1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Ace of Spades General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by saniblues, Aug 11, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

they added a fucking JETPACK
    why should you build defences, dig trenches and have fun if you can just use your JETPACK

2. illu, AL3X_j_M and Beef like this.
  3. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I agree with the video.

It went from a unique experience, of crawling across a sniper strewn WW1-esque hell scape of trenches and hidden bunkers, with simple yet amazingly fun game play mechanics, to, well, that.

It is of course exaggerated for comedic effect, but the basic message of it ruining the careful balance that was you, some blocks, a rifle and your wits against another with the same is depressingly true.

I've heard this group are trying to get back to the golden age. Has anyone played it?

4. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

The old ace of spades was fun and all, but after awhile it did get boring, the game play was repetitive and rather bland. Camp in a bunker and get head shots. Blah blah. While i don't approve of the style of the new Ace of spades, the game play is certainly more enjoyable, and it does not get as old, as fast.

5. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

So what you're saying is you like lots of shiney things. Duly noted.

The game play was amazing. Simplicity does not equate with repetitive, and if it does, that's your own fault. You had to think up new options and stratagems with a limited hand, rather than going "oh lol i'll buy da rokkit launcher xD". It lead to an arms race of concealed kill positions, winding tunnels designed to draw you in to ambushes and heavily fought over trench networks. It was a war of the mind, where the team that was the most patient and creative (and not in the minecrafter "IM GONNA AD DECOWATIONZ!!!1" either, but in the sense of outwitting someone else) would always win.

The joy wasn't in being Rambo with your flash toys, it was in crawling on your fucking belly desperately thinking up a way to not die, or running from cover to cover and hoping there wasn't a hidden enemy lining you up somewhere in the mist. I'll remind you that more content is not synonymous with better gameplay.

AoS is a shining example of the phrase "Less is more".

e: I'd also like to add the increased movement speed encourages the "run and gun" style more. In the old game you had to make clever use of cover and your environment, because you can't run as fast as someone can shoot. In the Jagex one you can just blunder forever onwards, like a down syndrome train.

Thankfully it's flopping, so my disdain and spite is somewhat satisfied.

6. It was also great in the way that everyone was pretty much equal, unless you were going up against a rifleman at long range and you were wielding an SMG. So it was nearly always up to using cover effectively and pure skill. I cannot compare the two different versions much since have only watched one video and I am not willing to fork out money for it.

I can remember some times in the old AoS, when me and a few others would bunker up inside a building and ambush anyone dumb enough to walk out in the open. Then eventually the other team would siege us making us fight for our lives. It's those great moments that made AoS.

That group seems pretty cool, I would not mind re-downloading and playing it again sometime.

7. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I downloaded this game 4 times, in a bad way.

8. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

The current f2p version of AoS (aka Build and Shoot) seems still very fun. However, my opinion is technically not valid because I have not played the Jagex version, however judging from the gameplay videos, I find my opinion justified regardless.

The trench warfare gamestyle of the original was completely ignored. Strategy through careful planning of camouflaged bridges, tunnels, bunkers, sniping, scouting and otherwise sneaking around, is no longer rewarded unlike in the old version of AoS.

Beef likes this.
  9. Ruby_lilac

Ruby_lilac Bison Rider

That pic is some laggy shit
    I used to play but not after steam and stuff :P

Mods: BlueLuigi