1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anti Griefing measures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PainPopsicle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Flaque

Flaque Guest

So you suggest that MM makes KAG for people who grief, not the people who actually enjoy it? :)

2. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

No, I suggest he doesn't go out of his way to stop griefers unless they're using glitches and exploits because the ones that find bugs makes his job easier. Someone reports it, one less bug to worry about.

3. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

You forgot about the players. You know. These guys that are there to have fun. Developers might have easier time finding bugs this way, but the players suffer in the meantime.

4. saniblues

Well, you can't really do much to combat people tearing down their own bases without adding something that's absolutely terrible for everyone.

5. PainPopsicle

PainPopsicle Guest

Just to illustrate my post:

[​IMG]

add ownership to the mix. the outpost defines it.

I dont find terrible being incapable of demolish my own structures. In fact is what a great portion of griefing is.

6. saniblues

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

7. Snow

Snow Guest

I don't know if I like this though. I knew what he was getting at and I find it's a pretty good idea. It might make griefing a bit more difficult, but doesn't stop it.. they'll find a way.

The thing is, soon, we're going to have a game cluttered up with little advances, rules, functions, etc, etc just to stop a small group of dickless assholes.

The best method by far will be the accounts system. If there's more than enough proof on pubs that you don't grief after playing for a certain number of rounds or couple of weeks, server owners who get to know you can add you to their whitelist. Griefing can still happen - someone getting mad or frustrated, but it would be so minimal. Then we players and devs could just focus on the game without having to worry about adding "this or that" to curb bad behaviour.

The bottom line is like I said before, grief the griefers. Make THEM frustrated and bored to try. If they get blacklisted, trying to get into servers will be too much effort and they'll eventually quit.

8. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

So I eventually went through whole topic. Yesterday it was tl;dr for me. Like for me the most sane idea here is Hansel's, which I quote below:

You just went over it like it was unimportant. That's why I'm pointing it out, once again.

9. PainPopsicle

PainPopsicle Guest

I will add more examples of this kind of trouble that griefers are to the game. They make this barely playable.

Today I played a game just looking for griefers to document them and how they affect gameplay. I connected to Pozo's USA dedicated server.
    The game started well, in the warmup we built a reasonably good castle. When the warmup ended builders started to put drawbridges and spike traps. Everything went ok until...
    [​IMG]

Yep, griefing. Cookie-cutting the background tiles (brown ones) by putting a stone background and then removing it. A bit of the terrain went down. Why I didn't kick the griefer?? The rocks killed both of us, and when you die you cant identify the corpses / gibs.

But this won't end there.
    [​IMG]

The same technique as the first screenshot, only 11 minutes late. A big hole in the earth was made. This hampered our defenses. Also the enemy was puzzled at first, but they went fast to make ladders to our base.

18 minutes later, while the game was in blue-attack and red-deffend, the only thing left to grief was our castle.
    [​IMG]

KICK IT!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Too late. Only 16 seconds from "Hey, WTF are you doing?" and "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU".

Conclusion: griefers made all they want to do. Kick system is not agile enough to identify the threat and solve the problem.

Question: Why the ideas exposed in the original post are so bad? It isn't bad enough all of this griefing? Can you call gameplay to that?

10. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

There are major problems with your idea. For example imagine this situation:
    -You build a big castle,
    -Enemy somehow takes it over,
    -Now enemy has a big castle that cannot be collapsed by your team,
    -Your team is screwed,

Griefer's make the game frustrating from time to time. This would make it unplayable.

11. Krux

Krux Guest

what do you think about a button that enables friendly fire. Of course griefers would use that too, but in case of castle destruction you can kill the griefer and gain time to kick and repair. In case of Team killing griefers, they can't make as much damage as castle destroying griefers.

12. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I think it would work only if enough people recognised that the person is a griefer and are willing to beat him down every time he spawns, but otherwise its too griefable.

13. struna123

struna123 Guest

@PainPopsicle man, in 2nd screenshot it was me. i made that collapse to prevent base from enemy's advancing. just look what guy on the left says: :well that changes things"
    in fact it make game easier for my team. but you see griefing everywhere.

PS Hahah man, sth about last screen:
    it was near the end of the round and i saw this guy "Trans" or something and i told you and whole team about it to mark him. when im saying this, you told me to SHUT UP... and when he collapsed it you have any grudge still? what a hipocrisy

14. PainPopsicle

PainPopsicle Guest

I marked him too.
    I apologise for not recognising the fine tactics of creating a huge hole in front of our base, but when I tried to find something similar in the history of warfare I couldn't find a similar situation. Congratulations Mr. Happy Tactician! Next time ask first.

15. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

A huge hole in front of the castle is actually a really good thing.

16. saniblues

People stress about griefers waaaaaaaaaaay too much in this game. I mean, it's natural to get pissed off at them, but seriously.

17. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Yeah, this exploit should be fixed asap. Background dirt should be indestructible.

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I think so too, and I swear I've asked MM to change that a few times - I think it has been changed a few times as well, maybe it keeps creeping back in?

I think a server lobby would help - if you could lock teams while the game was happening you could kick known griefers.
    have a look here for more info and separate discussion :)

19. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Some ideas:

- a way to just point with your mouse to a griefer and do the following
    - mark / kick?
    - "handcuffing" a griefer for a minute or so (so he can't move)
    - prison?

20. saniblues

Handcuffing can be used against people that aren't griefing as well. You could just make it so that more marks as a griefer means faster votekick (i.e. enough marks makes it so you only require 1 vote)