1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 1110

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, May 2, 2014.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

Quite a big balance patch this time, with a few experimental changes in the mix too. Let the changelog begin:

• Knight Shield
      The Knight shield angles have been tweaked a lot - they should provide less cover overall, meaning that more arrows and explosions are likely to hit their mark. Specifically, the shield angle has been reduced from a whopping 220 degrees to somewhere between 130 and 160 degrees, depending on what you’re doing specifically with the shield at the time. Be a little more careful, knights.
    • Kegs
      Kegs now can take much more of a beating, leading to less premature detonation. There’s a catch, however - kegs now get dropped when they’re hit, meaning someone can shoot or smack the keg off your back. People with kegs will need to be a fair bit more careful if they want to keep a hold of it; try to provide support for anyone on your team carrying them! Kegs also change their owner on getting picked up now, rather than on throw, so that the correct person gets the kills.
    • Explosives
      Explosives now can’t actually destroy ground blocks - they’ll chew structures just fine, but will not remove any blocks The blocks will need to be removed by other means (sword, pick, drill, bolt, boat, pick your poison).
      This should help reduce the background terrain erosion a lot, and give builders more control over the flow of the battlefield, while still allowing blockades to be bombed down. Bedrock “eating” keg explosions should also be a fair bit better, and kegs should _not_ kill through walls that absorbed the explosion - of course, some dirt walls will not absorb the explosion even though they are not destroyed. This is experimental: we’ll see how this goes, it might need a bit of tweaking, but we’re tired of the massive erosion that happens to every map, every game.
    • More Heads
      6 new heads (3 for each gender) have been added; Gurren Lagann heads for everone sporting kamina glasses or anime avatars on the forums, messy red hair heads to service that niche, and sk8r boi/gurl heads for those who miss the bad old days.
    • More Killfeed Icons
      No more Keg causing “fall” icon! The drill and saw icons are stlil missing though..
    • Traps and buildings
      Traps and buildings should be a little more viable long-term, as platforms and wooden doors take less damage from swords, and trap blocks cannot be damaged by swords at all.
    • Optimisation
      The way the run flags for each script are calculated has been optimised so that the checks are only carried out a maximum of once per frame per blob. We’ll work more on optimising this as well, because there’s still overhead associated with checking all of them even when they aren’t needed.
    • Cost Tweak
      Bombs now cost 25c in CTF; an even 100 for 4. Mines are now 60c so they see more use. Burgers are now purchaseable from the quarters/inn/kitchen, and the cost of healing items has generally been decreased. Archers can now shoot burgers to make ranged support via healing more possible (it works with fish too, but they can be tricky to come by in some games).
    • Weight tweaks
      Corpses are now medium weight, so that lugging one around slows you down a little. Kegs are now heavy weight, so they slow you a lot.
    • Run Through Doors Exploit Fixed
      Self explanatory.
    • Fixed Smooth ShaderFirst change by our long time support guy Lucas/Furai - the smooth shader should now work properly for all resolutions instead of just the default!
    • No Light from Buildings
      This facilitates underground stealth bases more easily, and encourages lantern use.
    • Modding
      Joining modded servers has been made less “scary” and annoying - the warning window only shows up on your first day of play. Servers are also flagged as modded less frequently, most notably maps, mapcycles and config files wont trigger a server as modded. Script changes will trigger a server as modded, as will any loaded mods (naturally). Hopefully the increased ease of joining and increased exposure in general will help kick the modding scene into gear :^)
      Mods verified with and uploaded to the API should now Auto-Update, though I’ll leave it to Tom to explain the specifics in the thread as I’m not 100% clear on them.

I think that’s about it - quite a lot so there might be a few issues, but it should be fine for the weekend. Have fun!

Max

Edit by Tom: Server auto-updates explained here

Original DevBlog post.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Edit: More detailed version of this explanation in this thread - https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/mod-auto-updates.20001/

Mod auto-update system

So as of this update it is now possible to set your server/mods up to auto-update.

The first requirement is that mod developers must have registered and uploaded their mods to the Web API. Use this app (make sure you have the latest version if you've used it before) to do that: https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/kag-mod-manager.153/
    If you're a developer and trying to do this, make sure you tick the 'full'* box when you're registering/updating your mod.

Now, server owners. Lets say there's a mod that's been uploaded to the API which you'd like to setup to auto-update on your server.
    To do this, you just have to add a line to your mods.cfg. Up till now the lines in mods.cfg have just been the folder name that the mods are in. However, now you can add ' = dev:nameURL' to one of those lines (after the folder name), where dev is the mod's dev (either a username or devgroup) and nameURL is the mod's name URL field. Doing this will setup the mod that is identified with that dev:nameURL pair to auto-update, downloading into the folder specified.

Here's an example, based on Rayne's Islandrekt:
    "Islandrekt = rayne:islandrekt"

I suggest that for convenience that mod developers post their dev:nameURL identifiers in their respective forum threads, but anyone can look up these details (plus whether or not the mod is available for this auto-update process) via the mod manager app.

* Those tickboxes will be useful in the future, but for now the only one that's supported by the game/auto-updates is 'full'.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Very cool update.
    Will love to see how this turns out, especially with all the recent and slightly needed archer buffs.
    Also the keg thing might work, might be stupid. I dunno.
    Might add more later but I'm on a phone right now so I can't.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    bobotype likes this.
  4. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

I'm going to hate archers more and more... :F
    This is one of the best updates in the past few months, good job!

I luv it :heart:

Edit: shield is now useless, nerfed too much. Also kegs are too heavy and it's too easy to lose it. bombjumping with keg should be possible again :|

Btw. spectators cam fixes in the next update would be appreciated :]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  5. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Nice update as always ( Except some rare times ), but can't login to the master server :|

6. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

this looks good, we needed something like this for a long time

7. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

Very interesting,I think the shield and keg concept will force players to work together more.:B):

8. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I hate almost everything in this update besides the Heads and the bug fixes.

I feel like we are heading down a path where knights become way too weak. The path a certain type of "bobo" would like us heading down.

9. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

The burger shooting is hilarious and insane and I love it! This update is all around amazing! xD

Edit: GUESS I WONT BE TESTING IT TODAY WOOPS

Bleh, hardly any US servers filled today and the Official US TDM server is taken over by 3 jerks who kick anyone who joins.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

his suggestions were better than yours 9/10

101i, franek123, norill and 1 other person like this.
  11. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Still foaming in the mouth, of pleasure, when i see a new build; I'll post here my futile appreciations after checking it online!

Beef likes this.
  12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

You guys are the best. I'm looking forward to trying out the changes.

13. shield change was mostly addressing the issue of knight combat

14. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Sick update! I'm especially psyched about the keg terrain tweak, I really hate it when the terrain is just one big hole and it's hard to get anything done. Also the shield tweak is nice, as are the other features.
    Super excited for the Kamina head :kamina:

15. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I personally like some of the changes, keep up the good work devs!

Edit: Never mind, The weight changes are pretty bad. What's the point of making kegs more durable if you can't get them away from your base in the first place? (or get them anywhere for that matter)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Duplolas likes this.
  16. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Great update!

I love the erosion change - although I might actually miss how the really long games ended up looking like total wastelands, at least there will hopefully be more grass.

Wow, those are some serious keg changes. I'll tentatively welcome them, because I think kegs felt pretty much impossible to stop - they were kind of inevitable, and really annoying. Seems like it will be a lot more fun having kegs bounce all around and get carried and thrown by a bunch of people before blowing up!

Not sure about the bomb cost change, I like having plenty of bombs... and before, an even 100 gold could get you five bombs (one to carry). The mine cost decrease is good. It's like the knight's version of the bomb arrow (not as powerful though).

And holy shit, the shield arc was actually 220 degrees? Jesus. Thank god that's changed..
    (although 130 degrees seems kinda dinky, maybe this should have been done in steps?)

BURGERS!!! :food::food::food::food::food::food::food:
    (Now we just need Wisents on every map)

bobotype and norill like this.
  17. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

Best update ever, do approve.:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

:spam::food:

18. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I love cheap mines more than I dislike expensive bombs.
    Now is it just me or can enemies/other players grab kegs off your back without stunning you?
    Oh, and is archer knockback still going to launch a keg 300 yards?

19. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

:kamina::kamina::kamina::kamina:
    gg

JPD likes this.
  20. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Noburu and Auburn like this.