1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[590] The Ultimate Allurement - by noonann

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Noonan, Apr 25, 2013.

?

Do you think this design would be effective in an actual match?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Possibly

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Noonan

Noonan Poots Donator

This tower is something I have been trying to create for some time. I've bee trying to maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of the tower, so it can be implemented into gameplay.
    See the spoiler below

[​IMG]
    Comprised of two sets of trap bridges: Top and bottom, both have different effects.
    Dimensions: The staircase is the most important part, it goes 8 blocks deep and 10 blocks across with a gradient of -1 (down 1 across 1 etc.). The trap bridges are used in sets of 5 across for maximum efficiency.
    The rest of the tower you should be able to figure out from the image.

The basics ideas behind this tower is that the enemy will be able to jump over the forward most wall into this 'staircase' where the trap bridges overhang. It is designed to make the enemy (knight) to think they can slash over into the doorway, where I will be taunting them ;) , but of course they cannot make the distance which will then leave them to fall into this 'staircase'. This is the first part of the trap, once they are in, they cannot get out (unless there is a builder or they are an archer). If they could get out they would have to react very quickly, and this may not even be enough.

The enemy is thinking two things right now, they want to go underneath the trap bridges and try break their way up, blinded to the fact that they are underneath this trap and will surely be their death if they continue. The other thing they could be thinking is that, of course, there is a trap there so I will keep my distance. They will then migrate to the bottom of this hill (or anywhere on the hill that is not under the trap bridges). This is when they realise that they are stuck, which will then lead them to a jumping/slashing fit in attempting to escape. What they don't know is that anywhere on that hill is in extreme danger of the collapse..
    See spoiler below

The collapse obviously rolls down this hill, invisible, and hurts the enemy. The top collapse seems more effective due to it doing 3 hearts almost instantly. While the bottom collapse seemed to have some sort of delay when the enemy takes damage. This is extremely effective in larger populated servers when there are a lot more players charging, and with this, they seem to get a little clumsy. I would recommend just to use the top collapse due to it being higher up and safer to use.
    The top collapse bridges can be dropped from behind the walls of the tower, and can be rebuilt within the tower, exposing little of yourself to the enemy, ensuring maximum safety. The two team doors and the square of ladders directly above the top collapse bridges enables you to be able to replace the trap bridges from there, without exposing yourself too much and decreasing the chances of being hit by archers. There are a few other features in this tower, but they are pretty self explanatory in the image.
    Also a special thanks to Ravenplucker and SentinelTank.
    NOTE: This tower will be most effective on blue team.

I hope you like it, :thumbs_up:

2. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

Red: "Load the catapult!"
    It's an okay tower/trap. I probably wouldn't use this in game though... plenty of other traps for that type of shit.

CrystalClear likes this.
  3. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

There is not many other traps like this, you may think this is useless but really, its a grinder on the enemy.
    -Tall enough to throw long distance bombs.
    -Bomb jump resistant.

The staircase is a good idea but i think it may need some tweaking. Enemy builder could just build trap bridges off the staircase and not worry about the collapse, maybe only high enough so the opposing team can't slash/vault off it to safety.

I would add a door way with some shops at the top, but anyway, good.:)

Calindrus and noonann like this.
  4. Noonan

Noonan Poots Donator

It's just a basic template which has the major features. You can modify anyway you want, as long as the main ideas are kept the same. Thanks for the feedback

MINIMAN likes this.
  5. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

The tower to the left looks good, it has a nice balance of durability, and easy of use, I might add another archer hole between first one and the top but overall its good. However, the requirements of the pit(too much time) for collapses and the small tower(waste of resources) in the front to "trap" knights is impractical for a real game.

Keep in mind when I say using too much time and resources, I'm assuming you would be using that time and resources for another tower. One of these would take the same amount of time to create and gather resources for than to make two of just the tower on the left. Wouldn't you rather have two towers than one tower with pit collapse option?

noonann likes this.
  6. Doing the 5 tile jump on the bottom will deactivate the bridge making it useless

7. Noonan

Noonan Poots Donator

Yes, but these 'two towers' wouldn't take much to get over. All it takes is a builder and a few knights to ladder up and take control. My design is not only to stop the occasional knights jumping in, but also if a builder comes in attempt to ladder up. This trap will not only get rid of the builder, but also the knights supporting him/her. Plus it isnt hard to maintain these traps once they are up.
    You are right about it taking longer to build.

As I said in the post, I would recommend just using the top collapse bridge

8. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

As noonann said, the two towers could be a setback to the team.
    Would you rather-
    A: Have a builder finishing off the second building that the enemy could just take over and convert into their building and not waste any of their time building their own?
    B: Or have your builder build the tower in the 'build time' and build small walls (mini fortifications) along the battlefield?

Having small structures will give less to the enemy, and + maps aren't very big in the arl, KAG gather, cw's.

9. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Most people dont appreciate the thought gone into this.
    I will most definitely be trying this trick in the future.
    I dont say this to many people but: Good job Noonan!

noonann likes this.
  10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

This certainly looks fun if nothing else

11. I didn't see that part ;-;

12. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I would suggest moving or getting rid of the trapbridge on the right side of the pit. That can still be damaged by a knight and used to avoid any collapse-dust deaths from those bridges on the left. Still won't be going anywhere if there is an archer around, but the point of this trap seems to be quick, easy kills from the collapse.

CheeseMeister likes this.
  13. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I can't find any maps where you can actually set one of these up.

14. Noonan

Noonan Poots Donator

Thanks for the feedback, I do believe though, that the that trapbridge is nearly impossible for a single knight to break. It's a little too high for them to reach.

That depends on the servers you play and their map rotation. I play on Australian servers, and have no trouble finding a map where I can set it up.