1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ArL - Arthurian League

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Freddex, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

not really, just have to create a post like this one and ask who wants to participate imo

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA!!!!!! :D:p:rollseyes::D

*gasps for breath, gets lots of weird looks from those nearby*

Hahah. :p Thank you for that, I really needed a good laugh. :D

In all seriousness though, Ne3zy, you clearly have no experience working with these kinds of things. Please, if you're unhappy with how the ArL is set up, feel free to go set up your own open-invite league. Otherwise, if you're not going to step out and put out some hard work to back up your opinions, please leave said ill-informed opinions at the door. :huh?:

3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there one here? Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone from making more than one merc team. . .

This is looking great guys, can't wait to start whooping ass! I mean having fun. ;)

4. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

you're wrong I used to do this kind of tournaments on battlefield 2142, and actually if you find that making a open-invite tournament is hard you're the one with no-experience..

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Sigh. :rollseyes:

Once again you demonstrate your ability to completely miss the point.

ArL is not a simple tournament as you have been consistently making out; it is a league. This is not a single, one-time series of matches, it is something ongoing that will (if things go according to plan) become a permanent part of the happenings of the KAG community with regular matches, a fixed rule-set and scoring system and, basically, a higher standing than any old clan war or singular tournament.

If we wanted something more impromptu, if we wanted to allow the disorganisation that so often characterises open-invite events to frustrate any semblance of regularity, if we had wanted to make an open-invite tournament (which is fundamentally an entirely different kind of gig to a regimented league), then that's what we would have done!

But we didn't.

ArL exists to promote a polished and professional (in attitude if not monetarily) environment for competition in KAG. If that doesn't sugar your fairy cakes then (as I suggested earlier) you are free to go do your own thing. EoD. :huh?:

cleggy, Bammboo, killatron46 and 2 others like this.
  6. jack-o-saurus

jack-o-saurus Shipwright

ive asked shadewolf if he can apply this looks awesme good work guys :)

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ne3zy it would be easy for you to do that kind of thing. It hasn't worked well the few times it has happened on kag forums, due to people saying "YEAH I'M KEEN AS I LOVE TO PLAY KAG" and then quitting a few days before the tourney starts.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm all for this. Long live the competitive scene!

MINIMAN likes this.
  8. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

1vs1 is not a clanwar. And random merch teams are no clans as well.
    Just saying it would be fun to have all clans in a tournament. But that's quite impossible in a league that takes 5 months (:eek:) as clans will just die.

9. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

TheWids likes this.
  10. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Thats why we have the Merc team.
    Everybody without clan inside ArL can applicate to Merc.

Keeping that invite-only is the best way to keep organized.
    It took months to organize that.

11. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Fuzzy, i think that Ne3zy is allowed to give his opinion without being rude with him!

Btw, its a great step for the competitive scene and for the kag community.

Despite my quarreling with some admins of this tournament, i wish you good luck! It seems well organized and fun.

12. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Okay, to answer these things one by one:
    Yes, the ArL has an elitist notion. We're invite-only, and as seen in the requirements I listed, we expect some things from our member clans. I gained the impression that this is the only way on how to get a permanent league up and running. Yes, you can just make a thread and ask. But where to play? What are the rules? What makes the rules legitimate? When to play? What happens if a team doesn't show up? How to contact the other clans? How to make sure they're still there if we're going to start the league/tournament? How to solve conflicts between clans? Who will record the matches? What maps will be played? Who's red, who's blue? How to deal with lag handicap? We faced all these questions and more. Sorry it took that long, but that's just how long such a thing takes.
    We intend to be here and stay around.
    Okay, let me also point out some things about the Mercenary team:
    • This is not a clan. The mercenary team can come up with a different lineup every match, so we can get quite a lot of people the chance to play.
    • Applications go to LucasTT. If you are also sure that you know a good and worthy player, tell him to send an application to Lucas. We'll try to be neutral and give everyone a chance to play and get a bit of the clan atmosphere. Please avoid spamming, asking twice (or more) won't increase your chances in any way.
    • Just one mercenary team for now due to organisational purposes. As pointed out, there will be enough oppurtunities to play. You can also apply to a league clan and get to play some matches from there.
    • That's all. I just like bullet points.
    I think Mr. Fuzzy already clearly pointed out the difference between a league and a tournament. This is a league, treat it like that.

Geti, thanks for the support. It's really good to know that the devs approve this. : )

Froghead48: I'm not sure why you're posting that as a quote, so I'll just assume that you are of the same opinion. Why didn't I invite HA? Because I didn't even knew if it still existed. It has no forums group, no kind of thread on the forums, I never saw someone wearing the tag ingame (I'm European, if you're US-based, that would make sense). I don't even know who's your leader. I need someone to contact and talk with. I'm willing to put some work into this, but if there's no communication from the other sides, this can only fail.
    I'm sorry for any kind of misinformation being spread, this is quite a work load and also very new for me, so mistakes will happen.

Domis, cleggy, Viken and 5 others like this.
  13. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

The decision of making this thing invite-only, is 100% correct in my very honest, but, humble opinion.

As Alpaca-man and a few others already have pointed out; It simplifies communication and reduces the chance of dropouts by a great deal.

But also, more importantly, it acts as an incentive for people managing a clan. There is a higher tier of competitive gaming within the KAG community. Not just anyone can get there, you need credentials, a standing team and the promise of keeping it active. It is my hope that this first season of ARL, so beautifully organized by a couple of devoted mules here on KAG, will truly take King Arthur's Gold current competitive scene and beyond.

This is really something to strive for, a gathering point, for all the clans. There is a reason to be active, to reach ARL. Hopefully this will get the amount of attention it deserves, people have been working hard to get to the finished product.

To me this is one of the best thing I've seen show up on this forum. A community driven project that hopefully, from now on, side by side, will be a part of KAG itself.

This is the real deal. I'm so excited.

14. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

From the team captain, I suppose. Inviting ALL those mercs into ArL forum group, when at least 50% of them will be potentially quitting during ArL competition happening, would be a bad idea.

15. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

I had a talk with Freddex,he said that he will not add all the Merc's,and that I should make an a conversation with them.
    When I get another member,I'll create it.

16. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

... and you just can't hide it?

Viken likes this.
  17. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

This is cool, any chance there'll be spec slots on it?

18. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

I don't know,maybe only for the Arthurians,Freddex can correct me if i'm wrong...
    But every match will be recorded and posted here :)

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

20. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

i think this is a very cool thing to do. all you haters saying it should be open; i believe a ladder format would suit open play a lot better. i will consider organizing this and hosting a site for keeping standings in the near future - that's a lot of work, but i might have a lot of free time in the next 2 months. let's try and keep the rest of this thread focused on ArL, though.

also, for the record, i have fraps and a good connection - i can record matches in the event there are no suitable Arthurians available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.