1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer changes general

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Landoo2, Oct 31, 2013.

?

should there be arrows that do more damage then just 1 heart?

1. yes, but they should cost much

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. yes, because 4 arrows are too much to kill a knight

38 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. no, because archers are already overpowered

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. no, because ..... (post your reason in the thred pls)

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I like the look of those changes. Letting any class arrow-climb is a nice touch, but what I'm most glad about is the removal of the RNG from regular shots. Thank goodness for that.

Actually, thank the devs for listening.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: hosting the server @hierbo maybe get in contact in some weeks, we've got a lot on our plate already currently and modded servers aren't visible enough yet - one of the items on the list involves fixing that. That said, feel free to work independently with the community on balance changes in the meantime.

4. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

I can help test and all that maduhiggy! If needed

hierbo likes this.
  5. Zedjer

Zedjer Catapult Fodder

Maybe make fire arrows stuck up to 30, so you can use them as better ammo for more cost

6. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

I'd personally would like it if water arrows came in packs of 3, and did not stun yourself when shot close-range. I'd like to be able to stun a knight close to me and pass him by, but its almost impossible currently. :water_arrow: :thumbs_down:

Otherwise fire arrows are perfect, and bomb arrow is good if fired precisely. I think buffing close-range arrow damage to 1.5 hearts is a good idea though.

7. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

If you had this people would just spam arrows, drastically. Also wooden blocks would get burnt down instantly since people would most likely always have a fire arrow in their backpack.
    Keeping them at 2 per stack is good, you think where you're going to shoot, if to shoot the wooden block and die, or shoot the knight coming at you, burning him and letting you run away.

Yeah, fair enough people would need allot of coins to afford that many fire arrows, but once you do have the money, you have the goods. Everything will burn.

Honestly, I think archers are fine, they're not the bastards in classic who would just spam you when close by. Thin is beta, a whole different game basically, and more death among the archers.
    Using water arrows, really? They can be useful putting out fires and helping a friendly knight by stunning the enemy, but really, they're not the main weapon of the archer. (In my point of view ofc)

Fire arrows are great for "no water on map" maps since you can just set the enemy on fire when they're not watching.
    And bomb arrows are amazing, get exploded, you!

------------
    Oh, and btw, you can't rush in on knights, shoot them and grapple away, if they're on two hearts; do a triple shot. Gg.

8. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Yeah because water arrows really need a buff! hurrhfhfhh

9. SamuraiCupcake

Hum yeah I actually mean what I wrote :ehh: . You think water arrows are already good enough? I never use them personally, mostly because I always mess up with them and they don't do anything. Money down the gutter. If I had at least one more, and was less risky to backfire, they'd be worthwhile imo.
    Care to explain your sarcasm? :wink:

10. Gurin

The archer class is a support class, not the main key of the army. They stun enemy's, shoot them, and burn/bomb things in sight.

As I said above, water arrows are mostly used to stop fire, stun an enemy knight (so your team's knight can kill him easier) or stun someone from far. Don't get up close, you don't have armour.

11. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

Knights can stun with water bombs. Knights can slash or cook bombs to kill at a distance, plus shield to approach archers without an issue. Knights are the only ones that can use Kegs and also have bombs.

The issue is simple: Archers are simply out classed in everything except for Bomb Arrows. Fire Arrows are easy to ignore because a good builder won't build a wooden hut.

hierbo likes this.
  12. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Archers are currently a lot better than they used to be and entirely playable right now, though I haven't played TDM in a few weeks so I don't know how good or bad they are in that, they work fine in CTF and TTH, for me.

Currently the only change I could kinda wish for is that the stomp would be more effective for archer instead of Knight...I was very disappointed in how they added that in but it added to KNIGHT gameplay more than anything...again!

The only other issue I have right now is the fact that archer is in fact the hardest class to get good at, but very good when you do finally get good at it. Which is all fine, except the fact that the Knight's highest level of possible skill is still way over any other class's highest level possible of skill...

rymcd likes this.
  13. SamuraiCupcake

Essentially water arrows are pretty useless except in certain rare occasions. Only 10% of the time you stun a knight will ANOTHER player get the kill, netting you zero profit. Stunning a knight only allows you to retreat, which you can do anyway with your grappling hook. Plus, its much more effective to just fireproof your base than to use up a slot in your inventory for your 2 dingy water bottle arrows.

You say don't go up close
    But the game encourages you to get up close to bypass an knight's shield using legolas shot. If I get swarmed, I don't want to stun MYSELF with a shitty arrow backfire when I just want to survive.

14. Gurin

Why would you be stunning an enemy up-close anyway? Try and hurt him and then use the Legolas shot and kill him. Try and stick around your team's archers.

Water arrows are only 20 coins for a two stack? That's not that much on my concerns , and plus, you should be saving your money up to something more powerful, more engaging and more of a feeling of "accomplishment".

I've seen people play greatly with the archer class over on the Aussie servers, some of them can actually be pre-lethal. You just need to learn how to play it right and the movement correctly, and what to do at the certain point/time.

15. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Current Archer:

+Helps team with bomb arrows ( pocket ballista ), fire arrows
    +Helps indivdiuals with water arrows, arrow climbing ( just backed up ked for a whole game as me archer him knight, we destoryed )
    +legolas shot makes 1v1ing knights easy in certain situations
    +grapple hook is extremely good

-2 hp can get one hit, maybe buff to 2.5? ( if thats even possible )
    -Can't do squat without team (2.5 hp buff would help this )
    -doesn't receive credit for team helping
    ^
    If archer could get a buff on one thing, it would be this. Archer is a great support class atm. However they get no credit for doing things that benefit the team. They are not that great at killing so money farming is hard, however if one were to receive gold for burning wood, blowing holes in bases, destroying shops, assisting knights with water. This problem would be solved and archer could finally be the Support class he is meant to be.

SamuraiCupcake likes this.
  16. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I'm pretty sure at one point in some thread I had suggested something similar, where archers (maybe builders too? idk) should receive coinss for destroying blocks placed by the opposing team. The suggestion was overlooked though, but I think it holds some value.

SamuraiCupcake likes this.
  17. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

It's a good idea except for one thing.

It does nothing for TTH. Coins don't exist in the game mode so Archer's problems still exist.

18. JoshTG

THH, has free arrows. Therefore problem doesn't exist?

19. SamuraiCupcake

I think so too! I should be rewarded for doing what the archer is good at, that is, destroying key things. Its very hard to get kills as archer, thus, its very hard to get coins.

In order of importance, from least to most coins reward (wood being less than stone) : destroying enemy blocks, doors, shops, catapults, ballistas, longboats and warships. Also get a bit of coin if you stun a knight and he gets killed by teammate.

I think the devs should seriously consider this suggestion. +1
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 6, 2013, Original Post Date: Dec 6, 2013 ---
    True dat. Infinite bomb arrows FTW.

20. JoshTG

However along with this, i seriously think bomb arrows should cost more, Now even though i dont play archer much i can always get 1 bomb arrow per life. If a proper reward system was added, id be pulling 2 bomb arrows easy, granted not all archers might be as good as i am ( not that great but decent ). A team full of archers using 1-2 bomb arrows on spawn would be ridiculously op.