1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anime general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 10110100101, Mar 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Social conformity? You are aware that just because you deviate from the norm that doesn't make your opinion better?

You aren't transcending anything. You just think Akame ga Kill is too shounen, yet you say that Bleach isn't. Either both you and Mazey are hypocrites for saying one show is "too shounen" while liking other shounen or you just have different opinions.

"too shounen" here, by your definitions. Which is weird, because at one point you claim that you "never said that I thought anything was "too shounen"", but then you said that BlueLuigi should have picked up on the fact that you
    "implied in other comments that I understand there are differences and yet it's still too much like a usual shounen to give it a 10 in regard to the fact Mazey said "and shit, 'too shounen' for me"."

You obviously rated Akame ga Kill before this conversation, and that seems to be your reason for not voting it higher. So basically you think Mazey is a hypocrite for thinking one show is more "shounen" than another. Except you have done the same thing.

I mean people writing off Bleach annoys you, (and I'm pretty sure at least some of them have seen Bleach) so why did you not think that Mazey may have similar reasons for liking Akame ga Kill? You literally say you dislike most shounen, yet you like Bleach. Right after, you claim no bias against shounen. (You may not, but assuming everyone else does have bias just because you like Bleach and you think that's the only way anyone could dislike it is stretching it.)

All I'm getting is that you assume everyone else's opinions are dumb and are based on stupid bias, but yours are totally flawless. I mean you mostly rate things "illogically" (I'm not sure enjoyability is illogical but whatever) and on nostalgia but yours are definitely better.

BlueLuigi and Beef like this.
  2. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Ah I see, it was really the 2nd anime I've watched and started with after stopping for a year or two, while enjoyment is also a big factor for me I also rate things logically, my ratings tend to change sometimes due to me changing my mind, I originally gave Bleach a 9 or 10 at first as well but when I started watching more and more anime it dropped because I got to see anime of better quality and writing, it's sitting at a 6 now. Nonetheless I still enjoy it and it was fucking hype, especially when the song Number One came on. Oh, and I had also skipped the fillers because I heard they really degrade your experience. My favourite arc has to be the Soul Society one, damn that was awesome.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 22, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 22, 2014 ---
    I'd recommend Hajime no Ippo if you like moments that have shit ton of hype as well as very good comedy. And another series I'd recommend is called JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it's a very long running manga that had finally gotten a proper anime adaptation in 2012 without stuff getting rekt by copyright. ( it has a lot of references to western media, especially music ) It has quite a different art style compared to anime nowadays but it just adds on how unique it is, it's got fabulous and manly poses, very creative characters and bizarre powers.

EDIT : Oh crap, forgot I had posted before, now it's became an ugly double post, nobody likes double posts!

RiftEnigma likes this.
  3. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Do any of you guys get ever write off an anime because it looks stupid or the premise sounds bad then you watch it (via recommendation or just pure boredom) and it turns out that it is amazing?

Some of my favourite shows; TWGOK, Durarara!!!(Both of which got me into anime) and Mushi-shi, had such an awesome idea or description that I just knew I would like them.

Others, however, (maybe even the majority) like
    Kuroko no Basuke (eh, basketball, never seen a sports anime)Got a bit bored watched it,

Silver Spoon (farm? not sure that that sounds good)Got bored then watched it,

Nichijou (sounds boring and uninteresting)Gave it a chance,

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I am so sorry) (weird art, strange description (made it apparent that Jonathan and Dio were friends(lol)) , sounds like the characters will stand around talking obnoxiously, no indication of cool plot apart from a stone mask) Luckily I heard that it involved generous helpings of Serious Humour, Fabulous Poses, SFX (ゴゴゴ) and was altogether fantastic.

More will be added to that list later, but does anyone else do this? I am less likely to write off something now I have experienced this but it is really hard to judge sometimes.

Also, Gintama is my limbo. I should really like it. I don't hate it, but it was not outstandingly hilarious. There are hints, and I hear it gets better, but the episode count puts me off. I will do it eventually though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    BlueLuigi, Hawxx and Beef like this.
  4. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I have the same problem as you when it comes to Gintama, I don't hate it and I should like it as well and I have seen scenes and found them pretty funny. But when it comes to watching it I can't do it, I tried several times but to no avail I had failed.

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

@NinjaCell
    The only show I can think of (at the moment) that gave me that kind of feeling was OreImo. I asked my friends what the full title was in engrish and as soon as they told me I was like, "uhhhh, no?"

Got bored, watched an episode. Watched another. Marathoned the show. Wondered if there was something wrong with me.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

@NinjaCell
    I did exactly the same thing with Silver Spoon, I also get most of my anime/etc that I watch these days off of recommendation, or watching boring shit. Watched almost everything from last season and to be honest a lot of the stuff I thought I wouldn't enjoy, I loved.

I also sorta picked up Gintama, but on the contrary because of the episode count, need more long things to keep my attention. (Please don't read into that)

7. You should read and comprehend what other people are saying before trying to string something logical together. I'm saying I value everything equally, I don't judge on a pre-established bias. I never said that Akame ga Kill was "too shounen" I'm saying Mazey is being hypocritical for implicating other shounens aren't incredibly similar to Akame. I know Bleach is a shounen and have never said, nor even implied otherwise.
    In case you can't understand. I don't care whether something is shounen or not. You're confusing my opinions with me re-stating something Mazey has said. I never implicated that my opinions were better.
    "You literally say you dislike most shounen, yet you like Bleach."
    >most
    I dislike what I've seen except for a few. Irrelevant point you made.

In short, I like Bleach over other popular shounens which in turn I dislike. Mazey was stating 'no shounens plz' when Akame is pretty close to the common shounen.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

With the kag community, even a light-hearted discussion of Chinese cartoons turns into a flame war.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    startselect3 and TheAverageMan like this.
  9. TheAverageMan

TheAverageMan Shark Slayer
    1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

arguing about anime on a thread about anime... I was tooootally not expecting that to happen.

I wonder if people argue about spongebob like people argue about anime.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  10. It's not my fault people struggle comprehending basic English.

11. Nighthawk

Calm yourselves, gentlemen. Your anger could be better spent fighting injustices, like the lack of catgirls in this world.
    I'm going to make an attempt to change the subject now.

Ahem.

Could anyone recommend me another show or two? I've been positively eating through them recently, and I don't want to find myself at a loss once I reach the end of Nisekoi (which is likely to happen in the next 8 hours). My list is here, if that helps.
    I tend to go for romcoms (romance in general is always welcome), but I enjoy shows with good drama, too. I only like action if it's well-done, which means SAO-tier boss fights, and none of that "let me stop in the middle of battle and explain my fighting strategy in great detail" nonsense.
    Oh, and cute factor is a huge plus. Such as your signature, @RiftEnigma. It calls to me~

NinjaCell, RiftEnigma and Beef like this.
  12. K-ON! best.

13. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Guilty Crown is what I'm watching currently.

14. Nighthawk

Ooh, that's a good one. Kind of confusing at times, but I really liked it. Has what I consider one of the most well-developed protagonists in any show.
    I would watch K-ON, since I know it's super moe (and I am definitely weak to adorableness), but I'm hesitant. From what I've heard, it's about a band that doesn't play music so much as they sit around having tea and cakes. And that's fine, but I don't know if I'm in the mood for a show with no overarching conflict right now.

15. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is pretty good. It looks like a rom-com but there's not really much actual romance. It's mostly just a comedy. One of the main characters is a mangaka, but not everything revolves around manga jokes, so there's quite a bit of variety.

As an aside, which Nisekoi girl is your favourite?

16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Chitoge or bust.

RiftEnigma and Yagger like this.
  17. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I'd go for bust. Onodera's specifically.

BlueLuigi and Hawxx like this.
  18. lokoxDZz

lokoxDZz Shipwright

I just have to mention Noein.

19. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

I'm not really that into anime but the 3 anime/anime related shows/movies I'll suggest till i die: 1) Studio Ghibli Films (all the way) 2) Cowboy Bebop 3) Avatar series (western anime but nonetheless its still anime).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    SirDangalang and Sir_Walter like this.
  20. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I've heard Cowboy Bepop is one of those 'legends' Gotta watch it some time.

startselect3 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi