for that trap in the next guide update.

Aladdinsane and killatron46 like this.
  13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'm sure it's been reported already, and I appreciate our honesty!

I believe Geti said they're gonna be pushing out a hotfix soon to rid the game of that bug soon anyway.

14. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Every match I go into there is at least one of your traps in-game, I guess that's good that they are all checking out the forums, but then again they are building your structures, and your structures are horr---i----ble.

15. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Is that a joke? Because these are all pretty great. Guro knows his way around a hammer.

I like this post also. A true builder can be more destructive than any knight's bomb/keg ever could be. Workshop tile stone drops, a well placed spike, catapults, etc. Builders can do a lot more damage in the long run.

In fact, I'm off much of the day tomorrow, I think I need to brush up on my builder. I've gone far too long with being an effective combat builder, save for the after-build phase rush.

Ghozt likes this.
  16. BeenCarl

BeenCarl Catapult Fodder

Why don't builders build towers like... Kag Tower.png So archers or catapults have more places to fire from?

17. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

No cover.
    Not on topic.
    Knights can make there way up.
    Simple notch.
    To tall you get stunned.
    Archers can easily climb over.
    If a knight got on top he could skip the second to.
    A termite could finish them all in literally 30 seconds.
    To much mat waste.

I could go on, but anyways, this is about Guro's thread.

SARGRA13 and killatron46 like this.
  18. BeenCarl

BeenCarl Catapult Fodder

Those are just a representation for towers. I'm not saying use those towers.

19. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Use the extra resources to make some epic nests for cover and extra firing angles, catas should have enough coverage from the top level anyway and shouldn't really be used as a short range defence anyway. Also, multiple towers in a small area detract from their effectiveness and are a waste of resources, if you make a 20 tile high tower 5 tiles away from another then you can just hop from one to the next, so essentially the other tower behind is pointless, and gives the enemy more cover to convert your defences into their own.

Not saying that's what you were suggesting for a minute, just wanted to vent a little ;) Anyway, catas are much better used offensively, for defences you can rely on archers since they don't take up precious stone to fire.

SARGRA13, BeenCarl and Ghozt like this.
  20. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Good, for anyone who builds towers as such deserve to be crucified.

Also Guro, I'd like to see some of these towers used with stone traps.

Guro likes this.