1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Build 1500

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 27, 2015.

1. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I'm pretty sure they work fine against stone walls and such, do they not? That's their only real use at this point.

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well (procrastinationstudy breaks ftw), iirc there used to be a time when boulders would slice through towers like a hot knife through butter, irrespective of how many blocks they were made of (which always felt fair, seeing as using boulders in catas has always been... awkward at best).

So does this mean that the nerf to boulders for cqc has lead to an unintended nerf for cata+boulder combos? ::(:

I mean, maybe a nerfed boulder would be 'k if you could somehow pre-load boulders or craft them from the cata or something? It's just that, as I remember things, combat is generally too chaotic/fluid to ever be able to set up a cata+a workbench (in an area where you'll not be immediately rekt) and still be able to hit enemy towers.

SirDangalang likes this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah, it was always devastating vs towers but NOBODY used it. It could literally end games better than keg-catas could. Kinda stupid, really.

SirDangalang and blackjoker77777 like this.
  4. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Sorry but ive spend like 6 secs during the match with the risk of getting killed only to find where my ping was.
    2015-05-31_00002.jpg

Where is that star you'd mentioned, @Geti ?

5. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

its in the test build

6. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Perhaps having a catapult also work as a shop so you can buy wood/stone/bombs/boulders in that instantly load it into the catapult and in actuality it's not actually a boulder at all, but does more, wider damage than what the current, regular boulder does. Same for bombs, etc so that if any item gets nerfed and it actually fucks over the catapult as well, there'd be an option for fixing that.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 1, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 1, 2015 ---
    If I recall it'll be in/around the next update they do.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

"yay more item spam" - we'll see what we can do about boulders in catas etc, but for the moment I'm glad to not have archers "maining boulder" in TDM.

Next build cool changes:
    • partial materials back from breaking several blocks (doors, traps) (helps combat tunnellers and "derp" placements)
    • trap blocks work as doors for same-team players (fewer "fuck you builder this trap is cancer" team-traps)
    • water decays adjacent wood doors (except doors above, so you can have a door hatch facing down into water and it's safe) (can flood tunnelers)
    • fire spreads when a door hit with it dies (to prevent 1-hit-kill low health doors from not spreading fire) (can burn more doors in non-water tunneler susceptible maps)
    • traders aren't actual blobs any more so they're not in the way all the time in tdm
    • fixed missing ctf item timer at start of round (delays everyones initial batch of resources, but in a well-defined way) (via makmoud)
    • more love for the TDM scoreboard based on feedback here (it can keep improving, and you guys can also see and edit the code easily in TDM_Interface.as)
    • HOPEFULLY sandbox mode mechanisms stuff for building tdm maps, we're not sure if we're going to go for editor before or after this.
    Unfortunately I cant push any of this as TR changes have broken a bunch of interface code in KAG. It'd be possible to manually split out the changes for each version but without a lot of testing and love I dont want to risk it. Will aim for the end of the week on this one as I've got to work on TR as well.

8. BucketEmpty

BucketEmpty Horde Gibber

RIP archer + boulder in tdm, you took away a very "fun" element away from this game, this "balance fix" costed a bit more fun than I think KAG can spare at the moment.

Jus sayin :r_flex::potato::flex:

bru-jaz likes this.
  9. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Sorry, geti. But i don't think because some stupid builders or because a mistake of a good builder (because he had placed wrong a trapblock,etc or he was killed when making it) should be a reason to change how a mechanic of a block works.
    If you play as RED, bad placed BLUE trapblocks -or blue trapblocks that remains from a broken old trap late in the round- can be useful as you can pass through while BLUE cant. Many times my team can get advantage of rushing through a tunel made in an enemy trap because you can quickly avoid the enemy hiding or going through that path.
    If you make trapdoors as doors, that strategy wont happen and will make gameplay just "plainer?"( simpler but in a bad way).
    But i don't complain about this in particular. I am worried cause i think you and kag team -with good intention- are obeying people's change demands just because their reasons are
    1)that some features dull or delay the "linear" playthrough (rush, kill, win)
    or 2) 'cause noobs exists (i.e. noob unuseful builders).
    For 2) my answer is noobs will always exsists, some never will change and some of they will. Being in a good team its matter of luck (that's valid for youself too, because some days you just can play like shit :P ).

For 1) i have more deep toughts, that arent only about this game, but all the few games i've played with multiplayer in my life. I had never took the time to post it anywhere, so:
    For the games i've most remeber like counter-strike 1.6 and Mount&BladeWarband - I had always found two kind of players: Those who only want to play something over and over and over, getting fun on "skill playing", i think. This is: playing de_aztec 90% of the time in all the servers, and play just for aim, kill and avoid get killed. In M&B playing "arena" map over and over, disputing who's more skilled with the sword and hand to hand OVER AND OVER.
    And the second kind of player, wich really enjoy to exploit the game cababilities, be creative, searching for those features that are completely impredictable (That's why i find amazing the TR demo, it's really simple but some weird shit can happen :D )
    Im in the second group. Sincerely i cant enjoy TDM. I feel i get no award between matches , so i dont really care what will you change with that mode.
    Though i think myself as in the 2ยบ group, many times i play just straight forward, rushing, etc. But are those small shitty strategies that can go wrong, of course, that make those good memorable moments in KAG. Getting yourself into a crate and infiltrate :,( ; being killed and drop a mine that blow up your enemy; grabing a bomb in mid air and send it back to its owner ; defending your hall with a mounted bow :( , just to name a few ... Some of those are still in the game, some doesnt.

My point is, if you privilege the straight gameplay in CTF and Halls, in the long run, it will only make the game grey and insipid for people who, like me, enjoy to be creative and in the meantime kill some gals and steal flags.

Returning to the original quote, i think in three options for the new trapblock:
    1- Not changing the trapblock at all (easier one)!!!
    2- Making possible to get over by one way only (like Classic Bridge)
    3- Adding a new trapblock besides the actual one. As it will work as some kind of door, it should be more expensive than the "vainilla" one. (I would love this option most 'cause had been a long time since you've added new stuff-not talknig about tweaking or fixing)

I know the translation issue make even more difficult to understand what ive tried to state. Hope you know ive said so with all the love i have for KAG since the begining of it :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    tru0067, Klokinator and Blue_Tiger like this.
  10. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

ie trap block is now pointless? Please don't make this change!

11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Actually I've been saying for a long time that the main reason I stopped playing is that the wacky 'fun' elements are leaving faster than glacial ice. Rather than remove things like archer+boulders, I prefer it when even more unbalanced things are added. Knights with drills, archers with boulder, heck give builders/archers keg activation abilities, things like that. It's why I think my last favorite build was 1215 or so. I never wanted these balance changes, I just wanted bugs fixed :(

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Well, I'm pulled in about 5 directions guys - those that want a competitive game, those that want a sandbox, those that want a 1one-hit-kill fest, those that want role play, and those who want "engaging new content".

"I just wanted bugs fixed" - a lot of bugs are balance issues. In my eyes, the boulder damage has always been a bug.

The "fun" side of boulders comes at a cost of "un-fun" for people on the receiving end as well. Some take it better than others, but every week before the patch someone yelled FIX BOULDERS. I'd rather people have more of a back-and-forth ingame, rather than one-sided LOL OWNED enjoyment.

We've added a heap of new content with mechanisms recently, and boulders have been broken for years. They're still "viable" and you can still instakill with them, you just cant stand next to someone and tap C and get the kill (Looking at you @Hospitalizer). The majority of the main (ab)users of boulders in the AU scene have been saying "lol i wonder if boulders get fixed next build" since the beta launch, similar to all the ex-[!] boys water-spamming me in the early days of beta.

Am talking about the traps without any platforms, and just a bunch of trap blocks that let the enemy shark out of it, and dont let you out if you stomp in to clear them out.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think this is a really bad change to say it about. I understand what you and klokinator are saying when it comes to things like ""
    I don't think anyone loses anything from this except those who want to abuse a bad builder's handiwork as much as possible. The idiot builder who wants to build a huge trap still can. His team-mates can get out of the trap a little more easily. The enemies attacking it still fall in. They can still "shark" out of the trap pits as well, its just that enemies can now get into them. The one thing that's negatively affected is walls alternating trap block and wood spike; which is regretable, but that construction is less effective than the users would like, and I'm sure there'll be a creative replacement.

You might forget that I'm someone who plays this game too. The last few weeks I've seen enough of these terrible traps (and the abuse that comes out of them, often turning games around) that although I dont think this is by any means a "perfect" change, it's a piece of the game that I think needs change (and has needed change for a while, like the boulder).

Re: "bring back trap bridge" - i dont see how this would be much different of a change. You could get down through trap bridges in classic. Horizontal trap block usage is by far the minority. Feel free to convince me though, as I've said it's not an area I'm happy to leave unchanged but I'm not able to push anything out too soon anyway.

What exactly do you see as the point of the trap block, and how is it voided by team-mates being able to get through it?

Leaving this as it stands as I've got to go out, will be thinking and talking more later.

tru0067 and Dargona1018 like this.
  13. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Geti I have a sinus headache can you fix that for me? It hurts and my nose is all runny and all these bodily fluids are leaking from my nasal orifices and stuff. I mean it's so bad I can't breath. Like it only happened after you released this update too. I went on a trip to Cali and I read that you updated this and the next day all my sinuses and allergies go to shit.

It must be the pollen from your new home in not aussieland? Damn your poisonous pollen that kills everything. Australia is full of poison and Chobani. Fucking Chobani ruiner of everything. If I had to say anything it would be that I have not played KAG but my deeply ingrained prejudice for Chobani and my sinus pains automatically means that whatever menstrual cycle men get I'm on. So thanks a lot Geti because of you working and stuff I now have the pollen equivalent of PMS except through my nose. This is what happens when you eat Chobani Geti.

Also this build sounds good but I'd like it if we can have dinosaur mods as advertised. We can name him Getiosaurus Rex and he can be a herbivore that eats tofu burgers. The whole entire single player campaign can revolve around trying to capture and tame Getiosaurus Rex. You can make it into a dating sim and then have a bunch of MMs being the bad guy and cockblocking the player into not getting that fine Getiosaurus tail. You wouldn't even have to animate it I could just get a shitty picture of a long necked giraffe dinosaur thing with four legs and then cut and paste your hair on it like a toupee. Then we can have the fakerolling.as file to it and then it would be complete and the best dating sim ever. We can go on hummus runs and ride into the allergy sunset with pollen and stuff. So fuck Chobani and let's have a game of date the Getiosaurus and make love over a bed of tofu and hummus. Candle lit dinner Holmes with the kombucha and the tea. Man Geti and all his health vegetarian foods. Also Geti do you drink wine?

14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Okay, there is a big difference inherently from classic trap bridges and the trap blocks we've had for a long time in current kag.

Classic trap bridges were linked horizontally. A long unbroken line of them could be turned inert when an enemy stepped on them, leading to any allies on the bridge being dumped below. This made them a great tool for preventing enemies from crossing, but a double edged sword because someone who knew what they were doing could turn your team's bridges against you.
    Additionally, enemies could slash and break team bridges, or just slash them once to make them passable for the rest of their team without them collapsing.
    Finally, a player could press down to drop through a team bridge, something that did not exist with current kag trap blocks until very recently.

Now, trap blocks have their own uses as well. They were not linked, so an enemy can't use them offensively against your team by turning a whole row of them inert.
    However, trap blocks also could not be fallen through by allies, so they basically ended up being free stone doors for the enemy. Terrible.
    Additionally, trap blocks are made from stone which is hard to get and finite, while team bridges were made from wood which is unlimited.
    The best part about trap blocks though is they are damn near indestructible, giving your team a reliable bridge enemies can't collapse on you nor can they simply slash and destroy or slash and make passable for themselves!

But hell, let's talk about wooden bridges as they exist in current KAG too.
    Wooden bridges block characters and projectiles from passing through in one direction, and allow travel through the other three directions.
    They can be rotated.
    When placed normally, they can not be fallen through by pressing down.

I think trap blocks, team bridges, and rotatable bridges all have their place. They should all be in the current iteration of KAG. Bring back the way trap blocks used to function a few builds back, bring back team bridges exactly as they worked in classic, while also keeping rotatable wooden bridges. Trap blocks are great if you need a long bridge enemies always fall through. Team bridges are great if you need something quick and cheap to put up to get across a chasm while still being able to drop through and still letting enemies fall through.

Seriously, just bring them back. We miss them. They were great.

15. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

You hate Hospi since he reked u multiple times on aus :P

Still the boulders are very well balanced now.

I still see the trao blocks as doors leaning to the trouble causing side.

16. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

Yes pls, so much yes pls.

Miss trap bridges so much...also gives me something relatively useful to use excess wood on.

17. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

i think id made a mistake comparing to the "classic trapblock" . I meant one rotable trap block that can only be door-like for allies only through one direction to another, so it still must be right placed-. This would help for those moments when you or an ally fell into a team trap, pushing the builder to break a part of it to rescue the traped mate.

18. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

I'm so torn right now, for one I think that the new trap blocks will help but in another light it will do harm.

Pro+
    - can kill camping enemy's in your own trap that was disarmed

Con-
    -Will fall into own trap and be "trapped"
    -can't hide under enemy's trap blocks now
    -no longer build those mid air bridges that enemy's can't cross over

19. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Good good, now the "Trap Bridge" sprite.
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::blank::blank::blank:

20. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I don't really think the trapblock change is good either. I can definitely understand why it would be seen as necessary in pubs, but this also made it possible for teammates to fall into almost any decent trap as well. For example, I make a lot of traps like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now if someone on my team accidentally walks into that trap, they're stuck, and will probably slash all the platforms and break the trap to get out.

So now you've made the massive shitty traps less annoying, but made almost every other trap more annoying as well.

Also, trap blocks were a good way to make a wall easier to scale by only your team. Don't you see a lot of this kind of thing?
    [​IMG]
    That would probably still be possible if they acted as doors for your team, but I think it would also be a lot more frustrating.

I just don't think the positives outweigh the negatives with that change. Shitty traps are often still salvageable if you just add a door.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    bru-jaz, Dargona1018, kodysch and 2 others like this.