1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ArL - Arthurian League

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Freddex, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I'm glad MOLE's first two matches were both away games, because that made us rage quit due to lag. Honestly, rage quitting that early saved us a lot of drama in the long run.

Archer and Builder are still playable above 200 ping, which are my two strongest classes. Knight fights are just complete shit though.

Beef, Boxpipe, Stevedog and 5 others like this.
  2. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

Let's dance then.

Wanna do the polka?

I can do the polka.

Boxpipe and BeasterDenBeast like this.
  3. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

... Guys, If first place wants advantage, do home country, 2nd team country, home country, so they do get an advantage.

Boxpipe and Hella like this.
  4. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Eating cubes soon.

Boxpipe likes this.
  5. Alright, this is getting a lot more complicated than it should be. First of all, POWER had to deal with playing on EU for 4 damn matches. Our only players at the time was Karp and Justi. We had to bear with the holy lag and you didn't hear a single bitch about it from us, and why would we, when we still managed to win one and tie the rest? Now that that's done, let me bring up the proposition about home servers. First team gets the advantage of playing on their home server, second team then plays on their home server. If there is no definite winner yet, we use a neutral server. So if first match is on EU, the second on US, the third will be on AUS. If everyone agrees to that I see no need to continue this debate.

If anyone starts bringing back the ping debate I'm gonna rage and start giving everyone free lagscaliburs to even the playing field.

Boxpipe and Rayne like this.
  6. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

So, basically, Symph, what was said about 2 pages ago, hmm? :P

Domis and Boxpipe like this.
  7. 16th

16th Bison Rider

Wrong. Slo-mo building & double fall damage is da shiat! :skull:

LucasTT and Boxpipe like this.
  8. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

I will try to help by copy/paste some rules of the biggest and oldest soldat league (22 seasons). It could give some advices.

Boxpipe likes this.
  9. Of course POWER can choose Australian server. That would simply prove that they want to win at any cost while they claim they play for fun. Well, maybe they do, but for their own fun sake. Playing with 400 ping isn't fun. To be honest, it shouldn't be fun for any side unless your opponent enjoy straight-forward slaughter house without putting any effort in it. Also, I think I saw here some argument that australian POWER is better than NA. Don't make me laugh. With all respect to your Australian division, NA is way better. You got Siggson, Nitz and Brilly. I guess it's enough to face any NA clan.

And on the side note, somehow none was complaining about letting Australian team play in KAG-o-ween tournament few months ago and you were in the finals and made 2nd place.

Solution: Freddex should stop trying to please everyone with Home and Away matches. Democracy isn't answer. Make it dictatorship and put in the rules that you have to choose either NA or EU server. Again, no disrespect to Australian community but you can always make your own league, tournament, whatever as repeated many times at the beginning of the thread where some scrubs were complaining about letting them in.

By the way, second season is going to start immediately after first? Or just in September/autumn?

And why would anyone make rule of winner choosing server for Grande Finale? It's dumb. Finals always occur on NEUTRAL ground not HOME/AWAY system.

Or: make the final match completely separate thing from ArL, I don't know, call it King Arthur's Cup or whatever. That way POWER is named winner of 1st season of ArL and they're invited to play in that match between two best teams. Or make brackets and let play 4 best ArL teams meanwhile preparing next season?

justi01, Beef, ParaLogia and 3 others like this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just shuffle the server/location list with a computer and play to a strict schedule based on the output. That way its the computer's fault if someone has a bad ping match and no-one's "trying" to fuck with the results. AUS NA EU random combo.

Alternatively, let all players in the league vote on the location of the next match, with non-votes counting as nothing. Those that are involved in the league get to say where it's held.

The ultimate solution is people are a little less butthurt about playing high ping rounds :^)

11. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

or just stick to eu and na next time. the aussies can have their own tourny.

Boxpipe, 16th, Maverick and 2 others like this.
  12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I've mostly kept my nose out of things thus far, but if I may offer comment?
    I fear, with all due respect to the POWER people (you know I love you), that this is a fair summation of how things stand. Yes, POWER are ahead in points, yes it would be nice if there was some recognition of that but, whichever way you stretch things (like claiming that people just need to practice more/recruit more people in different places/etc.), at the end of the day playing with high ping is spectacularly un-fun for 90% of people out there.

Really, deciding the server location becomes a simple matter once you decide what kind of league ArL is--
    1. ArL is a highly competitive scene where if you can't keep up, if you don't have players in all time zones and people who make a habit of playing w/ high ping just so they can lagscalibur their opponents, then "go cry harder nub." i.e. It's all about the winning-- harden the fuck up or get the fuck out.
    2. ArL is a competitive scene, but there's also space for good sportsmanship & generally just enjoying the game; and hey, if at the end of the day you've won, so much the better. i.e. It's about the love of the game-- we play hard, but we're not dicks about it neither.
    POWER, I hate to put you on the spot, but it seems to me (a relatively objective observer, seeing as [YB] are not in the running) that if you keep pushing for your 'right' to have an Aust. server that you will only confirm in many peoples minds the thought that Kalikst has voiced-- namely that you care more about winning than about having a good, fun, honest bash.

And speaking personally (if I may do that): while I will endeavor (as always, like I do with everyone) to think neither more nor less of you, whichever way you choose, I have to say that forcing a match in Aust. strikes me as, on the whole, a rather dickish move. :\

killatron46, Boxpipe, 16th and 2 others like this.
  13. I was going to leave this but it seems as if there's been a misinterpretation in the posts I didn't read, and no one's replied to mine...

So, all we wanted to say was this:
    Our gripe was not with the barring of Australian servers in the finals, it was the impromptu manner in which the decision was taken away from us (or rather, narrowed down for us). Not once did we voice that we had planned on picking an Australian server for the finals (in fact, we were planning on going out with a bang, like making our Aussies fight xCube on an American server during the league and dicking about during the finals), we were merely stating that we'd been informed (by Freddex, in the ArL IRC channel) that if we were in the lead after all the planned matches had taken place, we'd be able to pick a server of our choice to play the finals on.

Without the server-choice wholly in our decision, we wondered:
    A) Why the heck we played months worth of matches for (yes, we had fun, but we thought the point system would at least serve a purpose); and
    B) What do we do from here?

I attempted to bring up the scenario of us playing in European servers because it's ultimately a similar (<-keyword, not to be confused with 'the same') situation to the one everyone assumed was going to take place. However, somewhere along the lines it seems to have come off as "LOL SUCK IT UP BITCHES WE 'DA BEST! WE DIDN'T COMPLAIN SO YOU CAN SUCK OUR DICKS!"...

We understand that this is the first time a serious, competitive league for clans has taken place in KAG. Due to this we're more than flexible when it comes to last minute decisions. We just don't like being told we can do something, and later being told we can't without any discussion taking place beforehand.

My original post was written as a gateway to further debate regarding how the finals should be handled but, like my European server example has come off as arrogant or something...Or just completely ignored, one of the two.

Let's hope I explained that right, even though I'm fairly tired.

Tiruin, justi01, killatron46 and 5 others like this.
  14. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

POWER r the villains of ArL.
    Because everything needs a bad guy.

On another note, I think having each team pick up their server for one match + one neutral if it's a tie is the best solution.

15. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

Needs more regional brackets.

Canadian98, One and Rayne like this.
  16. Like Beaster said, we were even planning to do some amazing shit like have our Aussies fight xCube on America or possibly pick an EU server for the finals and let our new recruits bring home the trophy. And then you come in here and tell us our past EU matches where we lagged like shit (which many of you seem to hate) meant nothing. That's basically the entire reason this shit started, it wasn't that we desperately want to fuck you guys over (which the majority of you want to do to us)
    Also me and verra already proposed a better way to handle this like three times yet everyone (except Hella Juaro and Monsteri who liked the idea) is still focused on the "dick move of picking a server"

17. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Of course it had a purpose! It was used to determine the top two clans! But in the end, the tournament has to end with a battle between the best, at a level playing field to really show who's the best. :r_flex:

I trust (now) that POWER intends to display excellent sportsmanship, but yes, it was difficult to see the focus/tone of your posts. I can imagine that you were troubled since Freddex told you that you had a choice, but tbh Freddex was really jumping the gun when he said that, without first holding a discussion.

We have noted Verra's (was it Verra?) suggestion, as well as others (see Monsteri's, Boxpipe's, and Geti's posts). In fact, I think we've already moved into discussion of such options, since it now seems that having an Australian server in the finals will not be a problem (this season).

18. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

This is all a little ridiculous. Let's be real.

Tomorrow, we (American Merc) are playing against (Aussie POWER) on their server. It's going to be a ping massacre.

And of course it's contrived. Having us play the Aussies on an Aussie server gives POWER a significant advantage, especially when their NA team is arguably better and could easily field a team for us to play.

Is it smart? Yes, to win at all costs.

Is it fair and honest? Not even close.

Last time we played, it was on a server where we both had bad ping, it was frustrating, but at least it was fair, fun, and exciting.

ArL should be about producing exciting, competitive, fair matches for the community to enjoy on livestream. Competing teams should not have control of where the matches are taking place. Whoever is running ArL needs to step up and take control.

It's Arl's first season so I can understand working out the kinks and that improvements are going to need to be made.

I understand the win as all costs mentality. Lets just be honest about it. It includes picking servers that give your team an advantage, many times a huge one, and those matches are not real matches at all. It's just scamming wins.

ArL has little credibility this season. MOLE was right.

thebonesauce, Ej, Stevedog and 10 others like this.
  19. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Vidar for complete control of ArL server match choices

Stevedog, FuzzyBlueBaron, Aoi and 3 others like this.
  20. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

We have Australian players that want to participate in this tournament.

Because none of the opposing clans ever pick an Aussie server for their home server, POWER is forced to pick AUSSIE for our home matches.

Otherwise they would never play.

Which has been a point of contention between POWER members for a while now, i.e. who gets to play.

You act as if POWER has a choice. POWER is a democratic clan, which means that we want all the members to play.

Hell if it were up to me, I'd play in every match, simply because I like having fun, but that is not at all fair to the other POWER clan members.

Symph has demonstrated without a doubt that playing with lag is completely possible, his playing with 400 ping in Europe is some of the funniest things I've ever watched in KAG, and symph can play all the classes competently, in any lag.

You shouldn't blame a little lag for losing games, it's the mark of a sore loser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.