1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Arrows Penetrate Players

Discussion in 'Balance' started by unclearimage, Feb 23, 2014.

1. unclearimage

unclearimage Builder Stabber

A single knight can slash and (if the team is stacked) kill the entire enemy team.

An archer can waste arrows, if a bunch of knights are stacked on a ladder and I shoot down I should be able (following the logic of the knight's magical sword) to go through their entire ladder full of men. (Who aren't shielding)

Obviously a shielded knight would stop this arrow penetration, but 2 archers and a builder running straight at me would get an arrow right through the lot of them.

2. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

you can actually, and think about it, slash multiple people at the same time since you swing the sword.

you cant, if you think about it, shoot multiple people with one wooden arrow.

Apronymous likes this.
  3. unclearimage

unclearimage Builder Stabber

You can't jump on bombs, or float on a shield, or run as fast in full plate mail (with a shield) as an archer (in leather), or swing non stop while jumping around like an idiot in full plate mail, or surf on a hunk of solid steel in real life either though.

Blue_Tiger and Nighthawk like this.
  4. stees

stees Builder Stabber

5. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Logic is logical.

But really, as I said in the post that stees shamelessy advertised (the one where everyone hates it. Yea, that one), in logical sense, knights should be able to slash and arrows can't penetrate.
    Read it here:
    Being able to hit through targets are EASILY within the range of logic, but you think otherwise.
    So, you can only swing a sword upwards? Not sideways, or from the bottom left corner up to the right? You can only hit one person in a sword-fight? Or any combat with a stick-like weapon? Nope. You can. Easily.

Arrows, they are such small things. And you'd have to have a hugely powerful arm to pull the bowstring back AND have to have a metal bowstring or something, since one or the other would snap or break before you could get a piercing arrow, especially with armored assailants.
    Of course, with what you said in the post below Yagger's, logic does NOT trump game mechanics. What the heck game would it be if you had to always have to CHASE the builders and the archers.
    Of course, they tried to explain it with some context.
    Builders are fat, so they can't run as fast or be so agile. Archers have a grappling hook.
    In a logical sense, archers should use their grappling hooks for speed, not just running, so their regular speed is good. Not the Dev's fault that Archers aren't using their main tool. Sure, bombs and range can get archers, but those are projectiles.

But, if you wish to see those mechanics in action (slower knights and everything) and more realism, go try the Alpha build (Classic). It's nowhere near as fun since it was mostly a strategic "should-I-jab-or-shield?" game, and things were more logical. But, remember, that was a slow, mostly boring game (at least to me and from a couple of other observers I met).

6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

So if we want to discuss the actual idea instead of the video game logic, I don't think this would be too far fetched of an idea. I've tried pitching it to people in game but nobody ever responded.

Because archers in their most annoying form are sitting on a tower and spamming arrows, they are usually higher up than their targets - so at the angle at which they shoot, they will probably only hit one person anyways, because the arrows are coming down from above, at a more direct angle to the ground. This change would give incentive for archers to be closer to the fray, so they can aim their shots to hit multiple people. Then archers get to choose between shooting safely from a tower and hitting mainly single targets, or being closer to the action, making them more vulnerable but also more offensive.

Arrows would be stopped by shields, so they wouldn't be that strong - and if they were still op, then perhaps make it so arrows did half damage to any secondary targets.

Of course, current public opinion on archers is that they're op (I think?), so buffing them like this might piss some people off, but I think it would be a good change.

7. Dargona1018

I, personally, have found more people being on the ground as Archer as camping in towers, but at the same time, I have been mostly playing on Last Kings, so they get Lk, Zen, frisson [f], and other good non-clanners, so I might just be getting lucky.

8. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

maybe you were playing on flat maps?

i dont agree with this idea, in any case i would prefer a new class of arrow, one that penetrates the first guy
    dealing 1 heart of damage to the first one and 1/2 heart to the second one (the arrow ends there).

9. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Obviously archers at OP now, but that's fully due to the new update where there were a tonne of feature testing so a lot of the stuff will likely(/hopefully) be reverted. Maybe it will be more balanced, but I fore-see that knights will be OP again, so this would be a good chance and help contribute to non-tower archers.

10. Dargona1018

Neither are OP. Knights are slightly underpowered from their previous overpowered, and literally two things happened to archer which were (taken from the update page):
    Archers were never Overpowered. They seem like it compared to what they used to be, AKA "everyone hide behind platforms and waste team slots!", but nothing truly happened to them.

Really, with Knight getting those slight nerfs, they are more neutral than underpowered.

11. Blue_Tiger

Slight nerfs? What are you on, those changes are HUGE. Knights literally cannot get into enemy bases which is a huge blow for them - many people hate the change, and even myself who really dislike how knights were OP dislike the change. Knight invasions were a huge part of the game, which are now easily avoided since they can now only bomb-jump right from outside the base.

P.S. Archer is OP because knight is UP.

12. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Eh, I still find that the archer's ability to simply camp unfair.
    When it comes to what they can do, they do a good job of it, considering my recent, and strange luck with playing Kag nowadays.

Though, on topic, I honestly don't believe archers should have penetrating arrows. It is a godsend that arrows cancel each other out because this cuts down on some of the arrow clutter in the battle field. Just imagine if this weren't the case, that'd just make volleying the norm, and every class unable to advance.
    But with arrow penetration, you can arrows that simply bore through a whole team at the same time if they are lined up, something even knights can't do, and you could easily guard against by standing 3b away. And worse yet, consider this happening, in addition to shotgun mauling with archers, you could simply hold off the enemy team with two archers procing at the same time. That is very uncharacteristic of the class, and undermines the place of knights.

13. Dargona1018

Bombs. They are the answer. Builders will get lazy, and bombers will rule the world.

As it said in the update, the Devs were wanting a more grounded fight, which will lead to balance.
    I understand your concern, but I mean, heck, only 50% of knights could truly wall-climb, so that only messes with super-competitive matches (usually with clans present).

The reduced glide isn't too bad. I mean, I barely notice it unless I am really flying far (tramp-cannon for example).

The "shorter stun" seems good, but it isn't as noticeable to me.

The slash-cancelling jab encourages jab-spam and pretty much breaks the game (since now you can BARELY outrange them with your slash, and most times, you move in, get jabbed somehow, and then get jabbed to death, and even shields don't help).

EDIT: I am not terribly biased as I am both a knight and an archer, equally.
    But I do HATE the choice to take away all athletics and parkour from the game as that made it fun, being able to do badass moves as you slice someone's head off.

14. It disgusts me how much you want to nerf the knight this pitiful

Archers can go much faster
    Archers can maneuver with a grapple hook
    Archers can do so much and with this new update they are actually very balanced

Knights lost a lot

No wall climbing
    Less Gliding
    Less bomb jump effectiveness
    Slash ranges were nerfed

Like what the **** how can you possibly want to Buff archers more and nerf knights more?

Might as well make arrows heat seeking and deal 99 hearts, and knight slashes never hitting

15. Blue_Tiger

Thread was made before update.

Most stuff is probably going to be reverted in the update from what I understand.