1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Aurora Borealis

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shadlington, May 12, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hi folks.
    My partner has a recently been diagnosed with a degenerative disease that is going to slowly take away her eyesight over the next 5-30 years (its highly variable).
    Something she has always wanted to see is the Aurora Borealis (or Northern Lights).
    I would like to take her to see them over this year's Christmas break, whilst she would still be able to see them.

However, I don't know a great deal about them.
    You guys are from all over the world, so I figure there's a decent chance that some of you will either be from countries where you can see them or have visited them.
    Does anyone have any advice for me? What country to go to, tips for finding them on our visit, etc.

I'll be massively grateful to anyone that can help.

Froghead48, FAITH, Kyzak and 5 others like this.
  2. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Rovaniemi in Finland is a nice place to see Aurora Borealis. Moreover, you can see Santa Claus too !

Airline tickets are quite cheap. I was there for the new year's eve and that was one of my best travels.

3. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I personally do not know of any specific places on top of my mind.

I feel that I want to contribute with something however, this is nothing you couldn't have found yourself, sorry for not being that helpful

10 best places to see northern lights

I feel like that site can at least give you some rough, starting estimates, on where to look.

4. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I'd say Alaska/north part of Canada if you're on Northern America continent, or northern parts of Norway, Sweden or Finland if you're near Europe.

I do not know any specific locations that are best to observe them, but I hope I helped.

5. FAITH

FAITH Shark Slayer

i'm really sorry about your girlfriend man (its a bit off topic i know)

Froghead48 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi