1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[590] Above Ground Pits

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by BC, Jan 19, 2013.

1. BC

BC Bison Rider

• added build number
    Above Ground Pits:
    • Cheap.
    • Quick to build.
    • Traps enemies.
    • Makes it easier to traverse a rough landscape.
    • Connect to friendly towers for added support.
    above_ground_pit.png

Expanded:
    above_ground_pit_expanded.png

If you build taller pits, enemies that fall in will more trouble getting out.

tall_above_ground_pit.png

Expanded:
    tall_above_ground_pit_expanded.png

2. Ravenplucker

Ravenplucker Builder Stabber

I saw you making these in the admins vs pubs yesterday. I was skeptical, but these are surprisingly effective. Bombjumping is pretty much rendered null, except if they manage to hit the pillars.

I'm going to start trying these out.

3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

These work extremely well. Not only do they hinder the enemy as a quick defense, they are really easy to put up and provide great support to your main tower.

4. Exactly. Once I saw [user]BC[/user] doing those pits on his server I immediately fell in love with them and started to using them. Really good job! Thumbs up! :thumbs_up:

Here's the version of it I'm actually using.

abc.PNG

I3lue likes this.
  5. Omen267901

Omen267901 Shopkeep Stealer

It looks really cool. I'll do a review.

Pros:
    1. Low resource - You don't need millions of stone for spikes.
    2. Fast - You don't have to dig out like 30 blocks to make it.
    3. Somewhat-bombproof - It'll take two bombs, unless it's a really skilled knight. If you add back wall on the outsides too, it'll be even better.

Cons:
    1. Easily collapsed - A builder could collapse this really quick. adding more back walls may help this.
    2. Archer's - Anyone passing through is easy prey for archers.
    3. Greifers. Easily greifed for the same reason as 1.

6. Lol I've seen BC use this sooo many times on Flatmap and Dr.Frinks.
    It's really great for expanding the reach of your territory too. Just keep connecting these together and before you know it your 3/4ths of the map into enemy ground :)

7. Omen267901

Tried it out. Here's a shot of me using it to span a gap.
    [​IMG]

AL3X_j_M likes this.
  8. -Q

-Q Donator

Omen, your variant seems much more resource-intensive. Basically minecraft-shit eye-candy.

I do have to say though, I like the idea of a sort-of distributed building, making it harder for the enemy to recapture terrain. I disagree with some criticisms of being 'easy to grief', I do in fact believe that if you have a large enough horizontal field, it can be quite hard, or nigh impossible to 'grief'.

This has really opened my eyes, I'd say, on what's possible. People always vertically integrate so often, that you forget the benefits of this sort of build.

9. Omen267901

I know. You don't need the bottom to be all stone. you can make it wood or stone every 2.

10. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

However, there is the issue that knights can slash jump to the top of the first pillar and continue from there.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Seen this used so many times. Suprisingly effective.

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This,make the first pillar a bit taller (4-5 stone taller, with backwall on your side so a bomb won't instantly break it).

13. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Basically make it six blocks of stone or higher and put trapbridges to allow your team. No way a single knight can get past without using a bomb. And also never put trap bridges higher than 3 blocks if its higher than 3 then knights can turn them neutral.

14. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

[​IMG]

Hes already done that Bluigi.

15. GreenArrow17

GreenArrow17 Shark Slayer

There soo annoying to be traped in!

At first when i saw them i thought they were way too flimsy and not substantal enough.but they turn out to be a cost effective strong structure.

I would make each wall 2 blocks higher every time u progess back so u cant slash vault it

BlueLuigi likes this.
  16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Was referring to Omen's attempt. :)

Was quoting j who quoted Omen, multiquoting doesn't enjoy working here sadly :P

killatron46 likes this.
  17. Eden

Eden Galen Slayer Donator

If there's anyone doubting this technique.

Trust me, they may not be hard to over come.. sometimes they can, but repeatedly... they are so effing annoying.

-nikci out

BlueLuigi likes this.
  18. Omen267901

I wonder how this would work on the fast saiyan server. :eek::p25252525

19. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

hmmm cant you dig your way under?

blazer878 likes this.
  20. Eden

Eden Galen Slayer Donator

That would take a sufficient amount of time, and the purpose of this building would serve that right perfectly, you would be worrying about digging under those things which would take about 50 seconds, and the time to build them is 10. And, if you cover the base of them with stone, or you build them on bedrock, then your fucked.