1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Bomb arrow nerf

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by kodysch, Oct 27, 2014.

?

Reduced bomb arrow destruction

1. yes

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. no

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

mfw you are telling Oodle, probably one of the best archers in-game, to learn the game.
    Dude, that is not the problem. Builders get a shitload of money, all to support their team, whether that be kegs, mines, bombarrows, bombs, and that is what they are supposed to do.
    Only the smart people use it to their own advantage.

Also, please, stop talking about other classes as if you know them. Builders are the worst class at the moment, and just because you never play, you think that they are the best. The gold gain has been there forever, and without that gold gain, the game would break more than if you took away Knight's Shields and gave the archers Instagib Lasorz.

They have ALWAYS been JUST that. ALWAYS! It just wasn't until that whole drill debacle that it had shown.
    The balance of the platform being so fucking expensive to someone without a wood farm, and it protecting it a bit, that is perfectly fine the way it is.

Okay, just a fair warning to everyone here, the reason that I am talking about this is because it is so spammable.
    There are NEVER towers that are THICKER than 3 blocks, because, what's the point? Nothing can break it.
    You people have just never seen them used correctly. There were 4 matches in a row where archers, that used to be builders, went to the frontline and destroyed a tower and our flag room (tower shoulda stayed there forever and ever, as it was incredibly fortified and tall) in less than a minute. This is drills all over again, but now shot through the air! The air! No defense against that, unless you wanna just add a layer of platforms jutting out from your tower, which is a waste of supplies.

kodysch and Sky_Captain_Bjorn like this.
  2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Their utility is not reduced to that of bombs at all because it takes no skill to deploy them effectively. You just click on the tower, and it falls down. Conversely, with a regular bomb it's rather difficult to take down even a 1 block thick tower from a distance because the bomb has to be right next to the bock at the time of the explosion. This involves timing both your movement and your throw. For the ease with which bomb arrows can do damage to otherwise inaccessible places on structures, I think a nerf would really be reasonable. Bomb arrows are currently about as powerful as exploding ballista bolts, without all of the setup and limited freedom of movement a ballista entails. As a result, I rarely see ballistas used as anything but spawn points nowadays.

Dargona1018 and kodysch like this.
  3. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

During public matches or clan wars .?

There is a huge difference... You cannot spam like that during clan wars and people will build some good towers against that bomb arrow spam.

4. Dargona1018

It is probably gonna be for both.
    At this time, at least from what I'd seen, there are barely anyone that uses Utility Arrows in CWs (water arrows can be bullshit, fire arrows aren't needed due to smart builders, and bomb arrows are neglected), so this wouldn't really affect this as much.

kodysch likes this.
  5. Pharphis

Pharphis Tree Planter

*shrug* bomb arrows are just about the only reasonable way to blow up flag rooms that are on bedrock floating in the air. Otherwise you need a knight to make it on top with a keg or a builder to be free to be up close and personal.

If there's no one near your flag room because your team is either not paying attention or were all just slaughtered I see no reason why an archer shouldn't be able to take advantage of that moment to open up the flag room and steal the flag. In almost any other case an archer has great difficulty in accomplishing all 3 things
    1) blow up room
    2) get into room quickly
    3) get away with flag

PUNK123 likes this.
  6. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Where do you want to nerf it anyway? It only destroys 1 block which is totally fine. Should it do small damage to blocks and not even destroy any for 50 coin? No one will buy it unless you change it to 30 coin, which will result it more spam.

7. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

The knockback could be reduced a bit maybe, the knockback has caused a lot of failed keg attempts (if you shield it, you fly backwards quite far).

8. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

well actually KAG just lacks good players, and good players are mostly good builders. Builders who repair a tower fucking immediately, instead of digging the trap they've been drilling for hours.

9. Dargona1018

It does a 2x3 square of damage, I think, going back one tile from where it hit, so it does a HUGE amount of destruction.
    This is what it destroys:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :no::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:

So, let's just say that someone etched out a hole, there goes a very large portion of your 3-wide flagroom (which is what almost all flagrooms are like nowadays), just for 50 coins, easily gotten, and from a long distance, where you only have a small chance of getting sniped.

The thing is, you shouldn't be able to DECIMATE ALL DEFENSE as you can with this.
    I have not seen anything thicker than 3 blocks on a flagroom, nothing thicker than 2 on a tower.
    So, 100-150 coins will win the game, with no risk at all, and that is total bullshit, more so that other stuff.
    And this is coming from Oodle, a reaaally good archer, and me who also mains archer now.

ShnitzelKiller and kodysch like this.
  10. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

I'm afraid that the above stated fact contradicts the empirically originating knowledge of mine.

11. Dargona1018

I said that just to make a point, that 3 bomb arrows can easily get into a flagroom and steal the flag, AKA win the game.

12. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

if the other team lets you get close enough to make that shot(which only happens when your team is charging)then itd be cheaper and easier to use a keg,but buffing bombs to do the 3 by 3 dmg would solve this why do we need nerfs. IF your just charging with bomb arrows and you somehow get close and destroy their flagroom its the other teams fault for not being able to defend it
    i dont care what you main if people didnt want everything nerfed so the class they main will intrest them more then there would be more rounded players not just people who "main" one class to death;I also dont think yours and oodle's opinion are worth more just because you play archer more personally id be more intrested in the 100's of people opinion who play the game but do not use the forum.

13. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

You mean the opinion of the aforementioned builders who dig dirt while the base is being decimated.

This shouldn't be a majority vote; dargona's is an informed opinion. I'll restate because it's pretty much a solid reason that bomb arrows are unbalanced, by definition: Ballistas are obsolete as anything but a spawn point. They cost hundreds of coins, you need gold for their exploding bolts, and you have to set them up in a forward location, man them and sit still and vulnerable as you slowly fire individual bolts.
    Just to do exactly the same thing as a volley of bomb arrows, which can be done while zipping in and out of the front line.

14. PUNK123

with the introduction of shotgun arrows it is insanely easy to pick off 1 archer if your in a group and a couple knights could easily hold a skilled archer off with an inventory filled with bomb arrows. The ballistae can use alot more shots and is very useful if you feel like using it and it isnt the bomb arrows fault people disregard it(like with spike drops theyve always been ingame but not used much)you act as though i havent played archer at all and i dont know what im talking about even though i have no idea who you are(anyway point is everyone's opinion matters)

lastly people need to learn the game so dont insult the humble bundlers(im talking to you too darg you were a nub once upon a time too i saw it :P)

15. Dargona1018

Kegs are terrible now, absolutely useless.
    It's the huge target on your back for archers and knights, its the dirt around it that absorbs the whole explosion, its the pits that people fall into, having it go to waste on a worthless spike pit.

Bomb arrows, on the other hand, are so much easier. Maybe you play with archers that have less than 2 hours of experience, but it is VERY easy to get within the range of a bomb-arrow. As long as you don't have knights that get slaughtered 24/7, you should have enough of a push to get close to shoot it.

The thing is, you don't even need to be ANYWHERE NEAR the blast-field to be able to use them, and there is no risk involved.
    I said that because, as shown right here, people who DON'T main archer don't understand it, same as with knight and builder, its just a fact that isn't noticed much. Me saying that I main archer was more of credibility, and Oodle has as much credibility as any other amazing archer. We know how things are, and anyone that doesn't play archer wouldn't completely understand how easy some of these things are.

I am one of the main people that has been trying to be as helpful as I can, I just don't see how I am insulting anyone in anything that I am saying.

16. PUNK123

it was in another thread darg

Your opinion isnt worth anymore than someone with 2 hours of experience because they still have valid insight on how classes should mesh

you cant just charge them with bomb arrows and expect to break anything unless your team has already gained enough ground for you to aim and attack towers ect

lastly i dont see why my opinion of buffing bombs wouldnt work one of kag greatest features is its destructability

17. zampanothechimera

zampanothechimera Shopkeep Stealer

ok the are both invective and effective it depends on the map the structure and lastly the actual enemy so there is no point in arguing because it all depends on those characteristics of the current match.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 2, 2014 ---
    but i side with Punk here Darg.

PUNK123 likes this.
  18. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

If every thing is buffed nothing is.

Drag has pretty much summed up my thoughts and I share his opinion about the nerf. The reason I want it nerfed is that if unchanged it will become the main strategy, leaving other methods behind. I want teamwork to be rewarded. You say it isn't the bomb arrows fault the ballista is neglected, I say it is. The ease of the bomb arrow and it's exact block destruction from a distance makes it preferred over it, over a keg, over a builder. It's a lot easier to nerf something that is over powered to bring a balance than to buff everything. Saying this I would be in favor of Blocks getting a buff to resist bomb arrows

PUNK123 and Dargona1018 like this.
  19. zampanothechimera

zampanothechimera Shopkeep Stealer

I still think that .. wait Drag?

PUNK123 likes this.
  20. Dargona1018

Typo..

Also, thanks for supporting me, Oodle. :wink:

PUNK123 likes this.
Mods: Rainbows