1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Build 1492 - Mechanisms and More!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Certain things already break underwater, like ladders and catapults/ballistas. I'd love to see this.

I do think, though, that stone doors should never break from water alone. It would break a lot of maps focused around water bases. Wood doors breaking is fine, though.

heX_ likes this.
  2. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Things to fix for next build:
    • Smaller bomb radius/ more drag / less return income or higher cost (You can literally stand on top of a tower, get kills, buy more bombs and repeat)
    • The diagonal shielding is either really shitty or bomb radius is just to large (I've experienced the most paper shielding with diagonal shielding than anything else. As much as it is used to increase skillcap, it's more frustrating than anything)
    • If you aren't going to fix builder code until Rayne comes back, please at least make gathering resources a lot faster. The builder shop buff was fantastic, but it's still very difficult to maintain forward buildings. I spent about 5 minutes setting up a forward base with a shop+tunnel+storage only for a few knights to come and blow it all to bits. Either make gathering resources faster, blocks more damage resistant, or builder the strongest class against enemy bases. At its current state, the knight can do the builders job better than it can. Literally the only advantage a builder has at this point is being the only class that can make shops.
    • You should be able to build on logs. I absolutely hate spending a long time spamming c just so that I can move some stupid ass logs out of my way in order to place a block. Wtf?
    • This is @Skinney 's idea, but he explained how the archer should have more options when fighting because in it's current state the best option is either spamming half shots or shotgun. There is simply no need for a fully charged shot. The solution is to make full shots do 1.5 hearts of damage so it won't necessarily 2 shot a knight, but it will make them want to be a bit more careful. After practicing archer for the last few weeks, I can agree that this is a well needed buff. You need to maintain great accuracy with an archer while being mobile enough not to get hit by any hazards that come your way. Not only that, but it struggles to compete with a knight who has a much greater amount of health and damage output.

king-george and Klokinator like this.
  3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I assume you mean "build overlaying/behind logs", rather than being able to place blocks/shops on the top surface of a log (hilarious as floating shops would be--just build and then remove the log afterwards! ::P:).
    I assume you'd have shotgun retain the 1 heart variable? Sounds good. Only issue being that, currently, arrow damage is based off-of arrow velocity; so you'd need to either have single (fully charged) arrows go a lot faster, or (if it's possible/workable/advisable?) have something along the lines of fully-charged arrows tagged by the engine and made to deal an extra 0.5 damage on top of whatever else they did.

TheDirtySwine likes this.
  4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I'm pretty sure shielding is just an arc. There is no "diagonal shielding", it's the same as any other shielding.

lol

Yeah I hate logs, something should be done about those

"no need for a fully charged shot"...arrow stun?
    "1.5 damage" Uhh, sounds awful imo. Who wants to be a builder when 2 arrows kill you?
    The frustrating thing about being an archer for me is that shooting people doesn't do any lasting damage because there are hearts flying everywhere and knights are always just healing. It can take a while to even hit knights, so when they can literally heal that damage back accidentally without even noticing by walking past a heart, that just makes me mad. Maybe archers should only drop 1/2 heart when they die, or no hearts at all.

Another thing is that shotgun is overpowered, especially against other archers. If there are archers on two sides of a battle, all of them are basically forced to play the shotgun whack-a-mole game until they can actually safely be out of cover to shoot at knights. It's just not fun imo.

CowboyDan likes this.
  5. TheDirtySwine

FBB: Yes lol you know what I meant ::P:

Tato: I agree with the fact that a knight can just heal to full health with a fucking grain or a fish. I got a knight all the way down to half a heart and he just so happened to step on a grain and instantaneously full healed. Such a frustrating game mechanic.

As for shotgun: I feel that it's the only way for archers to really compete with a charging group of knights. I often punish knights who leave themselves vulnerable. Shotgun is the strongest attack to really have knights back off. I personally think spamming half shots are more effective at taking out archers because archers don't have shields to protect them and only take two shots to kill.

General: Would it be a bad thing if builders had 4 hearts, archers had 3 and knights stayed the same? Bombs would still be really strong against all of these classes. Builders could use better survivability because they're shitty as it is. And knights wouldnt have a problem slicing through them anyway because of their strong damage output.

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes plox.

7. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I've always been for archers getting 3 hearts, but why bump builders to 4?
    Re: shotgun, it's not OP at all imo, should maybe even have slightly reduced charging time.
    Wood doors decaying in water sounds great, maybe even better than Geti's idea.

8. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I'd rather have builder hitting rewritten or buffed than more hearts.

9. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Just reduce knight explosion radius please. Swine obviously doesn't play archer.

Archer pussies are most effective when spamming full shots, not shotguns (2 of the arrows don't go anywhere + terrible accuracy) and not half/quater shots (unless they are directly below you I guess). If you buff the full shots, you buff the most annoying feature in the game: archers sitting in their nests, shooting arrow after arrow so no archer on the other team can have some fun.

Also, full arrows are effective elsewhere. You hold your button in for just one more millisecond and get a stun. Against knights, that gives you time to move to a better position, against builders, you have the time to combo into a second arrrow (stun lock) and against archers, you can combo into a half shot and gg.

Shotgun spamming is effective, but it is like the jab spamming of archery. Once you understand it, you can just dodge, and rush them down with half and quater shots. Most players who spam shotgun can't handel the pressure of being chased.

Also, please don't buff the health of archers, imagine if archers have even more of an easy game just full shot and shotgun spamming knights where even a slash won't kill them. Not fun for either party I must say.

But yes, reduce the fucking bomb radius, and the bomb arrow damage radius while you're there.

golemn likes this.
  10. TheDirtySwine

Mfw "Swine obviously doesn't play archer"

I've spent the last few weeks just practicing archer. Depending on your team shotgun is either really effective or half shots are the best option.

I'm suggesting a heart buff only if the archer got a buff on the full shot. That way you wouldn't see builders get instant killed by two shots and archers could still go down in two shots.

SirDangalang likes this.
  11. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Instead of being able to build over wood in an overlay, it should just push the wood out of the way by force when you lay a block, etc, on it. That or somehow crush it into wood mats, but a smaller number than what would be given if you use a Builder to cut at it. This way it'll kill off 2 birds with one stone. Give you wood without having to stop building on your base. Just have to first stop to cut the tree down.

Also for mechanisms, it really needs to be able to have lifts that allow you to move up and down, and possibly some sort of conveyor belt shit to pull say logs down a line that fall into a saw.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    TBA_LordKnight and PUNK123 like this.
  12. Shen2

Shen2 Drill Rusher

I wouldn't mine builders gettin more health but for the love god fix their attacks so they don't stick to me like glue as archer and ride me like a horse to the skies :QQ:

13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Wait, are we really bringing back the archer damage buffs arguments? Oh yes goody!

[​IMG]

Dargona1018 likes this.
  14. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

It's realistic: our pickaxes just get stuck in you when we hit you ::D:

I really don't see how a health buff for the builder can be justified though. For the archer, sure (2.5 would be best imo but 3 could work too)

15. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

simple - combine these and remove logs entirely. have trees dump all their wood precut, as if they fell into a saw

TBA_LordKnight likes this.
  16. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Then saw is useless and there is no more tactics in breaking / stealing enemy saws.

17. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

OR, give logs a purpose of existance and bring rafts back to the game!

18. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

[citation needed]

19. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Bison Rider Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I'd rather not have 1000 wood laying out on the battlefield at all times. Also, thatd be pretty op because im pretty sure knights chop trees faster than builders. thered just be way too much wood floating around

20. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

This sounds interesting. How were rafts made ingame?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.