1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Art Dump

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lizardheim, May 30, 2011.

1. TheAverageMan

TheAverageMan Shark Slayer
    1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

Yeah, you should've seen the pieces that got first place, unreal x_x

2. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Anonymuse, startselect3 and MrIcarus like this.
  3. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

4. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I might post my background for my game. Scenic mountains for da win.

5. TheAverageMan

1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

Happy (early) Halloween you filthy pagans!

[​IMG]

Was for a pj challenge but the canvas is too big, will be doing another animation for it though. Gonna use it for me sig

EDIT: made it more smoove.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  6. Elf

Elf Bison Rider
    1. A Special Forces [SF#]

Man, I can't draw anime...

Attached Files:

7. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

[​IMG]

This image was done by two of my studio's concept artists. One for the character, another for the color and textures. It is a character concept piece for our manga, Nightmare Overdose. He is the Grim Reaper, Thaine Atos. His name is a play on the ancient name, Thanatos; a personification of Death.

startselect3, icemusher, Elf and 2 others like this.
  8. TheAverageMan

1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

Oh, damn, that's great thiamor!
    --
    Avvy for Punk123
    [​IMG]
    Had to use a smaller version for the actual avatar since you can't have animated stuff for your pic : ( Animation is sloppy, just added it for kicks.

Unfinished animation that I never submitted to the PJ challenge. Might finish colouring and spicing it up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Elf, startselect3, Smilecythe and 2 others like this.
  9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Thanks. It's for a legit webcomic/manga.

10. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

thanx again for the pic and wuts a pj challenge

11. TheAverageMan

1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

PJ is PixelJoint, it's a little community for crazy people who like pixelart :P

12. Bint

Bint Haxor

Hi-res pixel art doesn't impress me that much, you might as well call it painting. I prefer the pumpkin in your sig.

13. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Noburu can. It's still limited by the 50kb file size, and maybe other stuff, but it's definitely possible.

TheAverageMan likes this.
  14. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Pixelart always looks best with a small palette.

15. TheAverageMan

1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

I dunno, I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but maaaan, you can get some pretty awesome stuff with hi-res pixelart (and that zombie is pretty low res -- I just posted it at x2 the size).
    Example of a WIP gif that a dude made that's pretty big (I put the wip gif in case some people think it's a digital painting instead of pixelart)
    [​IMG]

Imho, pixelart as a whole is very similar to painting whether it be a small sprite or a bigger piece. I think there's a fine balance on what is impressive with both small and large pixelart pieces.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  16. Bint

Bint Haxor

I wasn't referring to your zombie when I said it was too hi-res (I meant the dragon), I love that one too. But yer just personal preference, that dragon's still cool but it isn't a representation of what great pixel art is for me.

17. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

My idea is that you just love simple stuff that looks obviously like it's pixel art. Which to me is way below the standard of what should ever be considered great.

18. Bint

Bint Haxor

I just tend to prefer simpler designs I guess.

19. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Pixel art is still pixel art whether it's on a large or small scale. It's about creating something more than the mere 8 or 16 colours in your pallet.

The dragon is great because the artist creates his image on an 'atomic' level, piecing it together from the smallest possible components, with the maximum detail. If it were simply a painting, then, whilst still grand, it wouldn't be quite so impressive.

On the other hand, smaller, so-called 'simpler' pieces, such as the zombie head, can take just as much skill to produce. Its all about the representation at a minimalist level. Just look at the size of a knight's sprite in KAG; they contain a huge amount of detail when you consider that it is made entirely of about 60 squares and about 12 colours, about 5 squares of each color on average. Capturing a character and giving it a personality on that scale is admirable, perhaps more so than a large scale piece where you have all the space in the world to play with.

Fernegulus, Guro, EhRa and 3 others like this.
  20. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well here is a work in progress, monster concept piece that will be in our manga later on.
    She has 6 arms as you can see, and on her back will be these long, 4 strands that have lights on them at the tip.

Two on both sides of her back, to attract her prey. Sort of like an Angler fish.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    TheAverageMan, PUNK123 and Guro like this.