1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[748][Gen] Knight Combat Discussion

Discussion in 'Knight' started by LetsplayCmansez, May 3, 2013.

1. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I am enjoying knight right now, the combat is a lot less clunky and stiff as the classic knight, and a lot more skill based! Controls are a tiny bit more slippery though, and combined with how slippery doors are to use...I've fallen off some buildings here and there.

I do like the directional shield, only issue is the fact you have to aim makes it even harder to defend against archers than it already is...(don't even get me started on the brokenness of archers)

This would be pretty great, because then it would encourage people to build a barracks/defenses as soon as possible instead of building siege weapons, rushing over to the enemy, and wrecking everything. I'd rather knight/archer/barrack rushing more than siege/boat rushing. It is just a lot easier to counter/you will be more likely to have at least one person on your team thinking and building the correct buildings!

2. Vaine

Vaine Horde Gibber

I find knight is alot more skill orientated.

For all the people saying that jab-spamming is the only way to win, this is false. The only reason people spam commands is because the beta has only been out for a few days and people are not familiar with the new knight mechanics, meaning, they jab spam.

Digger101 likes this.
  3. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I agree, on a seperate note there is an unused file that describes a "tech tree" of sorts, it talks about masonry and carpentry and metal-working and stuff like that. I'm not the best at deciphering the mess of code that is the game files but it's still pretty interesting and I think the game would've been better if they had finished it.

and the only thing more rage-inducing then being on a team of idiots that don't help you rush the enemy is having 1 guy yell "hey everyone get in the boat we have a catapult and a warboat get in we are rushing the enemies" in global chat

Apronymous likes this.
  4. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Key thing about something called Beta is that it isn't finished. How many people have to tell you this?
    Knight combat can still change. All the combat is liable to tweaks and small changes. I'd probably even go so far as to predict balancing changes in future, just like there was in Classic, and just like there generally is in most games which are in a beta phase.

Apronymous and Froghead48 like this.
  5. eamono

eamono Arsonist

1. I realize that it's not finished, I just don't think it's too likely that a tech tree will be added in

2. When did I complain about knight combat?

6. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

7. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

i dont care, jabs were so bad before, they just should decrease stun or buff shield. leave jabs alone now

8. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Jabs before the update were fine, people could still jab spam,what's wrong with it now.....

9. JoshTG

thats a lie^

Jabs needed to be faster they were basically useless before, it was slashes or nothing.

People noticed the new jab speed but neglect to notice that from the getgo you could slash someone before they even could get out of stun and kill them in 2 single slashes incredibly easily...

10. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

oh and i liked the old physics. in alpha the knight could parkor and freerun faster than any realife human
    now there is LESS clunk it is just stupid

11. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Really? I thought spacebar was nice.
    Allows you to run right and light a bomb at the same time.

I like the doubleslash, it's harder to pull off, but it gives good knights advantages over the others.
    Unfortunately, I'm one of those "others" =<

Apronymous and Digger101 like this.
  12. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

My points
    • Space bar bombs are good
    • Running is a little slippery but learn-able. (Might have to start making 3 high doors more...)
    • Jabbing is fine, useful but not OP
    • Slash and double slash are great. A well timed double slash it murder!
    • Cata massacres everything if used right. Maybe a little nerf?
    • Building time, or "technologies restricted" time for WAR mode would be a great addition, although it would have to be explained to the player fully.
    • All the new directional stuff akes it harder which is great = more skill required
    • Archers...:rollseyes:
    • Kegs kinda fuck shit up way more than they should (they rebuilt as you respawn, ready for the next rush a bit to quickly...I would know I'm a Keg spammer at heart25252525 )

13. RoboHobo

RoboHobo Shipwright

Jab's should be able to interrupt charging slashes, i mean why bother jabbing when you can slash and slash? The only perks jabbing has is it's fast, which is really good against archers and builders. Compared to slashing, more damage and can stagger enemies plus the reach/momentum. When facing another knight, it's just a dancing game of who times his charge perfectly. Jabs that can interrupt slashes will break that cycle and add more combat strategy when fighting knights.

14. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

One, the last post was two months ago. Two, it is a mix of timing your slash perfectly and having a better ping than the other knight.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For what it's worth over the last 2 years we've had a large mixture of jabs interrupting or not interrupting slashes, and there are a few pros and cons to remember when talking about it

For:​
    May increase depth of knight combat​
    Reduces the apparent power of the slash​
    Gives jab spammers instant gratification​
    Against:​
    Makes knight combat even more ping dependent (the lagging knight cant cancel the low ping knights slashes)​
    May devolve into a jab spam fest therefore decreasing the depth of knight combat​
    Reduces the apparent power of the slash (intended to be a powerful move)​
    Gives jab spammers instant gratification​

Honestly the real deciding factor is ping - even 100 ping with jabs that reset your timer gives the enemy a large window for interrupting your attack and causing a visual desync on your screen. You know that feeling when you slash someone and then _you_ get hurt and they start jab spamming you to death? That's caused by timer reset.

My ideal is to not have jabs interrupting slashes, but to include a bashing mechanic for countering slashes. We'll get around to this when we have time, I'm afraid - there's a lot of stuff that needs our attention outside of knight combat, which even if biased towards slashes and dancing is easy to pick up and play with (unlike a lot of the other rough edges).

16. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I like the idea of bashes but it seems hard to balance, it wouldn't make any sense if jabs went through a shield bash, but if that were the case what would stop me from just bash-spamming to infinity? But either way, knight combat shouldn't be a priority at this point :)

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Bash could easily have a cooldown, leave you exposed from one side for an extended period of time, require a charge like a slash, remove your control over what direction you were going, etc etc to prevent spamming shieldbash from being overpowered.
    The way i see it working is charging your shield then pressing jump (while shielded), moving you ~5 tiles in the direction you're aiming, bashing and stunning or dazing (like with water) whatever enemies you hit in that line - this would allow you to move forward aggressively without risking getting slashes, preventing a lot of the lame "1v1 me fucker" dancing we see in both the beta and alpha.

18. JoshTG

Hahahahahah, best way i've ever seen dancing explained hands down.

Monsteri likes this.
  19. Geti

A little late in response, but I do what I can.