1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ARENA: Fundraiser Invitational

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Ej, Dec 22, 2013.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Is... is this English?

Birdman159, Noburu, Kalikst and 2 others like this.
  2. Dat edit. Iunno but I think it's even worse than initial version.

Rubixxcube, sheek and Mazey like this.
  3. STOP THE SPAM

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

B-but it had stopped already onii-chan :QQ:

BlueLuigi likes this.
  5. were going live in 3 hours
    http://twitch.tv/ejwoda
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 11, 2014, Original Post Date: Jan 11, 2014 ---
    LIVUUUUUUUUUUUU
    http://twitch.tv/ejwoda
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 11, 2014 ---
    Congratulations to BoW, who after an hour of struggling against YB and MM's coding for team swapping and spectator managed to grab a 2:0 win.

tournament brackets:
    http://challonge.com/fundraiser

6. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

At a stupid business competition:>:(: Have fun and go xCUBE!!!

7. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

hey are there recordings of these matches for those of us that are unable to watch live?

BlueLuigi likes this.
  8. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

go to ej's twitch channel (ejwoda) and hit videos

BlueLuigi likes this.
  9. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

wow thanks I'm E-tarded.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  10. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

Watching back I realised I am such a minecrafter.

11. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

the first match starts a 9:50 the second match starts at 37:00. This is for people you just want to see the actual game play.

cameron likes this.
  12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Welp, gg BoW.

We'll see you 'round next time.

13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Too many of us showed up :(

We spent the whole time arguing who would get to kill you guys.

14. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

yeah its too bad I wish I could have seen some longer matches. What was the deal with those 3 flags vs 1 flag maps?

15. SAcptm

Both teams played the map flipped, so we each did a round on both sides. I didn't make the map but I imagine it was for the sake of trying to make things a bit more interesting. There was also another (symmetrical) map which was to be used as a tie breaker.

I think my favourite thing about playing that match was that nobody on either side felt compelled to build a ballista. May this tradition live on.

Fellere825 likes this.
  16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Tbh, I think that's probably due (at least in part) to the game mode being very different from normal ctf (due to Ej's changed settings) and people not having (as they would in normal ctf) a mental map of how to generally proceed in any given match. The lack of build time makes it a lot more aggressive and tends to put a focus on the already pivotal knight class. Not that I'm calling this a bad thing (I don't personally think we've seen enough to know how this experiment of Ej's will work out), but it definitely meant that both teams went into their games partially blind as to what would be required from them to "play effectively".

In the end both sides fielded players of reasonably equal skill so, afaics, it came down to which sides' natural playstyle best meshed with the modified ctf as well as who was quicker in adapting their playstyle to be more effective in the new setting. BoW turned out to be better suited to the necessary playstyle (through, I'd suggest, a combination of natural affinity and greater flexibility), so props to them. ::):

I'll be really interested to see how the other matches play out and to see how teams' tactics adapt/fail to adapt to the changes in game rules. Changing up the meta ftw! Woo! \o/

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah also you guys cheated. Fight us again and we'll kick your asses.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. SAcptm

In fairness we did play one training match with that gamemode before so we'd had time to figure out some of the more confusing shop stuff before starting. If you guys never got that chance then it was probably a bit of a leg-up for us.

I also think the lack of a buildtime, despite my initial scepticism, had some positive effects. As our teams builder, I spent a huge portion of the active match time just building up a tower that wouldn't fall over as soon as Contrary touched it, and so we never got our shops developed to the point of kegs or siege gear. Since ballista spam is in my view the most viable (and least enjoyable) strategy for vanilla beta competitive play, I approve of the buildtime change insofar as it makes it much harder to do.

Although I think I speak for all BoW when I say that our right to win through relentlessly shitty camping must be restored.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  19. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Making maps with no gold to dig avoids that too.

20. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

That means we'll be unable to build boats, and they're a necessity for any real competitive match.