1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[590] The Archer Turtle

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Alaiscool, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

After fooling around on a ctf server I had lots of archers bugging me to make them a archer den. And I made alot but i found the most cheap and efficient one i have made was this one: The Turtle

Pros : So cheap and fast
    : Quite durable against knights
    : Can be manned by many archers
    : Can cover large areas

Cons: A single builder can come across and place a block to clog up the hole
    : 2 bombs will take it down
    : It takes a knight 20 seconds to break down

Version 1
    Turtle.PNG

Version 2
    Turtle2.PNG

Tips: Take down builders really fast or they will destory it
    : Bomb Chutes are really effective against knights
    : It is reccomended to wall in so the enemy does not know if there is a archer in there.

2. Force

Force Shark Slayer

You do know that a bomb explosion will go through the stone?

But otherwise I guess it could work with a lot more tweaking.
    So work on it.
    P.S. Try to incorporate it into a building of some sort, it will significantly increase its effectiveness.

3. DubstepMonkey

DubstepMonkey Horde Gibber

Very nice! its cheap, effective and trust worthy for most of the time.. I recommend instead of that bomb chute add a 5x3 spike trap and 4 trap bridges in a row to hide archers better. Also this is very useful if you have low resources and have quite a lot of archers on your team also i recommend with Force tweak it a bit it may help.
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::bridge::bridge:
    :castle_wall::bridge::bridge:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

4. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

Bomb damage goes though walls? :O Ok ill just thicken the stone, and i usually build a tower above it to make it harder to destory :D Also i think adding trap doors makes it alot more wood heavy but ill try using it :D

Force likes this.
  5. -Crimson-

-Crimson- Haxor

If bomb damage does go through walls, then you could just make a deeper bottom so you could hide if a bomb comes or it won't kill you.

6. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

I worked on it.

There are many crucial flaws in the design.
    1. One bomb kills all archers inside the trap.
    2. Three bombs collapse the trap completely.
    3. Two bombs let enemy gain access and it can be used by enemy archers as a small bunker for protection.
    4. This doesn't let archers aim too high up - just at ground level.
    Here's a version:
    screen-13-03-31-21-55-55.png

Knights can't bomb archers inside the hole. Modified spike trap at front. Make front slightly taller(2 blocks). Takes knight three bombs to break in and kill archers(via the back entrance. Two bombs via the stone above the team doors in the middle). Archers can dig away or you can make it deeper and fortify it, securing archer safety even more so.

I think this is a better version.

7. All this for nothing...

Epically bad positioning...

Let me ask you a question: What can you actually shoot?

The dirt block blocks a large portion of the archer's angle.
    Do not even have to mention the cost.

PS: Do not be offended. Just pointing something out.

8. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

The positioning was not intentional. I don't think of the positioning when I give examples, I think it's stupid. :P

I'm not offended. I'm never offended. It's supposed to be constructive criticism. <3

NOTE: Don't position The Turtle where I did or it's kind of useless after that.

CoughDrop and soulrealm like this.
  9. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

I have to say your turtle looks way bettter than mine, but my design was based off having to build a fast and cheap archer base in moments not a war machine of mass destruction :D

10. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

This isn't a war machine. xD

I'll time myself building it then post the time as an edit. :p
    Time: 2 minutes, 6.1 seconds.

11. Well it doesn't work either way...you'll have to come up with a design (I'm too lazy) that solves resource cost, time and safety issues.

12. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

Although, the main version is OK. It's cheap and takes about 20 seconds. Just add the team doors and 2 deep hole and it's good.

13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Yeah, definitely go by anything soulrealm has to say. *cough*

Anyway, this actually isn't bad, considering it's something fast and cheap.

14. you're*

CoughDrop and Justpad like this.
  15. Supran0va

Supran0va Ballista Bolt Thrower

guise the reason why its called an archer nest is because it is for archers only, you can press s (down button) so you wouldnt be damaged by the bomb. it would take 2 bombs to take the archer out.
    [​IMG]
    updated as of: april 2, '13
    [​IMG]
    when a bomb is thrown into the bunker, and the bomb is on one of the team/trap doors you just step on them so the bomb would fall then climb up to the ladder to not get damaged. if a bomb is thrown at your shooting place, move to the left.

CrystalClear likes this.
  16. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

Very Nice! But I'd put something like a trap door so you dont accidenidntally kill a team mate. I would double the doors as it takes longer for the knights to make a hole and chuck a (deadly) bomb in.

17. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I like Supra's designs a bunch. Might try to implement some of these later tonight after work!

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This is fairly similar in principle to the "knee-shooters" that Kouji used to favour. Having archers shooting from ground level with protection is useful, but all of these designs will suffer from the fundamental problem of being bomb weak. I would consider building a small bomb catcher inside the archer bunker. I don't know how often it would be worth the time investment but it could give the archers in there a slightly higher chance of survival.

killatron46 likes this.
  19. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

NEW DESIGN!
    Turtle 3.PNG
    Pros : Way way more range! Can shoot up to 80 degrees up!
    : Spike for some random reason seems to do damage when you rub against it now!

Cons: Knights can now bomb alot easier
    : Bombs will kill if placed at the front now

20. Pressing does not prevent your death from a bomb in this case. Please go revise. 1 single bomb will still kill/damage the archer.

arcanecat likes this.