1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Admins canceling vote kicks or overriding them

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by makmoud98, May 4, 2014.

?

Useful?

1. Pretty useful

97.0%
  2. Not that useful

3.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No. Then you're just stuck in the game with Tom, Dick and Harry laughing at your frozen arse, and presumably waiting for either a fat timer to count down or for a vote to pass to unfreeze you (unlikely to ever happen).

If vote-kicks are passing too easily the vote threshold can be raised. An issue posted above is that they don't pass easily enough - I've got a feeling that almost everyone bases their opinion of the whole system on a very small sample size (and that those who have been wrongly votekicked at least once are unlikely to ever view the system as functional).

Consider that the alternative is to remove the majority's ability to boot someone who's ruining their fun - that's only a viable solution where the server is tightly regulated by administrators (like the old action server, for example).

Even if you have been wrongly votekicked - that's the result of a clear majority on a server thinking at least in passing that you're a menace.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  2. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Could the vote box possibly be smaller or in another place? Would be nice when your fighting and a vote pops up and you can't vote till your either dead or victorious. Most people prefer to have that section of the screen visible... I think.

A reason like in classic would also be nice... There's the common reasons input into it, but sometimes there's other reasons that can't really classified as one of those, also with the map votes. This helps admins to I find.

Also a thanks for voting for ____ not. / to be kicked would be nice to... Just so the admins know the name of the guy to watch in case they forget. That you can minimize.

Also the minimize button needs to be largish to one people know it's there and two it's easy to press because usually people pick the easier option. Which is pressing the big buttons.

3. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You're under the assumption people are even thinking anything of the sort (IE, your "being a menace") though that's far from the truth as it stands. On most servers it's just that people vote yes. Not because they are thinking anything, but because they aren't thinking. Sort of wish the old way of giving an explanation before it allows you to vote, is needed to be added back, and as you said the threshold raised.

If it wasn't intrusive, voting took a longer period of time so everyone had a chance to vote, the percentage of how much is needed is fixed, and coupled with the ability to type a reason out, we'd have less people being wrongly vote kicked.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

5. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I really doubt that, personally. That is one reason why the game has lost a lot of players since when we had it first released on Steam. I really doubt it outweighs any such thing.

of course we still have it active, and decent, the game doesn't have near as much as it did upon the first couple of months on Steam.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  6. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Get philosophyiedFor to accuse requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to excuse; and condemnation, than absolution, more resembles justice.

And the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Thomas Hobbes

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I would like some hard data on the number of people "being wrongly vote kicked" successfully vs the number of people legitimately being kicked vs the number of vote kicks that end inconclusive.

I observe "unjust" votekicks personally at most once per week - maybe things are different in different regions though. I consider that figure completely acceptable - as Walter asserts, there are tens of other servers they're able to join, and the vote kick only blocks you from joining for an hour afair.

Welcome to multiplayer indie games. Except for the diehards, people move on after a month or so, and we don't really have an advertising budget to stabilise at a higher number than around 2-3k active players (iirc requires making at least 2k sales each month, ~66 sales a day).

I seriously doubt that the votekick is the thing that causes them to leave, especially in the short term - I would attribute that more to people getting "bored" of the pool of content that remains small to keep the game competitive - ie minecrafters realising that the game is about killing each other, not building the prettiest castle.

@toffie0 - lucas is working on making the box a little less obtrusive, and providing ways to get rid of the box if you're in the middle of combat.
    We figure that abstaining at that point is more attractive and sensible, as you're unlikely to be involved enough in whatever the guy is getting kicked for if you're so caught up in combat that deciding on a vote is impossible.

The positioning is tricky - we can't move it left or right or it'll be team biased/get in the way of archery, and making it smaller makes it hard to fit in text. I think we've settled on making it "slide" into the screen so you have some warning its coming, rather than it suddenly flashing into your face.

Re: Reasons - I would have liked to add custom reasons but binding this part of the interface was really non-trivial (it's designed to work with pre-compiled variables, not scripts). I might be able to at some point, but it's a surprising amount of work, which is why it hasn't been done already.

Re: logs/traces of the guys name - afaik that's already there at the start of the votekick? Could potentially add it at the end when the vote is inconclusive I guess?

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Sir_Walter and zerd like this.
  8. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You'd be surprised about that. There was a considerable amount of people complaining about the voting system, and many complaining about being wrongfully vote kicked, so I will stick to my statement that I think it is partly to blame for losing members. Might not be as much of an issue regarding people leaving as certain other aspects, but it still plays a bit of a role.

9. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Oh yeah...

True, what about it being halfly transparent? like this:
    Halfly transparent text box.PNG

This snapshot was taken by Downburst and was posted in a thread somewhere.

This will make things a bit less distracting bit also visible both ways. It doesnt have to be that transparent. Also maybe have a button toggling the visibility. Maybe in the settings or on the actual box?

Logs help a lot but are a pain to go through. Especially for a little detail as a name. Yeah a mention after would be nice.

10. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

The problem with Vote Kicks isn't that there needs to be more votes, less votes to get it past or anything. The problem is that it both lags the game, and makes fighting incredibly hard when it appears.

-Also, admins cancelling vote kicks should totally be a thing @Geti <3

11. Geti

Yeah as said through the thread Lucas/Furai has been working on it, MM or I need to follow up with him on getting it into test though as he's kinda shy with pushing things directly to you guys :^)

Hearing that it lags your game is concerning, its literally just rendering some text and a few textured quads. I've never experienced any lag with it :/

12. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

The thing is currently, people start experiencing FPS dropage after 1hour in the game or so. Suddenly a few text and boxes and what not coming out, drops my fps a lot.

Mods: Rainbows