1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Any Spelunky fans here?

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Wonkyth, Oct 4, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

I should pick that game back up. I got to the last environment once and died in lava, I was disappointing with myself. I wasn't even worthy of being mummy food!

What are you guys' opinions on that new version he's working on? I think it's for the xbox or something. I've seen it in some pictures and I think it's lost a lot of its charm.

2. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

The reason the graphics are the way they are is because Xbox Live Arcade games have to meet a certain graphical criteria. I.E.; The games have to appeal to kids, so the graphics have to be vivacious and happy. That said I don't think they look that bad.

I'm definitely getting the Xbox version when it comes out, to support the developer, and because it has multiplayer co-op, something that will make Spelunky that much better.

3. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Having no XBox, I'm going to have to wait for him to put it on steam; I'll be most surprised if he doesn't.
    As far as the "Art losing it's charm" thing goes, it's quite a debated topic, along with the new music. Personally, as much as I will always love the original Spelunky art and music, the new stuff is bad-arse. This is Derek Yu we're talking about, after all. No-one can deny that Aquaria looked downright awesome, and that he perfectly captured the feel of each individual part of the game. I mean, he won the IGF award for visual exellence!
    As for the music, there is but one word: Phlogiston.
    This guy is ace, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

4. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I hope he puts it on Steam too, but that would mean it'd be harder for me to play with friends. Also, if he signs a contract, Spelunky could be exclusive to Xbox Live Arcade for a long time, or permanently.

5. Wonkyth

I doubt he'd sign a contract like that, so no worries.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Love it, still haven't beaten it, was close though.
    Same with La Mulana.

7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Multiplayer over Steam would be AMAZING.

Definitely one of the Steam Games I would buy.

8. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Me too, I'm going to get it for the 360, because of multiplayer.

9. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I will try this.​
    EDIT:Fun and addictive i like it.​

10. UWBW

UWBW Shipwright

I just downloaded it, and played it for 5 minutes or so. WHAT NOW?

11. Wonkyth

Well, play it for another 5000 minutes, and then report back.
    It's worth it, trust me.

12. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Considering the PC version is free and has no form of RMT I doubt it will ever make it to Steam.

Furthest I ever have made it is the third area because I only played it hardcore for a couple days.

13. Wonkyth

Talking about the version that's coming to XBLA, not the existing one.

14. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Herp derp thats what I get for not reading the whole thread!

Wonkyth likes this.
  15. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

It's good, but it's almost too easy to die. It's like the game doesn't want you to play it. The instant kill traps stress me out in all their iterations, and I feel terrible for falling below 3 hearts because I know I've fallen down and I'll never get back up again. Things like the alien ship explosions, yeti cliff chucking, and mummy fly breath are just cheap to no end.

My girlfriend loves this game though, probably because she's a hopeless romantic and like watching me rescue the damsel over and over. So of course I sacrifice her or use her as a weapon any chance I get.

16. Wonkyth

It's plenty easy to get hearts back, especially in the later levels.
    Does anyone know whether you can still to the blood-farm with the blood-cup thing?

17. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I don't really find that to be true. But I never get the blood chalice because I can never find enough altars. Plus, most of what halts me like a window to a wedge tailed eagle are instant death traps, so hearts don't even matter to me at that point. They're useful but rare in the first half of the game and less useful but more common in the second half.

I'm not saying the game itself isn't fun. It just feels so cheap when I die, which is often. I end up feeling... so used.

Wonkyth likes this.
  18. Wonkyth

Don't worry, you learn to avoid all of the insta-kill traps eventually.
    For example, I haven't been got by a totem-trap of a spike trap in over 1000 plays.
    How many deaths you up to, out of interest?

19. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Love this game, you need to be careful and think smart as you traverse the levels.....Died over 900 times (I think) before I managed to beat the game the first time. And I still have not located much of the hidden content.

Wonkyth likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi