1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[548] Sholf's Trapway

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Sholf, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

Hey guys~! X3
    This is the first (working) trap that I designed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The picture on the left shows the base structure of the trap in order for it to work, while the picture on the right shows the simple upgraded version that I like. Of course you are free to upgrade it any way that you want.

This trap will only work if the enemy is coming from right to left.
    If you make the mirrored version of the trap it will work from left to right.

This trap is completely team-safe, unless they're stupid enough to jump on it of course.

Advantages:
    -Fast kill.
    -Surprise attack, enemy wont destroy it because they think they can simply go through it.
    -Enemy most likely wont jump over it as it looks harmless.
    -With certain upgrades, enemy can't jump over it.
    -Cheap, fast, and easy to make. The base structure only costs 80 woods and 26 stones.

Disadvantages:
    -Because it works as a surprise trap, once enemy knows it they can easily disarm it with bombs or builders.
    -Some newb builders in your team would actually mess up the trap by placing doors or fixing the trap bridge.

How does it work?
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    -Despite what it looks like, her health bar was full before she went in the trap.
    -This trap utilizes the auto-spike* mechanism and will insta-kill any enemy running through it.
    -This is why the trap works best with baiting as shown in the picture.

How to make it?
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    -I used team door because I could destroy it in 1 hit when its open.
    -You need to hit the lower trap bridges once to make it as shown in the picture above.
    -Do NOT put anything in the red boxes shown in the picture below, or the trap will malfunction.
    [​IMG]

That's about it, critiques and suggestions are very welcome! ;)

Important note:
    This trap shouldn't be used as a base of a big structure (like walls or towers) as it can be easily destroyed. The best place to put this trap would be at small passages like tunnels. (Thanks ParaLogia for the suggestion!)

*If you don't know about the auto-spike mechanism, you should read this:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/228-auto-spikes-air-spikes.2712/#post-43162
    Credits to Wyeth for making an awesome guide about it!

Hallic, -Q, Rambo and 15 others like this.
  2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

This is very basic, being a just two autospikes next to each other. But it is good to see that people are going through the Builder section and reading these guides. :thumbs_up:

The main thing I don't like about these traps, especially putting them at the base of a structure, even though they are very deadly, is that they make the structure very vulnerable because enemies can just waltz right in once the trap has been disabled, or even if they're just careful while passing through. :hammer:

The trap can be quickly removed by a builder, or even a knight, since they can break the damaged bridges. Bombs would probably work too. In addition, you can easily pass through this trap by simply moving very slowly. (Shielding while walking works for knights.:sword: )
    In general, this trap, like most others, works great as a newbie shredder, but contributes little for a solid structure.

One thing you might want to mention is that it works great in tunnels (especially in the dark for gold servers). :lantern:
    [​IMG]

Another aspect I like is that you gave specific instructions for the building of this trap, including the little trick with the bridge and the door. It helps people be more efficient. :)

3. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

Thanks for the feedback! :)
    Yeah it's true that once the enemy figures out that it's a trap they can easily disarm it, I wrote that in the disadvantages section.
    I wouldn't use this as a base of a structure, this is more suitable in the middle of the map (and maybe inside tunnels like you suggested, that's a great idea!), but maybe I should mention that in case people use it as a base of a big structure.

Thanks again for the suggestions! Sorry if the design is very basic, I'm quite new on KAG but I love the builder so much! X3

Froghead48 likes this.
  4. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Nice design. But the problem I have with these type of buildings is their bomb vulnerability. 1 bomb from the enemy and the trap is rendered useless with the base structure making it easy for the reds to turn it into their forward tower. And assuming that it will be built in a CTF server, thats a lot of bombs. You should consider putting a roof over it (So enemies cant jump over it...) and then putting doors behind it. So that if the trap is destroyed then you have a secondary defence. Nice design though I wouldnt recommend it for a tower.

5. D0ubl3Tr0ubl3

D0ubl3Tr0ubl3 Shopkeep Stealer

Interesting design. Enemies can easily shut down with bombs or builders.

6. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/203-acavado-spikes.2109/

The problem with this type of building is that enemies some smart enemies, will simply jump on the bridge, or destroy the bridges if nobody is defending. also, many new players dont understand these traps and will door that area, or simply remove everything.

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Hmm I can't seem to get this working. How flexible is it near structures?

8. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Yes I do realize it's bomb/builder vulnerability, I wrote that in the disadvantages section.
    One thing to keep in mind though that this trap works as a surprise trap.
    Unless the enemy is experienced, they wouldn't waste a bomb to destroy something that they can simply walk though right?
    That's why putting a door, like Force recommended, would actually ruin the purpose of the trap.

What Froghead48 said is completely right though, many newbie builders in our team would "fix" the trap because they thought it was a "broken" structure. In fact, when I use that trap in CTF it gets destroyed more often by builders in my team than by enemies lol.

Jackard: You can't put any solid block (including team bridges) one block above the right spike and one block top-right of the right spike or the trap will malfunction. I'll try to add a new section about it with pictures when I have time.

9. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Good point. I hadnt thought about it at that aspect. But just wondering. If the enemy were to, say jump over the trap would they still be instakilled?

10. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

Nope, that's why you should either use it at tunnels or upgrade it (like I did with mine) so the enemy can't jump over it.

Anyway from my experience sometimes enemies doesn't jump over it even though I only make the base structure. Maybe that's because they saw me walk through it without getting harmed so they thought it wouldn't harm them as well?

11. Clost

Clost Arsonist

Just a little question : Does the trap work in the new release? I tested it but it seems to not work.

12. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

I just tested it and it still works for me.
    Keep in mind that the trap is team-safe, so it wouldn't work on the builder, you.
    One way to test the trap by yourself is to remove both upper trap bridges (those are the part of the trap that makes it team-safe).

13. Clost

Clost Arsonist

Yeah, I know. It was probably a bug when I built it. Thanks for the answer ^^ and btw, nice trap ;).

14. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

How and why do these works?

15. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

16. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

17. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

18. Sholf

Sholf Catapult Fodder

19. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

20. ParaLogia

No, not really. That one doesn't even work. At all.
    Sholf's trap requires damaged trap bridges in order to hurt enemies.