1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer changes general

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Landoo2, Oct 31, 2013.

?

should there be arrows that do more damage then just 1 heart?

1. yes, but they should cost much

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. yes, because 4 arrows are too much to kill a knight

38 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. no, because archers are already overpowered

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. no, because ..... (post your reason in the thred pls)

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

> Profit

Scynix likes this.
  2. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

You also realize that by legalos shooting them, they have to recharge the slash... meaning you can pinprick them with about 2 regular arrows in that time...
    Each arrow makes him recharge...
    So if he tries to continue to slash... just shoot him with legalosing.

3. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

ummmm...
    I can pull off a slash in less than two seconds. You should grapple away, its safer.
    It might work with a noob night, but not a pro one.

4. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

You can discuss tactics all you want, but there is still a clear knight dominance. Their potential damage output and decent ranged damage capability stomps archers. The funny thing is that knights are better at range then archers, which makes no sense. The archer is only useful when around 5-6 blocks or less (The range where knights dominate). The archer seems to lack a defined role. Is it cqc or range? I dont know. Don't get me wrong, I love archer. Its my second favourite class, first being builder.

Crabmaster and hierbo like this.
  5. Superblackcat

uhh Bomb arrows man! and Fire arrows! and all those great things!

6. One

Bomb and fire arrows are only really useful against buildings, and are only a waste of coin when used on players. Knight can block arrows, you cant block bombs.

hierbo likes this.
  7. Superblackcat

Well You should be able to deal with knights just fine, and then bomb arrow their building.

8. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah, some archers think they are as powerful as classic, full charge shot equals a stun, run away. Really, they can still do this, but not with an arrow, but with the grapple. You can grapple to a wall and then grapple to the block that is underneath the enemy, stunning him than running away. You could maybe charge a small shot while running away.

I rarely use the special ammo on an enemy knight, but instead save the ammo until I see a building, or a massive wooden base that is just waiting to be burned down to ashes.

Long range shield sniping was often horrible, meaning you can stun the enemy close, or far away. Instead of this, I suggest just making the arrows go further (or drop over the distance, like classic, not drop instantly here on beta.) Increasing the damage of the archer could be a problem, or a solution.

~~~~~~~
    We can either buff the knight, or make the archer better to balance out the classes. (Which i think will never happen)

• Suggest making the knights move more slowly while charging a slash, making them not ez every archer at close range, but at-least give the archer a chance to run away.
    • Archers doing 1.5 damage, I agree to this thought, allowing the archer class to do more damage and maybe get a decent amount of kills, not dying every time they try to do some thing cool, or just try and yolo an enemy's hind.
    • If the above gets approved, what will happen with the triple shot? One shot breaks the shield, two shots (three hearts gets taken) gets shot into him, dealing three hearts of damage. And mostly everyone doesn't have four hearts.
    Shooting/deflecting a bomb with your arrow can be a hard task. I've seen people do it before with water bombs and also bombs.
    Throwing bombs are horrendous if you're the archer. Since bombs roll really fast, you can't really run away, but instead explode while the enemy knight laughs in at your corpse. Allowing bombs to go slower when rolling?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#~~~~
    Anyway, I think archers should be improved on the battlefield.

If not, an archer can actually be pretty' op if used correctly, laying prone, triple shots and grapple slams can be pre-op if you ask me.
    Carrying a drill in your backpack, grappling over their base and drilling your way in can be pre-handy, but the problem is, how to get there without getting murdered.

Just my five cents, if you have a problem with anything post on my wall.

hierbo likes this.
  9. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Saying that is completely different from the knights damage output. The damage output of knight doesn't rely on items. Where as that is relying on items.

hierbo, Scynix and One like this.
  10. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Items that, from my experience, hardly help PvP. To further emphasize your point.

Actually, can knights block bombarrow damage with their shield? If so I hate accidentally hitting falling knights when I shoot at towers even more than before.

Gosh archer has a lot of little quirks to deal with...

11. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

A lot of quirks indeed, I think that knight has a lot less of these. Furthering the gap between a good player and a god tier player such as SBC! I agree that more items just cause balance issues the core mechanics are what matter in terms of balance. No fighting game would be take seriously if the competitive seen was expected to use random item drops. i.e. Super Smash Brothers. As a fan of fighting games JTG would agree I'm sure of this.

Also I just like to point out how childish anyone who says "You aren't good at this class, therefore you can't make any critical comments or suggestions" is. Perhaps a different view point is required. Or a combo thereof. There is a problem, but it seems that many people like to deny it with weak arguments, "such as you are bad.", "you don't use enough items."

Crabmaster, Raelian, Aeynia and 3 others like this.
  12. One

Honestly I cant see a fix to the archer apart from a raw damage buff to their attacks. But of course the knight loving nerf herders will start crying.

Raelian likes this.
  13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Why can't we all just agree (at least partially) on this copypaste from another thread?

#1 Archers
    Probably the hottest topic right now. The class needs a buff. Both newbies and veterans realize this.

ESSENTIAL
    1. Normal arrow damage increased to 1,5 hearts from close to mid range. Talking about 0-15 blocks.
    2. RNG spread from arrows removed.
    3. Stun range increased by 3 blocks.
    OPTIONAL
    1. No stun if enemy takes stomp damage. Archers stomp with less velocity.
      • Encourages risky plays and increases skill ceiling
    2. All classes can climb ally arrows. Great utility tool for archers, and gives them much more presence even without special arrows.
      • Arrow climbing mechanics should be improved if this feature is added. I suggest being able to gain an additional jump as you fall on an arrow, no slowdown ladder climb.
    3. Water arrows removed, water bombs changed to an archer tool
      • This makes much more sense as a support tool for archers and further encourages them to get closer to enemies. Water bombs are also way too powerful on knights.
    4. Archers can lit kegs
      • One might argue this makes them completely OP, but it is not really the case. Scaling enemy walls is a difficult task with enemy archers and knights actively trying to take you out while you are slowed down. Allowing archers to lit kegs would give archers incentive to offensively use their grappling hook, and promotes skillful plays.

Klokinator likes this.
  14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I'm OK with all of this except both damage increase and stun range increase at the same time. With these, an archer would insta-kill anything within a few blocks with a legolas shot. I say choose one to increase.

Klokinator, Crabmaster and Monsteri like this.
  15. Superblackcat

Increasing stun range means that you can stun a knight from farther away? Frankly I think that is good. What is this RNG Spread? Legolas?

Verra: God Tier? I'm not even great. I see plenty of better archers than me.

Also, The difference between Super Smash Bros, and KAG is very large. In SSBs, you can't get items. They are _randomly_ dropped. While on KAG, you buy them. You get them at your discretion.

If you say that Knights don't need items, well...

It's true that 1- 2 knights can basically kill everything in their way... until they reach a tower. If it is a stone tower, It's basically impossible for them to get over, unless bombs, mines, or Kegs.

Each of those items, except bombs, cost much more than Bomb arrows. Bomb arrows can be shot from a distance, mines and kegs really can't. Bomb arrows do more damage than bombs. Kegs do a lot of damage, but you can't fight well with a keg on your back... (I'm not actually sure about this point, I've see knights slashing and stabbing with kegs, but I haven't been able to). You can legalos 3 bomb arrows, or shoot them separately. Of course, bomb arrows can't kill people, but as support and destruction, It is much stronger and versatile than any bomb, mine, or keg.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

RNG stands for Random Number Generator. Basically, If you don't move and you shoot 2 arrows at the same power, and don't move your cursor, they won't hit the same place because the arrows have random deviation.

17. Superblackcat

Yes! Please remove that!

18. Arcrave

Arcrave http://tinyurl.com/ArcravesTheme Tester

I don't even know what i expected to see when i came back to this thread. Its very disappointing that I'm not very disappointed in what I've been reading.

hierbo likes this.
  19. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I agree with both Verra and Monstri with their different points.

It does get on my nerves when a person thinks a class is balanced just because they are good at it. *Cough*The bombjumpers who can go up 20+ in a single bomb yet say it is my own fault for not building tall enough*cough*

The 1.5 damage ontop of the extra 3 block stun might be a little too much, but who knows, it might work out during testing?

Also you can see my previous post about how much the RNG effects arrows here, it is pretty bad...And only gets worse with range.
    In fact my 50 year old father just the other week used a bow and arrow for the first time in over 10-15 years and still kept his skill of hitting the center of the target 3 out of 8 times(and close several other times)...So there really isn't a realism based excuse as to why the Archers in KAG are so bad by default(not the players, the archers themselves).

20. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This statement is much wiser than you may realize! Of course it can be useful to have academic debate in order to come up with ideas on how to balance, but there are a lot of moving parts in the balance of this or any game. To assume that any one person's theories, even one's own, about what will work to balance the game are correct without testing indicates an underestimation of the complexity of game balance.

That said, the current game settings have been tested at great length, and continue to be tested every day. So, I think it is safe to say that sufficient testing has been done to convince a large portion of the user base that the archer lacks significant potency on the battlefield in both direct combat and the much-mentioned 'support' position.

In my opinion, its time to take some of these ideas and test them one by one to see what happens. I have already begun to try on one of my servers, but unfortunately, the fact that a modded server does not show up in the server listing with default search settings has severely limited traffic to that one.

The server I'm referring to is as follows:
    hierbo's balance testing server (TTH) - USA

The server is open to the public, and the description section of the server states the particular balance tweak(s) that is/are currently active. I invite players in both the 'archer is already fine' and the 'archer needs help' camps to join and see what can be determined.

Verrazano, Jlordo and Crabmaster like this.