1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Basic Knight Technique

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Nifran, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Nifran

Nifran Catapult Fodder

Hi, it's only my 2nd day playing, and I still can't get hold of basics of knight fighting, dunno if this is because of the speed of the game and the confusion when there is more people and ton of objects on the ground or bumping around, but it is very difficult for me to figure out what is going on, not get slaughtered, much less learning to get better. There is a ton of threads for stuff like bomb-jumping which IMHO is only useful for special occasions (not that I have coins for bombs most of the time anyway), but no threads about the basic technique.
    So I'd like to learn some basics like what to do in what situation, if anyone could share their opinions of best technique, maybe this could end up like a good basic guide for starting players.
    So what do to when:
    1) you are being jab-spammed
    2) you are on top of someone
    3) someone is on top of you
    4) you are too confused wtf is going on with all the objects around
    5) when to jab and when to slash?
    6) always attempt to double slash?

Bammboo likes this.
  2. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

3. LadyHawk

LadyHawk Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Stick to a group of other knights...usually a fail proof technique.

Guitarman likes this.
  4. Nifran

Nifran Catapult Fodder

Thanks, I read that guide of course, it doesn't address my questions.
    I hoped for better answers, do people like to keep this knowledge private, or what? I think it would benefit the game if noobs like me didn't drag down their teams with their terrible 1:10 kill:death ratios down for too long...

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

So what do to when:

1) you are being jab-spammed
    First of all, try to avoid getting into this situation but still there are a few things you can do. You can jabspam back. It's a bit of a toss up on how will hit who but you can get at least a little damage on them and kill them if they're low. You can try to block and counter attack, which is slightly more reliable than the other option but still not guaranteed. Alternatively you can just sit and block or block and move away until an ally gets them of you or they try for a slash, in which case you jab them.

As you jab or slash jump up and down on their head as this can cause them to miss their attacks. There's also a jab blindspot to the top right of people's hitboxes but only abuse this if you're a jerk. It's a good position to be in.

Mix up jabs and blocking while moving to try to get out. Of course slash if they just keep shielding. If they try to jump and charge a slash jump up with them and jab them in their slash are use that as an opportunity to run out.

Pick up an easier game.

Jab if you're up close and can't disengage, if they're not a threat (due to class, bad ping, or no skills) or is someone is charging up a slash and/or you don't have time for anything else. Slash whenever you have the time and distance to do so. However I think jab or slash is a false dichotomy, often the best action is to move.

Pretty much. This game is hop back and forth and then go for the slash if they over extend.

Bammboo and killatron46 like this.
  6. Nifran

Nifran Catapult Fodder

Thanks a lot Contrary, that is exactly what I wanted.
    Though if anyone else had other ideas or eh... contrary opinion, I would welcome it.

7. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

The following technique is oriented more towards 1v1:
    I always try to let my opponent strike first so I can slash them when they back away. If they don't engage first then I feint and hop around a lot while slashing to coax them to me. This hopefully creates the situation stated above.

Nifran likes this.
  8. Andr01d

Andr01d Haxor

For one thing, the game often changes with new updates, and players techniques change also, sometimes independently of new updates, so the best thing to do is to always be adapting and thinking of new ways to win. A good way to learn is to watch other people who are doing well, and try to imitate them. You can also try to record yourself, and then look for times you are doing well and try to recreate whatever you did.
    Momentum is important, if you can come at someone with high momentum and alternate jabbing and shielding, they'll usually die. A lot of people don't like to engage in close range, so use this to your advantage with high momentum to take down those boring slash lords. Notice that slashing generates momentum, so a basic technique is to slash forward, and use that momentum to land a jab or two.
    A lot of the game is psychological, so you can try to use bombs to confuse your enemies. Often if you throw a bomb, even if it doesn't kill people, it can put them in an awkward position as they try to avoid dying. Then you can kill them with your sword.
    Also as others have said, teamwork is important. Even a good knight will have trouble against a group of enemies, so try to stick with a group. Basic teamwork: either sync your slashes, or have one person shield/jab while the others slash.

Nifran likes this.
  9. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

I think it's been mostly covered, but i'll try to expand upon some of the ideas. (if I double up, it's because I cbf reading back. I'll try not to.)

1) you are being jab-spammedIf you are trapped into a small space and your opponnent is jabspamming, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLASH. This is the number one rule, as they will kill you before you can charge your slash half-way.. Instead, try to either shield push them and then escape/ jump back and slash. Or, as Contrary said, jab them back.
    This is a good place to be; well, sort of. You want to generally get jabs in at this point. As long as you shield down on them, you're almost invulnerable. When they charge slash, jab jab jab jab jab etc. etc.
    This isn't game over. If you can move a little, get them off you. If you can't move much, or they can stay on no matter what, try to get in some time to slash or wait for a fellow player (pretty much anyone with eyes will do, even a builder) to distract them/kill them.
    I perceive this to mean multiple players, bombs, kegs, catapults etc. In this situation, generally retreat is the best option. Jump as far away from the chaos as possible (allows for a slight problem for archers; a jumping target is slightly harder than a walking one), then get to a high point or hide until it all dissipates. Yes, it's cowardly, but as you may have learned, half of knight is about being the coward. (in most cases)
    Well it's all about spacing. From close up, jabbing is the better option. Also, if you have your opponent on the run, give chase (unless they are backed by others or near a tower of theirs), and all the while -especially when they have to lower their shield to jump-, JAB. It works ALMOST 100% OF THE TIME. They won't want to suddenly jab back at you because chances are they have lowered health, hence them running away. With slashing, it's good to use it from a higher or lower position that the enemy. If you see a large group of enemies below, try to charge a slash a bit then jump down (bombs would be preferred, obviously) and release the slash. Your drop will, if you were high enough, stun them; therefore you will slash them all successfully. There will always be the few knights who shield as you drop down- this isn't an issue as long as you immediately move away from them and hopefully circle back and repeat.
    not always. When you do see those aspiring knights doing that fancy, in-the-end-shitty tactic of charging slash and hopping back and forth, prompting you to slash first- JUST CHARGE! Jump up at them, jab them or even just bash with your shield. Often it will catch them off-guard, and then you have the upper hand. When you DO have the advantage, THEN go for the double slashes and other fancy stuff.

(extra)7) bombs (weapon usage, not jumping)Bombs are probably the most important part of knights, second only to shields(imo). Use them sparingly and carefully (unless, of course, you know your way around them very well). Obviously their AoE is helpful for clearing large groups of enemies, but they can be handy for distracting groups as well. If you ever see a fellow player in trouble (i.e 3 knights attacking them), try distract the knights with a bomb and get in there with your pal. The element of surprise can turn the tide in a lot of cases. Also, when debating who to throw your bomb at (if they're spread out), go for the smartest-looking(usually determined by their behaviour beforehand) or closest builder to whatever you're defending. Then go for knights and archers. Also, you may occasionally be facing an archer close-up. If they are a bad archer, just attack them with your sword or stomps. If you are facing an experienced archer, they will usually try to jump OVER you as you pull out your bomb; a way to counter this is stay as close as possible to them, shield towards them and keep your bomb until it's going to blow before you blow them to smithereens; they will have barely any time to react if you kept close enough. Of course, they may try to stun you; if this is the case, a little hopping to and fro may solve the problem.

Sorry if I did a poor job of explaining, but I hope you get the main points! Good luck out there soldier! :D

Nifran and Gofio like this.
  10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

1: Shield. They can't (well... they can but...) keep jabbing. When they stop, and start preparing a slash, just jab them, and shield.
    2: Don't do anything. This is one of the most dangerous positions, really, and you should actually avoid it. If you are on top of someone, use the same strategy as 1: just jab them when they prepare a slash, and hold your shield whenever they are not.
    3: Just wait till 1: he prepares a slash or 2: enough time has passed, then just walk away. He will drop down, and you'll have a small moment in which you can jab him.
    4: Just keep your shield, and slowly go back to a safe place. Move your mouse to the corners of the screen, and try to find out where those objects (arrows, bombs, rocks) are coming from.
    Arrows: Just remember the archerspots, and the best way to shield for each of them.
    Bombs: These are thrown by knights, you'll have to think fast when you see one being cooked.
    Rocks: Same as archerspots, but now you'll want to find the catapult nests. Don't shield for them unless you have no other choice: one rock will hit your shield, the other ones will gib you.
    When you have found them, just shield and dodge and you should be fine.
    5: Its like Rock-Paper-Scissors --> Jab-Shield-Slash
    When someone jabs, shield.
    When someone shields, slash.
    When someone Slashes, jab.
    When fighting archers, just try not to let them jump over your head, if they do, move in the direction they are jumping: This will relatively make the jump shorter, and usually surprise the archer, allowing you to kill him.
    To make them more effective, use doubleslashes bombs, and jabspams, and remember that dodging is at least as usefull as shielding.
    6: well yes! That is, if you were going to slash anyway. It won't delay you, so why not? The worst thing that could happen, is that you miss, but your enemy will still be stunned. Just shield or jump backwards, and you can continue fighting.

11. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Um.. This probably doesn't answer any of your questions, but these might help anyway.
    1. NEVER EVER EVER charge into a mob of enemies, unless you are a crazy good player, like some people from build 1 and stuff.
    2. If someone''s trying to bomb trap you in an open space, try to jump over the enemy, or behind the bomb. If you're in a cave, well, I don't know.
    I thought I had some other tips but, that's all I remember. Good luck with your fights!

12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

2. If you're in a cave, at the very last moment, shield AWAY from your enemy. usually they'll throw the bomb, and it will launch over his head, or right into his face!

13. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

3. If you're in a cave with Gofio as your enemy, throw the bomb in front of him! X3

Basically, try to predict which way your enemy will shield, then do the opposite.

Nifran likes this.