1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[939][Gen] Water Ammo Discussion

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by JoshTG, Nov 11, 2013.

1. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

pls remove water ;_;

never ever remove mine body detonating

Contrary likes this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Not likely, I see water as a fairly interesting mechanic and something that seems to really effectively keep "pro" knights on their toes. I also see scrubs wasting them just as they waste mines, kegs, bomb arrows, etc on a daily basis. They can always be removed or made more expensive in comp servers if they're a concern.

I see saws as a much bigger issue, so that should be patched tonight ( hurrah ).

3. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Getting spammed by a bucket of water that stuns you isn't interesting (was it removed?).

4. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

This is made me close my game and leave servers many times. If not water bombs, PLEASE remove bucket spamming

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Being randomly prevented from controlling your character for 5 seconds isn't interesting at all. It doesn't keep you on your toes at all- there's not defense against it so it's not like it's not like you simply have to pay closer attention to the game. It's an unfair mechanic that harshly lessens skill.

16th and kedram like this.
  6. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

Contrary speaks the truth, water buckets for one needs to be fixed. it just a stun that still allows you to attack the enemy. and if your in water while this happens its even more op. water bombs in my opinion either need to be removed or nerfed. knights having water bombs makes no sense and adds a certain layer of bs to the game. I am perfectly fine with water arrows the way they are accept for maybe the cost of them in ctf, but hell i wont complain about that if its not tweeked a bit. In the end most of us agree that water is an unfair tool that many abuse and take advantage of and needs to be tweeked severely to make the game truely fair. also.... geti are you implying the addition of water ammo was to purposely nerf pro knights? i mean i know its good for putting out fires but what you said about keeping them on their toes. it seems a bit unfair that water was added for that reason when its actually the players fault if he loses. adding a mechanic to make the loser have a chance seems a bit odd and unjust. just sayin ::(:

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No kedram, I'm not saying or implying that.

Re: buckets, I agree that they shouldn't and consider that a bug, one that I'll be trying to fix today after I'm done studying. The code there is the usual level of tangly and distributed across around 8 files, so i've got to make sure I don't inadvertently break water putting out fires or similar.

Re: "waterbombs unfair" I completely disagree. Both teams and all players have the option of using them, and they allow one player to tip the balance of a small area in their favour for a measly five seconds, for 30c. If the player using them nets more space and more coins from that, they used the item well. As I said, I often see them entirely wasted.

Contrary: consider that the only guaranteed kill with them is throwing them from the correct distance as you're winding up a slash that you know you can land. Too close and you stun yourself, too far and they are out of reach and you just wasted 30 coins. When they're used on clear ground or from a good distance you can actually toss them back (or simply away), if you're quick.

...Also you just suggested getting hit by a moving object (with a fairly slow, very predictable path) is "random". I believe that is misguided, perhaps on the same level as Monsteri's conviction that slashing incoming arrows is the better way to block them.

Maybe this is more of a problem in TTH, but I've considered the balance there broken for a long time and haven't heard any fantastic ideas on how to fix everything there, and have just focussed on the (pretty good, imo, maybe a bit siege heavy) CTF balance.

Taiga and WarrFork like this.
  8. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

Kedram, a game developers job is to focus on the average player, not the 'pro-player' The game can only be fun if both the losing and winning side is enjoying themselves. Water is useful regardless, I doubt Geti thought about people using buckets to spam it.

9. Geti

We/I did, and it was originally much harder to spam. The balance got skew when MM upped the range and made it three splashes per bucket, and it didn't get fixed :^)

I've just made the following changes to water stuff now (still in dev build, will make it to test and be released w/ the saws change and a few other fixes tonight)
    • Added a water_stun hitter, water hitter doesn't cause stun any more
    • Bucket doesn't stun at all (does still splash the same size w/ 3 splashes)
    • Water bombs pass through team-mates
    • Splash sprites more accurately show the area of the splash
    • No change to water arrows
    Re: keeping them on their toes, to clarify: I've noticed most good knights will shy off (with good reason) if you get out a water bomb or they know you often use them. Doesn't work very well on pubs that don't know what that bubbling white thing you pulled out will do to them. I find they're very good for crowd control or getting a bit of breathing room either way, a nice break from endless slashing and hoping I dont get tripped up by something (to be clear, the last part is fairly tongue in cheek).

10. Arcrave

Arcrave http://tinyurl.com/ArcravesTheme Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The solution is simple, make all water ammo cost 10k. Its a very bad mechanic, players literally buy four of them and specifically chase ME with them knowing ill rage really hard (@Boxpipe you shitter). Its cheap and if you use them you should feel terribad as you are probably worse than players who spam :food:'s in TTH... maybe.

Birdman159 and kedram like this.
  11. Whale

Whale Impervious Donator

my aquatic brethren speak truth.

kedram likes this.
  12. Contrary

@Geti: The problem with water bombs isn't one player using them to stun then finish off another, it's the following, common scenario:

Knights A and B are approaching enemy knights 1 and 2. A and B approach 1 with well timed, well positioned slashes. 1 mashes on his space bar. A, B and 1 are instantly stunned with no room for response. 2 gets free kills.

Even outside of this scenario it's the fact that fights happen in groups that breaks water ammo. Unlike normal bombs which need to be cooked water bombs can be primed and fired basically instantly. Now don't tell me "oh you can just grab it out of the air and toss it back in the middle of a fight" because water bombs don't need to hit directly and will generally proc on teammates or walls. Then there are water arrows...

You can theoryKAG all sorts of stuff like "grab it out of the air", "don't stand near teammates" and "position yourself so that they always knock you out of slash range" but in the chaos of an actual game, having an instant, ranged AOE stun is simply bad design. It's like making a Mario game and having invisible instakill spikes in random places.

If superior players are shying away from lesser ones because of a commonly available item, that should be a clear sign something is direly wrong.

SamuraiCupcake, 16th and kedram like this.
  13. kedram

I would love to say this is enough to covince the devs to nerf water bombs but its probobly not. in fact they buffed water bombs now with the fact that they just pass through teamates now anyone can just water bomb you. well if worst comes to worse we will just simply mod it out of server clan war situations.

14. Geti

I'm not talking from a theoryKAG position though, I've been playing as long as you have.

I'm not convinced by your "mario plus invisible instakill spikes" analogy, there isn't even really a premise for it to hold. Similarly, just calling something "bad design" doesn't contribute to the discussion about why it's bad design.

Explain in real terms why an item that stops an enemy unit, allowing it to be killed with proper timing is "bad design". Slowing/immobilising/sleeping etc is very common in a lot of games, competitive and otherwise that are lauded for "good design" or at least "interesting design".
    - sleep/freeze/paralyse in pokemon
    - sandman stun in tf2
    - dizzy in sf2+
    - queens ensnare in SC

I realise that these are often controversial and I'm willing to find some compromise, but just discarding a stun/shieldbreak item as "bad design" is both blind and unconvincing.

If the AOE is the specific issue, note that the AOE has already been successively nerfed to accomodate for players crying about a group getting cleaned up by a water bomb. It's currently got a radius of around 3-4 tiles, if my memory serves correctly.

Now, I'm not denying that it might be a case of bad design, as such judgements are completely subjective, but I am asking you to explain your position and reasoning better than you are - the examples I've been given are Arcrave's player targetting situation (hamstring their better knight) and your better teamplay situation (A and B get stunned by 1, 2 cleans up A and B). I don't see these as "legit" problem cases.

Arcrave's situation is one (or more) player(s) specifically targetting another so he can't take on groups like he normally would. He can play more defensively, use projectiles (incl water bombs) or ideally receive more team support. The enemy being able to force him out of the normal aggressive surfing role means the items use is significant.

Contrary's ABvs12 situation is indeed fairly common, however knights grouping up excessively like that always take a risk that they'll get wiped out by a cata shot, ballista bolt, single boulder, etc. I don't care how well timed they are, should they be invincible just because they're playing well? Is the strategy of using water bombs like this particularly sustainable, or does it only allow easy support vs one small group per water bomb? Again, i find this case unconvincing.

@kedram: I already said above if they're seen as such an issue it's well within the community's power to remove them from competitive situations.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  15. kedram

Geti, i see what your saying about other games having this kind of stun. sc being the most competative game out of them all. that game is fairly ballanced and theres a reason things like the queens ensnare exist. what i think were all looking for is this. we want water bombs to not explode on impact. this forces a player to get good at the timing of a water bomb to throw it at the exact time when it would explode next to the enemy and then stun them. right now its as easy as 123 to completely ruin any hope a knight has of doing anything at all with an instant stun on contact device. it just seems too easy for anyone to use water bombs to stun you. Is that reasonable to consider geti? i mean it adds a new layer of depth to using water bombs and would actualy make it a challenge to use it instead of having a practiall instakill everytime a knight uses one. and trust me 9/10 it does kill me when some guy decides to use one.

16. Contrary

Wasn't implying that, was responding to the "tossing them back" point which I felt to be a little unreasonable, even as a secondary point.
    I'm alluding to the fact that at any point in normal reasonable play you could be harshly punished. Unless you have absolute knowledge of your opponent's inventory, any sword fight could result in you being instantly stunned.
    True. I'll try to keep things more argument oriented.

Because all of these can be fought against. In Pokemon it is common to have a designated "sleep absorber", something that can either switch into and negate the effects of sleep or is not disadvantaged too much by it (has moves that are usable while asleep). Freeze can be undone by use of specific moves and each paralysis inducing move is ineffective on at least one type of Pokemon (and there are numerous abilities which prevent it). That said there is a lot of random proccing of freeze and paralysis and even we scream bullshit and call that bad noncompetitive play. Dizzy in SF requires you to beat the hell out of your opponent first, ensare only targets one unit not everything you control like water ammo (if there was an ability that prevented someone from doing anything for 5 seconds in Starcraft that would be ridiculous). Sandman I don't enough to comment on.

The problem isn't the stun, it's the magnitude of the effect combined with the ease that it happens.
    I think we would be amenable to a suitable nerf. But the intensely negative response could be seen as indication of how harmful the mechanic is.
    Fair. Argument mode gooo.
    It's not just a group situation. Again, at any point where you attempt to engage a knight in melee combat you have a chance of being stunned.
    Well that's a question for you really. I think it's clear we think so but it really is a judgement of the developer how much they want skill to matter.

kedram likes this.
  17. Geti

I've done it a few times and had it done to me a few times, I agree that it's not a viable retaliation to the close range "drop a stun" usage but its quite effective if you think of it when they're tossing bombs at you in water or on a hill. Give it a go. I'm well aware it's not a reliable counter.

The same is true of being a builder and someone having a drill in their inventory, or someone whipping out a mine and using a body to blast through doors, or saw traps in general, or slashing someone with a keg, or heck, moving near a boat, or accidentally dropping the flag. It's not meant to be particularly forgiving.

You can ensnare quite a good group of units fwiw. The sandman stun locks up your character for a time proportional to the distance it was thrown from. Dizzy is still a stun that locks you up. Juggling in other fighting games is another example of "unfightable" stun - once it's started, you're in trouble. However, you've said it's not the stun that's the problem, so I'll let this point rest.

Sure, but the intensely negative response is from a handful of individuals. I understand they're mostly oldfags and their opinion carries a little more weight, but i don't join any server and get told WATER AMMO SO BAD OGM Y U DO endlessly. It's simply not a concern to most players.

Of course, just as you have a chance of stunning him. Furthermore (re "its not just a group situation"), if it's 1v1 and you're in melee range, he'll stun himself; if he gets the range perfect and ezs you, you got ezd just like if he landed a double slash while you were charging.

Considering the game isn't about one player winning the game, but a team of players working together to win the game, I think it's sane to provide a few elements that strongly favour groups over individuals into the game. I understand it's frustrating for the +3 knight to get killed by some newbie hitting him with a water bomb and his friend double slashing or jab spamming you to death (ie "ganging up on you"), but if you have a team supporting you its an issue that's quite simple to overcome. Honestly, I do not believe "1 skilled guy trumps everything" is a fun design pattern for a team game.
    I see the water ammo as something that allows cooperation between players to be particularly effective, or allows one actor to take on or at least escape from a group if used correctly.

The biggest "hmmn" point for me is the loss of agency the player feels when stunned - you literally can't do anything about it once it's happened. I think that that's what "gets" most players up in arms about it.

Note that the stun is only 3x the length of getting your shield broken by a slash though, and 1.something-x the length of an archer arrow stun, both things that happen very, very frequently. It's nowhere near the realm of 5 seconds, its 45 ticks, 1.5 seconds.

I'm curious as to what an "amenable nerf" would be considered. Only doing AOE stuns on unshielded units (so you'd have to hit a shielded knight directly to break his shield)?

edit: apologies for the length of this, unfortunately didn't have time to make it concise :^)

Crabmaster likes this.
  18. Contrary

Drill is not even threatening and no drill user can touch you with properly spaced slashes. Mines take time to arm and require great folly to trigger. You can see saws/trap blocks. Slashing someone with a keg and having it explode is BS imo but it's entirely avoidable. Boats are also BS but again, also avoidable. All of these things can be avoided with normal good play. The only way to avoid surprise instastun is to not go into melee range.
    Ok fair point, but it is a greater problem in the future when more of a competitive scene develops or when the general populace starts cluing in. Took a while for door ladders to catch on but when it did, well you know.
    Yeah, that is the one way to combat water bombs. I think that speaks as to its disproportionate strength though.
    True. I thought you meant group situation like on the part of 1/2 but that was a silly interpretation for me to make.
    Not quite the same. There is constant game of inches with slashing. With water bomb its spacebar spacebar now you're helpless.
    Fair point but the reverse is also true. Players should be rewarded for their skill, and water bombs doesn't just lessen this but sometimes removes it completely, killing them before they can do anything. Also the other kind of reverse is true. Many times I've used water bombs to unfairly slaughter a whole big clump of guys.
    Again, not just the magnitude of the effect but the condition.
    That would be interesting, and regardless of any other change I'd like that to be on there. One simple thing that comes to mind is having an arming time, of even 3-4 seconds. Bombs are extremely strong but you have a lot of forewarning before they take effect so at the very least you can run away from them. I can't think of a logical explanation as to why you would need time to prime a glass of water though (but then again I can't understand why it stuns you).

Anyways, cool discussion gonna split this off into a new threat then sleeeeeep.

19. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Water arrows are the best thing ever added to an archer. Well except for maybe the bomb arrow. I always carry two water arrows in my inventory when i'm making a run for a flag. If you select the water arrow then grab the flag you can stun those pesky archer, knights and builders that are following you trying to get the flag back. Water arrows have saved my life!!!

paradoxicalenigma and kedram like this.
  20. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

The ultimate solution that fits the class mentality we're trying to pull: Remove water arrows, make water bombs an archer-only item.