1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperHighMe, Mar 15, 2012.

?

Do you think bitcoin would be an acceptle alternative payment?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Yes!

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. No. What is bitcoin?

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I Dont Really Care.

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperHighMe

SuperHighMe Catapult Fodder

So, i did do some searching to see if this have been brought up before, and i found nothing. So i have a few questions, im not some "Noob" asking for free premium and im not some kid that cant use mommy and daddies credit card. I dont have a credit card and dont use one, yes i only buy what i can if i have the cash for it. I'm 18, so none of this "kid" crap please. Now back to topic, my first question is would KAG support bitcoin? if you dont know about Bitcoin its a crypto currency that is not backed by a central authority, yes it has value and is backed by the processing power used to mine the bitcoins which in return also keeps the network running smooth and safe. For any KAG devs you might wanna take a look into this link on how to incorporate it into your business https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Merchant_Howto and also if you want to know more about bitcoin itself and how it works go here http://bitcoin.org/about.html Now if you guys dont want to bother i understand its not my place to say, i have heard a few people in the bitcoin community talking about this game and how they hope in the future you guys would accept BTC, now you might wonder well what do i do with these "bitcoins" after i have them, well take a look at https://mtgox.com/ you can trade these bitcoins for several different types of currency. I know this may be asking to much or out of the question, but if you guys accepted bitcoin it would open a new wave of possible customers. The current Mtgox exchange rate for one bitcoin is around 5.30$ USD, i would gladly pay 2 BTC for this game no problem (id have been premium awhile ago lol). Now like i said i checked and havnt seen anything posted on this yet, so i just thought id bring it up for discussion. And also another question is by chance do any KAG devs or trusted members work with bitcoin in a way that i could work with someone and get premium? if not its understandable. Thank you for your time. *P.S Mods if this is the wrong section please feel free to move this thread. And if this has been discussed before i apologize before hand.

Mqrius likes this.
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

We won't support bitcoin payments, at least not in near future.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

What are spaces and paragraphs?

4. -Q

-Q Donator

I've always seen Bitcoin as a fruitless scam; I think others would agree.

No central authority? Who do you think owns bitcoin.org, convincing 'merchants', like sheep, to give up valuable cpu? It seems like a form of botnet, only voluntary.

And if you are so willingly to buy premium using bitcoin, why haven't you used mtgox to pay? Because it's a scam, perhaps, with similarities to the obligatory 'survey' system? I can see illegitimacy just by looking at the mtgox site... Rather than any useful interface that would be used by already-existing members, it only hosts its own advertisement.

Yes, from what I understand, these 'miners' rent out high-grade, dedicated hardware, to the central system. The central system then makes profit via selling these calculations to research-based organizations, such as the protein-synthesis one you might have heard of. The number of miners increase exponentially, as per the plan of the bitcoin economy, leading one to assume the amount of mining does as well.

This might be disillusioning (read: horrifying): http://blog.ohinternet.com/8452/bitcoin-mining-for-comedy/

thebonesauce and BlueLuigi like this.
  5. SuperHighMe

@ Hatsumei, well i kinda said i dont use a credit card. so i dont have a bank account. so how would i transfer bitcoins on mt. gox? it depends on how you look at it i guess, noone has the same opinion, china has accepted bitcoin as a form of acceptle currency but thats also debtable per say, My opinion to it is neutral and if it was a bot net in a way it would be gone of my system in a heart beat with any irregularities detected. I left hacking and wont look back, but none the less i respect your opinion and thank you for at least participating.

@BlueLuigi i know i know, i knew id get crap for it but i was in a rush, trust me i know already lol, i'm a little bit of a grammer nazi at times just not this time.

@Furai ah well that disappoints me but i do thank you for taking the time to at least reply to my question thank you.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. -Q

-Q Donator

China? That seems a bit ironic.

Spoolooni likes this.
  7. SuperHighMe

I know that was my first thought when i heard about it in the bitcoin community lol, but who knows, wouldn't be surprised china would want a virtual form of currency either though, governments aren't to bright now a days, that is if they ever were lol.

8. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We've had discussions about supporting BitCoin before. Some members of the team are in favour, some against.

Personally, I am in favour. However, at this time the general consensus is to pass on it for now and to review it as an option at a later date.

Froghead48, Mqrius and SuperHighMe like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm with Shadlington on this.

Those claiming bitcoin is a scam:
    The software is open source, you can go and look at exactly what it's doing.
    You're not doing any useful calculations that _could_ be rented to anyone else by the "owner" of the system, because bitcoin relies on the calculations being more or less fruitless work, with each hash giving your wallet some random chance of "winning" 50btc, with the magnitude of the chance based on the current global mining difficulty. I've personally looked into _how_ to adapt some form of useful computation into it but haven't come up with anything that provides proof of time and proof of work. I think that's a shame, as there's a huge amount of computation work going to waste at the moment in the production of bitcoin.
    Generally mining is done collaboratively and in pools now, with pay relative to how much money the pool has made in the last day and how much hashing power you've contributed in those days.
    I'm personally not very interested in amassing bitcoin but we'll likely consider implementing something like bitpay that lets us get cash out in the future, just not for a while.

Hatsumei you seem ill-informed and very biased :/ The bitcon thing is and was an unmitigated failure, naturally, but just because a few nutjobs use the currency doesn't make it illegitimate - the fact that mobsters and paedophiles use "real money" doesn't mean that the rest of us are mobsters and paedophiles. mtgox might seem dodgy but I've got a friend who's drinks for the last 6 months or so have been paid for entirely by bitcoin-sourced money converted to USD via mtgox and to AUD via paypal withdrawal.

SuperHighMe: Get a bank account, regardless of whether we accept bitcoin in the near future. You'll need one to get paid when you work a real job, at least for the next 50 years or so.

10. -Q

-Q Donator

Oh, I didn't mean to offend or anything, and of course I didn't bother to do any extensive research (Most of my bias stems from my own personal experience, believe it or not, in 2009). Mining has always been done in pools for the public user, but I do believe there do exist dissidents who use dedicated hardware.

On the hash thing, I retract all statements, and urge you to disregard thus, as I have a certain penchant for long, hard, objects.

With that, good day.

Spoolooni likes this.
  11. SuperHighMe

I know but they way banks have been going in america the past 40+ years, its hard to put any trust into them when they have royally screwed the country. Thus leading to me not having a bank account right now, my grandpa grew up during the great depression, before he passed he taught me some things i go by, 'When the government says everything is ok. Its time to panic, Always be prepared for the worst and be careful who and what you trust'. And i'm currently unemployed "thanks to the mass amount of older folks *no offense* trying to take jobs that should be below them, the few jobs i have been able to get ahold of they usually have no problem paying in cash as long as i did the work.
    but besides that and my random bickering thank you for responding to the thread and giving some good feedback, One reason indie games are loved by me personally, They actually care about the user's, Thank you, be safe, and take care

12. Utahraptor

Utahraptor Hulk Hogan Tester

[​IMG]

get a friggin bank account

13. SuperHighMe

Lol i don't trust government. i thought i made that clear, from personal experience i've seen them screw up way to much to put any faith in them. The Forefathers did not want us to trust banks much less let them control our federal reserve. They would be ashamed of us. I Don't have a bank account for a reason. But we all have our opinions, be safe and take care

14. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

This means you are not allowed speak on the matter in an authoritative fashion.

I don't trust the government, hell I'd be willing to bet that almost no one trusts the government. I and everyone else still have a bank account because I like it when I have money to buy food and occasionally a vidya gaem. Most jobs pay by cheque or direct debit to your account. Being paid cash is increasingly rarer in society unless you're avoiding tax. At the very least get a Credit Union account and some form of Online payment option similar to 3v. I'm not sure what things you have out in your neck of the woods but 3v is basically a card that you use to create temporary debit cards for use online.

Stops me from owning a credit card and I can still independantly buy stuff online without having to ask anyone to borrow theirs. Personally I'm opposed to credit cards, I think any sort of item that promotes you getting into debt is a bad thing.

15. HostFat

HostFat Catapult Fodder

Any news about this topic?
    Are you going to accept Bitcoin as payment?
    (I'm not asking to accept Bitcoin "only")

There are some payment processors to make it easier:
    https://bitpay.com/
    https://coinbase.com/
    (but there are probably others...)

Humblebundle is also accepting them :)

16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We may add a bitcoin option in the future, there's no immediate plans to though because the majority of the world pays in normal money and it's what we buy food with. If we went with anyone at this point it'd likely be coinbase but we're pretty disinterested in bitcoin as a currency when the majority of demand we get for new payment options is from places where bitcoin is prohibitively expensive to acquire and even more useless for buying day to day goods.

17. Geti

That said the game might be on humblebundle at some point and the bitcoin enthusiasts would be more than welcome to splurge on the game there if we haven't got around to adding "native" btc payments by then :^)

18. if anyone is desperate to buy KAG using bitcoins PM me and we will sort it out.

19. norill confirmed for a drug dealer

20. Waky

Waky Haxor

Bitcoins are for chumps, Dogecoin is where it's at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.