1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[BAY12] Pokemon Orthoclase and Microcline

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Reudh, Jul 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. What is Pokemon Orthoclase and Microcline you ask? Well, it's a Pokemon Romhack based on the Fire Red rom, that is: Gen III, the most advanced tile based (and therefore easy to edit) game.

Over on Bay12, we conceived the idea for it. It was to be a Pokemon rom hack, made by amateurs. It was to be filled with Bay12 and Dwarf Fortress references, as well as internet memes and other games. EG the 'Exploding' Bayomon, Tsssss.

The hack itself is in VERY early stages, very early indeed- only three mons are completely implemented and about ten more partially implemented, and three routes complete. I can give you some shots of the game so far though.

Currently involved with the project are:

USEC_OFFICER: Head of the project. Some mapping, sprites, story, implementation.
    GlyphGryph: Head of the project. Spearheaded most of the early stuff. Sprites, story, mapping, implementation. No longer working on the project. Maintains the repository/github.
    Bluerobin: Spriting, mapping, implementation. Essentially third in command.
    Monk12: Ideas, moral support
    Reudh: Head writer, some bayomon ideas, Wiki editor, dex entries and other housekeeping info on mons
    Darvi/Wymar/Frastur: Writer, bayomon ideas, implementation, spriting, wiki editor, Man of Many Names, maintains the repository/github, tileset editing
    Johuotar: Mapping, spriting, bayomon ideas
    Ironhand (Yes, that's right, one of the tileset makers for DF!): Spriting, a few Bayomon, trainer sprite. No longer working on the project. Came up with the Llama family.
    Drakon136: Ideas, spriting.
    Furtuka: Ideas, spriting, bayomon ideas, concept art, concept pitcher, writer
    Bulborbish: Almighty God of Movesets, world map
    Sheb: Sprites
    Warhammer: Concepts of Unicorpion and Perlihorn, primary sprite of Perlihorn
    Sirknight: Concept art, moral support
    Shakerag: Concepts of the Capybar family
    Earthdirt: Our IRC bot. Sorely missed. :(
    Korbac: Movesets, ideas, base stats

I believe i've missed out on more than a few people, too. :p
    And now, for some images!
    [​IMG] Early sprite for our Trainer, courtesy of Ironhand.
    A demo!

[​IMG]
    Uncarp! Water/Dark. Boatborn's nemesis. A nasty little blighter of an undead fish, this one.
    [​IMG]
    Perlihorn. Normal, later Fighting/Grass. Uncarp's nemesis. A half reference to My Little Pony, half to the DF unicorns (branched evolution tree, Perlihorn -> Unicron -> Perlestia = Lunicron). The hardest one to start with, but the most rewarding. I'm aware of the misspelling but I can't edit the rom, so 't'ain't my fault.
    [​IMG]
    Boatborn. By far easiest to use. Fire/Ghost. Perlihorn's nemesis. A reference to the old Dwarf Fortress LP "Boatmurdered". A flaming elephant spirit. Legend tells of the shades of the elephants burnt alive in Boatmurdered's "F*** The World" project have returned as Bayomon.

[​IMG]

Oh god no, it's Wonkyth! He's gonna battle me. (Standard sprites and dialogue still. It's difficult to get everything working.)
    [​IMG]
    Wonkyth. :/

[​IMG]
    Wonkyth why'd you choose the one i was weak to? :huh?:

[​IMG]
    I finished Wonkyth's Uncarp off quickly and headed to Bluerobin Cave. There, I encountered my first Bayomon.

[​IMG]
    haha brumble sillybilly you can't even hit me

Antman, jerloch, Cadbury and 9 others like this.
  2. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

The pictures come up as blank space to me?
    But nethertheless, I support!

3. They do? They're hosted on Imgur, so they shouldn't. They appear for me just fine, too.

4. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Wait, better this time.

5. I played a few hacked Pokemon games in my day. I actually own one (as in, GBA cartridge). T'was called "Pokemon Quartz", mucked around with it for a while. Dat feel when profanity in Pokemon, priceless. I can't say I fully understand the references, unfortunately, but I know a lot of people that would!

Good luck to the team and yourself, Reudh!

6. Heh! Beaster, it's actually inspired by Quartz! "If one spanish teenage kid can make a romhack, what's to stop us?"

7. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Images weren't loading for me, neither, but I took the liberty of checking out your git, and I must say I like what I see! :D

8. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

There HAS to be the legendary fortress of Boatmurdered in there. And pictures of cheese depicting a picture of a cheese.

HERaLD likes this.
  9. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

There should be a whole cheese evolution line.

10. I'll pitch it to the team. :P
    What type should it be, and what would its name be? I also have some new sprites to show off to you guys.

[​IMG]
    Professor Tarn, the professor in the game. Look up Tarn Adams, the creator of DF, and you'll see the hair is perfect.

[​IMG]
    From Furtuka: "This could be a shonen/vigilante type character. It's based on the RSE Birdkeeper sprite."
    [​IMG]
    "Then I looked at the cape and hair and thought, it looked familiar."

[​IMG]
    Rival sprite, based on PkMn Ranger Male.
    [​IMG]
    Rival possessed by demons; endgame sprite.

[​IMG]
    Homestuck Troll would like to battle!
    [​IMG]
    Dungeon Leader Elfy would like to battle!
    [​IMG]
    Female PC sprite. :D

11. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

There best be a three legged cat pokemon.

12. We've got an electric type cat pokemon.

It goes:

Cat-2 -> Cat-5 -> Cat-Clowd
    A clowder is a name for a collection of cats.
    Basically they're supposed to be like the catsplosion in Dwarf Fortress at first you have two cable-cats together, then five tangled, then Cat-Clowd is a veritable mass.

[​IMG]
    Cat-2

[​IMG]
    Cat-5

We have no sprite for Cat-Clowd at the moment, because the creator of it has left the project for reasons unknown.

There's also Mewstew, but that's not an official bayomon yet. It does have front and backsprites though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Based off a common method of dealing with a catsplosion in DF: Cook and eat them!
    </br>--- merged: Jul 18, 2012 7:26 AM ---</br>
    Boatmurdered is represented by the Boatborn -> Boatforged -> Boatmurdad starter. We have a few of the other famous LPs in there; Headshoots and Syrupleaf being one of them. Syrupleaf is to be our first gym; here's an early sprite of Holistic Detective's vs. Sprite, and one of her three Bayomon.

[​IMG] Furtuka made this based on GlyphGryph's "dwarven laborer" sprite. It's very early stages at the moment, he's unhappy with the magma / fire effects (and we only have 16 colours to work with so it's tough). You can see Trailmachines, her prized Adamantine Chain Mail.

Holistic sends out three Bayomon. Two Spawndorfs, which are based on the standard spawn from the Syrupleaf LP.

[​IMG]Dark/Fighting. Mighty Glacier sort've stats. (High attack/defense, low speed / hp).

She also sends out "Leetspawn", based on the Elite Spawn / Greater Spawn found in hell.
    </br>--- merged: Jul 18, 2012 12:59 PM ---</br>
    Some more updates for you! Here's some concept art Furtuka drew a while back. Images are large though.

Brumble and Crundill[​IMG]
    Pyresprite and Spiriblaze[​IMG]

Magman and Hieman, the magma man and blizzard man.
    [​IMG]

Bunnyboy likes this.
  13. Cadbury

Cadbury You can't escape. Donator

Interesting premise for a ROMhack. I've never really gotten into DF, so I don't get what Homestuck has to do with it.
    A few of my favorite ROMhacks are Fire Red Omega (Fire Red with lots of new content such as all Gen I-III Pokemon being encounterable), Liquid Crystal (Crystal reimagined on the GBA), and Brown (a completely new fangame on the GBC with 220 Pokemon).

14. It's DF primarily but also has a bit of internet culture and memes thrown in for good measure.
    For example, we have a Spambot pokemon that uses Transform and attempts to hide (do abilities carry over after Transform?) using its ability Color Change.
    Or, we have Tssss, the Creeper pokemon. Normal type, only learns:
    Mean Look, Growl, Howl, Growth, Self Destruct and Explosion. I'm thinking of putting in Mind Reader / Lock On because creepers are uncannily good at finding players.
    </br>--- merged: Aug 1, 2012 11:22 PM ---</br>
    Hello everyone! I come bearing gifts of more concept art!

Here's Wambler, Gianbane, Skarmint, Hoarfrost, Cawallow, Bigallow, Caviator and Skelk.
    Wambler is absurdly weak and cute, but when it evolves into Gianbane it becomes one heck of a glass cannon.
    Hoarfrost is our Ditto equivalent; it's a hoary marmot but because we made it into a ditto-analogue, the Hoar is a play on words. ;D
    I came up with Cawallow, Bigallow and Caviator. They're based on the Giant Cave Swallow from DF.
    Skelk's one of our numerous "undeads", along with Skarmint. Hoarfrost evolves into Skarmint.

[​IMG]

BeasterDenBeast likes this.
  15. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Could we please have a picture of Tss?

Mods: BlueLuigi