1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A couple of my games.

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Vania, Aug 12, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Vania

Vania Guest

Hey.

So, I'm a flash developer used to making little causal games,
    but in the past years I have started doing multiplayer less-casual games.
    I hope I'll be able to make something as cool as KAG someday.

Overwatch http://www.officeriot.net/

This is a tactical RTS for up to 4 players. The controls are kinda hard to get at first because the gameplay is different from other RTS games.

HexWars http://www.officeriot.net/hexwars

This is basically an Advance Wars clone, with some changes. It's multiplayer too.
    It's a freemium game but it's not doing very well.

That's it!

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Overwatch was fun. Only problem was no intuitive way to clear or review your unit selections. Selecting a box with noone in it works, but just clicking is a move order. Caused me grief a couple of times when my guys ended up waltzing into the next room en mass because of a dodgy tap. Throwing grenades is also very unintuitive. Sure, it works, but for special moves like that you'd be better off having a small line of commands constantly visible at the top of the screen and creating some way of "cancelling" a throw once you've clicked the button.
    The line of sight mechanic was solid. I'd like to see where that goes.

I'll try out hex wars some other time, got a lot to do now :P

3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I really really like Overwatch. Lots of strategy out of its basic mechanics. I hope that's still being worked on.

4. Vania

Vania Guest

Yeah I know what you mean... I just could not think of a way to do it with one mouse button (in Flash there's only left click)

Grenades are a mess I know. They're easy once you learn the shortcuts and you just use D+1+click or D+2+click, etc...
    but selecting them with the mouse is awful.

Contrary: hardcore RTS's are not popular in the flash portals so I cant afford to waste more time with that game.
    I believe there's still people playing on multiplayer though.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm a flash dev -> I know about the whole no right click issue.

I think you just need more buttons on screen. Hotkeys are great and should exist for everything but a deselect units button would be good. It could easily be integrated into a viewer for your selected units that reported their HP, status, if they were under fire, whatever.

Also, fuck following the trends of what's popular or not. Make the games you want to make.

6. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You made overwatch? HAVE MY BABIES! sdSFAEFAEDFE *BRAIN ERROR REBOOT*
    May I request you have my off spring? You will make a sequel YOU WILL

Sorry fanboy moment

7. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

Graphics look sweet, and Overwatch seems to be quite fun.
    But this type of genre is not really what I like. Is there any game which you are currently working on?

8. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

Solid little games. I've completed both of them, too bad there wasn't anyone playing online.

9. Gumball135

Gumball135 Guest

Overwatch is more than a little addictive. It'd be great if you introduced a squad system so that units could be controlled more quickly and precisely, but that's not really a necessity.

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work. I'll try out your other one when I get the chance.

Mods: BlueLuigi