1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Attention community web and app developers

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by FliesLikeABrick, Jun 13, 2012.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey all - I'm hoping to publicly/officially announce the availability of the King Arthur's Gold API for accessing player information (account/ban info including forum [account] avatars, gold status, last played), status (what server someone is in, etc), server status/information (including preview minimaps - this is what the new server browser uses), ban information and way way more to come (hopefully stats, trophies and potential rating/ranking mechanisms).

I want to gauge interest from web and app developers because there's huge potential for community applications to do neat things. With kag:// support being fixed/added soon (at least for windows since it has a proper installer) and the ability to launch straight into a server from the command line (/path/to/KAG -join foo bar - documentation will come on that), web sites and local applications will be able to tell clients to join with the click of a button (immediately joins a server as long as auth credentials are saved).

So what's this post about?
    The possibilities are wide open, especially as more functionality is added. But here's the important thing, I need feedback from you guys about whether or not you actually think you'll use any of this and what other information I can share from the API which you would use. Also ideas for what kinds of tools you would like to create, if you don't mind sharing the ideas to help shape how I develop the API and encourage others to do the same.

Some technical details about the API:
    • Available over IPv4 and IPv6 (highly encouraged to use IPv6, it is easier for us to scale)
    • generally based on REST principles though may deviate a bit on how collections are handled
    • 100% JSON except for special resources like minimaps which are served as png
    • Very fast processing times, will only get faster in the future as additional caching is added
    • I will have a C++ class used by the client and server open-sourced at some point in the near future; it implements a number of calls in use today by the KAG client and server (like everything you see in the minimap)
    • Currently 100% SSL-only, though specific calls may be permitted over plaintext eventually
    This is not an announcement of the API's public availability, that should come in the next week or two including documentation on all calls which are ready for public use.

2. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

Someone translate this fancy smanshy computer talk into english please.

LetsplayCmansez likes this.
  3. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

yes plz... but what do i realize that accessing player information will make people who really are the better players, however it should be how many kills to death per round rather when they quit.
    this is a thing i am waiting for...

4. FliesLikeABrick

stats/performance things should be overhauled at some point, but it is low priority compared to the core development going on

Froghead48 and Awesomec like this.
  5. GloriousToast

i would assume so.. i hope its soon.
    the things that i can think about right now is:
    ingame modding might be nice. such as be able to call a screen which lets you change the variable while in swordfight and sandbox

would this be a tool as you had said here?

6. Nananas

Nananas Bison Rider

:huh?:
    eeeh... Soooo will it be possible to make a Rainmeter skin showing a minimap and stuff for a couple servers??
    (like, download the minimap from the url as a .png)
    Would be great :p

7. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

I'm not a fancy developer but for sure I will want a forum signature that displays if I'm playing and my currently playing server, score, kills...

Antman likes this.
  8. FliesLikeABrick

https://poc.kag2d.com/siggen/kagstatus-simple.php?username=Sitanel

There's a simple one I made, I would expect other community devs to do way better once I have the API documented. Just put that in an img tag. I'll try and add more information to it as the API gets more information, but more likely there are other devs who will do way more once the API is full published

Sitanel likes this.
  9. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

I was thinking of a mIRC or other script that tells us when one of the KAG dev team goes in a server and then says "Click here to join him"

10. FliesLikeABrick

We are hoping to offer some API interfaces for buddy list-like functionality at some point (which will allow people to create scripts like that without checking the API every few seconds/minutes), however the current API is only set up to do pull/polled queries, not any kind of push notifications. It's a project on our list though.

We will have API-side "buddy list" support eventually, so that you can check the status of a bunch of people/groups of people/clans all at once.

Antman likes this.
  11. GloriousToast

i would like one that is cool

12. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

13. FliesLikeABrick

Indeed, it only will get your location reported by servers which have been restarted to pick up this new update. By this time tomorrow I suspect they all should have it. Increasing the build number would have made it more clear which ones restarted, but it isn't worth that hassle when there isn't a netcode change or something else which should have a build number increase

If you want it to show up as an image instead of a link, put it in a img tag (or use the normal 'insert image' tool)

Awesomec likes this.
  14. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

Thanks, I added a bot with your name in my server :thumbs_up:

Awesomec likes this.
  15. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

What he said, this is my thought exactly.

Antman likes this.
  16. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The_Khan likes this.
  17. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

This has so many possibilities its blowing my mind

18. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

This is all exciting, I don't know how to do anything like this so I will just have to sit and watch the magic happen.

19. FliesLikeABrick

If you want to see neat things come from this - encourage those who do know to act and do neat things. The possibilities are endless because we are very open to exposing data and interfaces to encourage community development - it's just a matter of some people starting work on projects and telling us what they need

20. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

Clan widget, maybe for forums or other, saying location of everyone (even forums), and being able to click on each person to view their stats.
    I can see it now. It's completely pink.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey