1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Art Dump

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lizardheim, May 30, 2011.

1. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

I'm doing pixel art. It's rather impractical to draw pixels on pictures.

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It's for practice

3. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

As to familiarize with the shape, you mean?

4. Monsteri

yes, kinda.

5. Smilecythe

Smilecythe Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

MSpaint is free and an already existing application, no need to download any unnecessary junk when you already have a gem in your board. You seemed to go through alot effort writing that list and I believe effort should always be rewarded.

Come on now.. you can suck on it some more lol

Does all my artwork look like 4chan reedits to you? Does it look like I have technical problems? There isn't hotkeys, so what? There are some valid points in your list, but most of them are insignificant for pixel artists or just an opinions based on plain lazyness and hate. Nothing of importance comes to my mind for instance from saying "You cannot edit selections in any way in MSPaint". Oh and you can also open another paint to emulate an layer.

There are custom mspaint versions where you can animate. I myself use photoshop for transparency and gifs, but frames are always done with mspaint. Here's a simple and easy technique for that:

[​IMG]
    Now, why should I download a custom version of the same shitty mspaint when I could just get a whole new better software? Here comes the phrase: "Because that wouldn't be mspaint". Mspaint is my passion and obsession and I will plan to keep using it.

With non-pixel art I meant mspaint art itself, note just because the pixels and colours are dynamic doesn't mean it's pixel art. I know what you imagined and not being able to do that with mspaint (again) has nothing to do with pixel artists. Now, mspaint being bad for pixel art and mspaint art? Me, my art, my projects and my homepage (NSWF/+18) should consist enough proof that mspaint's limits aren't impossible or even difficult to get over with. All you need to do is overcome bit of that weak patience and hate of yours to make mspaint functioning and significant. MSpaint is a gem/godfather because it has everything necessary, I cant help it if you have problems accepting this.

6. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

7. Monsteri

Already looks a lot better. Keep it up!

8. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Shopkeep Stealer

Ok we get it Smilecythe you're a mspaint fanboy, will you please shut the fuck up now?

You're content with paint I get it, but there are loads of better programs out there and people have the right to know that.

Looking better there chosen, looks like an apple now.
    You should try some hue shifting, bring some blue into those shadows.

9. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Thanks for the support guys :)

Blue? I haven't tried hue shifting yet. How do you modify it? Change the RGB values, the B value, I reckon? I'll just try, and if it looks bad, I'll just try again :D

10. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Shopkeep Stealer

Are you using graphicsgale?

11. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

No, I'm using Paint.net. The annoying thing about it is that I can only edit things at pixel-level at a zoom of 800%, or 1600%, as that's when the transparency squares line up with the pixels, or something like that. A real nuisance.

12. Smilecythe

Smilecythe Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

People have also the right to know MSpaint regardless it's limits works just as fine. And since you so eagerly insist, I can temporarily lay off, till I have some more content. I do feel childish myself arguing with Geti.

13. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

It seems like you agree on two things.
    1. MS Paint is fine.
    2. There are better programs than MS Paint.

Now, can this please stop?

14. dekkerdave

dekkerdave Shopkeep Stealer

Hello!

I used to do some pixelart, mostly the cars, here are some examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did more of them but I haven't stored them and some of the images on hostings had expired :/

I have also peeked to the digital painting, there's my devart: http://bigfoot-y2k.deviantart.com/

neil_v, Contrary and Acavado like this.
  15. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Nice dude :)

Is DeviantArt a good place to share your art? Once I'm a bit better and have some things I want to share with people, I may open an account.

I've heard the average age of the DA'er is eleven. That age group is rather infamous on the Internet. ED speaks bad about them. 4chan speaks bad about them. Almost the entire Internet community speaks bad about them. Is this true?

16. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

17. dekkerdave

dekkerdave Shopkeep Stealer

Chosen-
    As 22 years old I can't say I had some problems with younger users, except the one who was flaming on my account as a revenge from being banned on our local pixelart cars board years ago. Yes, some of their so-called art may suck, but that's all. They're not annoying me at all. Or I'm just good at avoiding them.

illu-
    Thanks!

18. CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC Shipwright

I know XP's MSPaint got me started in pixel art. I love it for its simplicity. There aren't a bazillion buttons to click, or tons of little extra features you don't need.
    I would have never gotten into pixel art, or perhaps not even art itself, without MSPaint.

But honestly, MSPaint isn't the greatest program out there. There are tons of better tools that have features that make working easier.
    I used to only use MSPaint, but recently I've been using GraphicsGale, and it's wonderful.
    I can even make gifs with it - something I could never do in MSPaint without an additional program.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Smilescythe: I've been clear in saying that MSPaint is not unworkable in the same way that I've been clear saying notepad is not unworkable. You can do good work in it (and you do) just as you can write good scripts in notepad. The tool isn't as important in the final result as the artist is.
    My argument isn't that it's impossible to make good art with MSPaint, it's that the program is limited and disruptive to an optimal workflow, and I feel that that's been abundantly clear from the start.

@chosen: being able to draw something at a large scale is handy if you want to do pixel art of it. sketching at a pixel art scale isn't as effective as on a large canvas because your lines run into each other and break.
    That said, hue shifting is really just changing the hue towards some colour at one or both ends of a ramp. For a more dramatic, realistic green ramp rather than just changing the luminosity/value you should start with a hue between green and blue towards the low value/dark end and as you ramp up slide the hue through green towards green-yellow.
    It makes your pieces look a lot more lively, and lets you get away with both higher and lower saturation on your colours - higher saturation looks very dramatic, lower looks more realistic.

DeviantArt is a good mix of users. If the average age is 11, I haven't met that much of the average dA populace - but I guess I don't go on damn so I'm not very likely to.

20. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Gah, the people of Pixeljoint only say things like:
    "This must be better."
    "You did that wrong."
    "You should not have done that."

And no one said things like:
    "This is already better than the last one."
    "The [whatever I did well here] is good."

They give good advice, though :/