1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anti Griefing measures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PainPopsicle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Ever heard about spoofing MACs? :) I'd rather go on HwIDs (Hardware IDs) - unique ID which is generated basing on players hardware. Game generates it at ties it to your account (preferably the one you're logging from into game, wanna play on other comp? Make new account).

2. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

But then when someone has purchases on an account they can't use them elsewhere, so it would just be bothersome :[

3. Furai

So maybe if you would like to use it elsewhere then after logging in on other machine the HwID would be tied up anew. And when one's account would be banned the corresponding HwID would be banned too.

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Anything that forces legit players to make new accounts for any reason cannot be used.
    Banning on IP would probably be sufficient as it'll filter out the vast majority of griefers.
    If we find that too many are working around that then we can move on to tougher measures, but it likely won't be much of an issue.

5. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

the only way to stop the griefing... and this i say from experience in admining hundreds of game-servers in many games.

ACTIVE ADMINS.

without that u can forget to find a way against griefers....

i'd say search out some good ppl's (i suggest : some HA members, example : Contrary / Neat / Overlord / me :D) which are willing for good games and griefing free, theres no admin on any server on KAG.

admining at this time already some Soldat servers of zabjaka.pl

im up for more :P if anyone's interested on a 24/7 admin for his server(s).... im here ;)

6. Furai

Thanks, but no.

7. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

np, else i suggest to make some of ur members to admins, im just willing on having griefing-free games.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

All of these suggestions are DRM idiocy except for Loki's suggestion of moderation.
    IP Banning doesn't work as it just punishes those who can't get around it. The griefers from a few builds ago proved that that doesn't work against those that we'd actually want to ban - the dedicated malicious types.

Griefing is a problem where players attack the social side of the game. It's not something like hacking or other forms of cheating where you break the rules of the game, it's just using the game in such a blatantly antisocial way that it upsets people.
    Now, the issue with the account system as it stands, is that you can create multiple accounts very easily. This kind of thing will always happen, however I think email verification is needed. Add a "send activation email again" button (that can be used every hour at most to prevent server abuse) and request that the user checks their spam box. Poe, if there's something wrong with the mail function in PHP, fix that.
    There's also no proper ranking system, however I'll make another thread about that because it deserves separate discussion.

9. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I don't think you get me. I was posting I.P banning as a "suggestion" because it isn't really a suggestion. People can still get around it (as I even mentioned in my post!) and it punishes innocent people (as I also mentioned!) it was an example of what lengths you could go to to stop account cloning even when it wouldn't work, in answer to Poe's question. Like saying "Well the best thing you could do is this but even THAT wouldn't stop it completely, so you can't ask people for suggestions on this" I am fully aware that I.P banning is a flawed system.

10. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

Alright back to email activation it is! Also I'm looking forward to seeing the social rankings.

11. Quimbo

Quimbo Guest

Make sure to block all the instant mail services like mailinator ;)

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I agree with Monsteri. I don't wanna feel pressured to do well, though I think you shouldn't be encouraged to do poorly either. For example the most effective way to play in a lot of cases is bunker up behind some cover and spam a highly contested area with arrows, but sometimes I wanna repeatedly suicide run into enemy zones to try to ninja up some walls and get their flag. Sometimes I want to be a knight. I don't want my epeen to suffer because of that. Though I guess I could just buy two accounts.

13. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Did you mean to post here: http://kagforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=522 ?

14. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

I take that back, both are a bugs. Saw that way too many times, also on myself, to a lesser extent though. Sorry DrillingWillie.

15. Vania

Vania Guest

How about disabling the kick by vote and leaving just the kick by marking?
    The votekick is very griefable...

What you could do is automatically call the votekick once a player has been marked by 2 or more players.