1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anime general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 10110100101, Mar 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Akame ga Kill! is pretty good so far, I like the action and gore, 3 episodes in.

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Not that I'm entitled to question anyone's preferences, but you specifically pointed out that you liked the gore? What even.

I mean, I guess if that's your thing...

3. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I never used to like gore, I always felt sick but now, I don't know it doesn't have the same effect and it's a nice change from comedy/romance anime for me.

4. Nighthawk

Hm. Well, I guess it is refreshing to see actual action as opposed to a bunch of high-schoolers doing slice-of-life-y stuff, but you can have awesome action without needing excessive gore, as proven by Sword Art.

5. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Yeah I know that, I've watched action without any gore but I mean gore is a decent change from romance and comedy.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I'll say, despite the fact that I like Hunter x Hunter that part is B.S. He finds a way around it, hell even now they pull this fucking trump out the ass.

Every anime has that now and then "ahh I lost a fight", but later on they beat that person, or someone else does, or the circumvent them, but regardless, they 'win', even if they lose the battle.

Some people actually do die, which I think is great, but two things I found absolutely hilarious
    1)The way Mereum dies
    2)How fucking long that arc was to finish it in such a dumb way

Also I find that during the entire chimera ant (snoooooozeeee) arc, it suffered greatly from Naruto-itis "Explaining the fuck out of every thing you do for an entire episode before doing it".

Shame, because the arc before it was fucking glorious.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 9, 2014 ---
    You can also have excessive gore and be a good show, as proven by Kill la Kill.

Hawxx likes this.
  7. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Anyone else been watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

Hawxx likes this.
  8. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Personally I found the Chimera Ant arc awesome, while it did take ages and had lots of explaining it really built the hype for episode 131 ( which everyone was waiting for ) by taking ages. Too bad it's ending at episode 148, such a shame. Well, that is Hiatus x Hiatus for you!

9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Can anyone recommend me an anime? This is my MAL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mazey
    Oh and please, nothing like naruto and shit, 'too shounen' for me.
    Oh and it being on Crunchyroll would be nice, but not necessary.

10. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

If you're alright with Sport anime or willing to give them a try I would recommend Yowamushi Pedal, it's an anime about biking etc. It was my first dive into the sports genre and I was surprised on how good it was, I don't even do sports lmao
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 19, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 9, 2014 ---
    Holy crap, Hajime no Ippo, what is this shit? I can't stop watching, this anime wants you to watch all the time. Once you end an episode it makes you want to watch another, sne dhlep pls.

11. >too shounen
    >is watching akame ga kill, a shounen
    >gave it a 10

Hawxx likes this.
  12. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

Attack on Titan c:

13. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

hence "too shounen" he means that they are too similar to the stereotypes: loads of filler episodes/arcs, little plot development, epicly long flashbacks to the last episode, fights that take 10 episodes to finish. Also, those shows are mainly aimed at kids.

Death Note is technically a shounen, but "typical shounen" hardly describes it. Shounen is just anything that runs in a shounen magazine.

14. Nighthawk

Just finished watching a few shows. Anohana a couple of days ago and Kotoura-san only a few minutes ago.

Both get superior ratings from me, Anohana because it made me cry like a baby for reasons I cannot even understand myself, and Kotoura-san because the premise is brilliant and the show totally blindsided me... in an awesome way.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and watch the first ten minutes of Kotoura-san.
    And brace yourself, because it hits hard.

Also, if you're into adorable, no-plot shows (like I am) Acchi Kocchi, the source of my current avatar, is not to be missed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    NinjaCell likes this.
  15. Akame not too far away from being "too shounen" to warrant a 10 is what I'm saying.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 20, 2014 ---
    http://anilist.co/animelist/11275/Kiretsunazo

Check my AniList for anime you may like.

16. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Ahh, okay got it.

17. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Honest question, why did you rate Bleach a 10?

NinjaCell likes this.
  18. Many reasons.
    Firstly, it was the first anime/manga I had come into contact with, so it's like I've formed an attachment to it. When I first watched it it took up so much of my time that I think I would not be doing it or myself justice by giving it any less than a 10.
    I don't rate things logically or against each other, I guess I do it from initial and continual enjoyment, will I still feel the same about it in a few years?

I also don't believe Bleach gets the credit it deserves. Yes, it's another shounen, but I believe people just dislike it because it falls into that category. I've watched (or attempted to) many other shounen, and Bleach is really the only one that appeals to me. Tite Kubo writes it in a manner that makes you believe the ass-pulls aren't really ass-pulls.
    I've had many a debate with people about Bleach and no one as of yet has been able to prove that Bleach is worth any less than I believe it to be, as much as the boundaries of opinion will allow.

In case the pointing out of my rating Bleach a 10 against what I said before and it perhaps being contradictory was your intention. I never said that I thought anything was "too shounen" this was merely a repetition and re-quote of what Mazey had said before and it being contradictory on his part. My opinion transcends the boundaries and limitations of social conformity. Unlike some.

19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You should really watch Akame ga Kill before saying such a thing to be honest, while it is a shounen, it has some differences, I know some people like to use fancy words to describe these types of things like deconstruction or 'a critique of the genre' but fuck that, it is what it is, and while it's shounen, it's not quite Naruto or One Piece.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  20. I am watching it. I posted my AniList, you could have checked that first.
    I've implied in other comments that I understand there are differences and yet it's still too much like a usual shounen to give it a 10 in regard to the fact Mazey said "and shit, 'too shounen' for me".

Mods: BlueLuigi