1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog BUILD 1537 - Quality of Life

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 6, 2015.

1. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

The problem about buffing the quick building/siege in mid is you double buff defensive building/siege. KAG isn't about building things that can't be broken anymore, gather had so many problems with that in the early builds. Builders being to powerful is a bad thing, honestly I prefer to see KAG with more knights then anything in a match. It's such stupid game play when most of the team is builders or archers, they need to stay as a support class. That doesn't mean they can't deliver the final bad ass blow or help set up perfect plays and have tons of fun while doing it. I guess I'm mostly trying to say it's good that builders don't get tons of success alone, they rely on other classes and other classes rely on them. Let me give you an easy less related example. If you over buffed a healer class in a game it would make playing a DPS class nearly pointless because you'd just out heal everything and carry because of it. Which means you wouldn't need a DPS class anymore, you could just get a party of healers and out heal everything you face.

Classic used to be more "builder master race" and there's a reason that concept didn't stick around. Another thing is in public matches there's not a lot of other builders helping you secure middle properly. In fact its normally just one of us with a fat amount of resources trying to do it all by ourselves. This leaves us to be the most important target for any good enemy vet knight or archer and that's why it seems hopeless at times to stay alive. You'd be surprised how op it is currently when you get at least three builders middle building well together with lots of resources when they're being defended.

I honestly like how a tunnel, or ballista, or fat ass wall in middle isn't always the answer. I mean sometimes you just gotta get right in the middle of the shit show and die over and over until your team gets you the one break away that allows you to build all over the enemy base and ruin everything with your team. Block the enemies from progressing while your whole team starts scaling there wall thanks to you. It's CO OP action, I honestly prefer these situations over separate lone wolf missions throughout the game till it ends. Also don't use ladders for offense builder, use upwards platforms. Just use drills if you want fast destruction as a builder, I think the builder destruction rate is more balanced then its ever been. We're builders not destroyers! Also how does a knight not rely on you for dealing with enemy buildings!? When I play I watch knights fight there way to a wall and sit there slashing stone blocks and doors till I come over and help them lol. Also I disagree about entombing honestly its to fucking easy already and way to hard to counter at times. Any more buffs to that and I might just cry haha. Although I don't understand what's not awesome about getting to the top of the enemies base, building a knight shop and smashing kegs down on opposition with your teammates. Also you complain about the power of kegs yet I think kegs are actually super easy to catch and knock away. Hell I've seen kegs get caught and used against the enemy plenty of times. That's one of the reasons I don't use them in most situations. If anything bomb arrows are something to whine about! I'm fine with how they are right now but holy shit they make kegs look like shit in most ways haha.

I hate how much Geti gets pressured into personal changes! I see lots of ways around most of the complaints I see on the forums just by using different tactics. Fix this, fix that when its not even broken. People just want the game more in there image instead of whats better for the majority of players and new comers.

Also sorry if you read this right away because I didn't proof read well at first haha.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

You make a good point, and it's hard to disagree. I guess it's just frustrating that builder has to be a class that is very spammy and requires a lot of death and spam over and over again to have an impact. I feel like an example that best describes the builder is like climbing a mountain one step at a time. Very long tedious process that requires patience. I liked what verra and rayne were doing with the builder recode. They fixed so many problems. I also like how builders can destroy doors faster than most classes now. I think it'd be cool if they could do that to all blocks. Do you have anything you would change?

Two builders in clan wars was enough to change the tide of battle that's for damn sure. It's probably the most difficult class considering you have to manage your resources while maintaining a good offense and defense. Overall it makes the game very infuriating for me at least, when I work really hard to get a good push only to have my shops/tunnels/siege destroyed. Maybe it's just something I gotta live with because it's part of the job

3. marufrozen

marufrozen Catapult Fodder

Why not just make trap blocks function like doors for allies and traps for enemies? Is there a limitation or was this option simply overlooked?

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That is literally what they do now.

There are one or two bugs in their operation (based on old "requirements" like unlocking trap blocks above them, and various sync problems that mean you sometimes dont collide even when they're "closed" and you aren't pressing towards them as an ally), but the intended behaviour is that they function as doors for allies (allowing passage if you press towards them), and traps for enemies (never colliding)

5. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

@Geti you can cast a surrender vote in spectator and it next maps :/

6. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I don't know if that was necessary to specify it RIGHT IN A PUBLIC PLACE because everyone will read this and spam surrender votes as spectator now.. At worse use IRC or send a PM to a tester next time for such things.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  7. PUNK123

1) i do not know who is a tester
    2) i did post it in irc :<
    3) i regret nothing

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  8. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

:bird::rekt::flex:

PUNK123 likes this.
  9. I don't like the trap change, also the fact that your teammates can "turn off" the trap blocks for you is awful (for obvious reason, fkn johny98).
    I really like mechanics and will try to put some singleplayer map together using them.

RadioActive, Mazey, johny98 and 2 others like this.
  10. i would prefer an actually useful teammate shielding. right now its so unreliable that its practically impossible to protect a builder (or archer) from an explosion. instead of rewarding team play it punches your face and then laughs about it every time a random bomb explodes your builder

11. PUNK123

All i want is drowning nerfed by afew seconds. I understand wood doors being decayed(though i really dislike it) and i feel like if you want to encourage entombing with sponges you should give alittle more time under water(on big ocean maps this would be impossible and on others very difficult). This part is easily countered by an enemy builder with a brain(as underwater wood doors is nerfed to hell)so i hope you can atleast consider this.

SirDangalang, Blue_Tiger and 8x like this.
  12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

IMO, revert the trapblocks, because teammates opening them for you sucks hard (like Ej said). Or you could make them like classic bridges, basically what they are now but without the possibility of fucking over your teammates.
    No hate Geti, you're doing a great job still updating KAG

I trying to do some parkour with mechanisms and had a problem. If you're working on a mechanisms map and you're having problems with the max wire length, use emitters and receivers
    no emitters/receivers screen-15-07-09-15-53-43.png vs emitters/receivers screen-15-07-09-15-54-00.png
    Also saving a map doesn't save rotated lamps Skinney.

13. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

There's also the issue shitters are falling in team saw traps and so disabling it, which is pure cancer.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  14. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Thanks, will fix.

Mazey and PUNK123 like this.
  15. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

No you are not, i have this bug too :/

bru-jaz likes this.
  16. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Rage mode on, please understand this post is pretty builder-sided and it's the class I play mostly.

The more I play this build the more I recognize the builders have been nerfed in general mainly because of the water changes from both this and the previous update (sorry didn't say a thing during the test period). No matter how builders are thought to be, on the battlefield you can't but hide: exaggerating a bit, this has turned more a game of knights only, except for maps with lots of paths and no deep waters. I should have some chances to do something by my own if I'm experienced, or if I don't want to play teamwork.

As I said, the good changes are good, however, I feel that those builders that know what has to be done are frustrated at the moment, they're tactics have been capped in several builds to the present: 1 bomb arrow or 1 mine can destroy 5 minutes of work, 1 single bomb can destroy 2 normal shops, 400 wood. If tunneling is not fun, slash spam isn't, arrow spam isn't, bombjump with kegs isn't, traps under teleporters aren't, water ammo isn't, stomp taking 2 hearts of damage isn't, shield surfing isn't... etc.

I know some of the changes are more silent than the traps and doors ones, but a bit more of love could be put in for the builders. Resupplies could give you 100/30 directly with no need to empty your backpack in order not to lose materials or getting hit by a bomb arrow shouldn't remove the block you selected from your hands.

bru-jaz, norill, Blue_Tiger and 2 others like this.
  17. PUNK123

I would like to see a button when you open up the inventory that allows you to decide whether to attack backwall or blocks first. Would help with attacking blocks with ladders in them aswell. The only issue would be if some shitter wants to strip backwall off of doors or platforms

18. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

While we're at it, are you aware that sometimes it won't let builders place a block above them and goes immediately to the "red block can't build here" even tho you should be able to build on it just fine? This happens most often when I'm scaling enemy buildings and need to block off a door directly above me. It will only let me place blocks below me and from that point I need to place them from bottom to top.

19. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Sponges are not very useful in "oceans" haha ^^

Besides, what do you improve them? The sponge is an item that I see rarely used. And I think that's because of its small amount of water it can absorb :/

it's pity :/ it was just that I found hard to do (in builder) and I found fun ...
    finally, I think keep the old hitbox of the boulder, but only 2 cores removed or something like that, would have been a better idea.

20. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Sponges aren't very useful because of
    -the way water respawns
    -you cant put sponge in inventory
    -you cant take them through tp