1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 200 released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Don't see the problem with gliding, it's fun and I've never had a problem as an archer attacking.

Another interesting thing I've found with it is it means knights can catapult farther, so where a knight can get doesn't necessarily mean a builder can, a lot of people don't consider this and keep their cata where it is instead of moving it up to send a builder as well.

After actually sitting down and playing a few rounds I've noticed:
    1)I lag like crazy now. I pretty much never lagged before unless it was server lag and consistently had 166 ping on almost all European servers (live in Florida, US), 200 on a few still no lag, no lag on Russian servers [g.test and 2 others], same on the PL servers (Solar, etc). All of a sudden on any server now including US servers I lag so hard it's ridiculous, I can't connect to half of them because I get kicked before I can spawn and check my ping (Kicked for high ping), the rest I lag on, found one I didn't really lag on AS much, but it still gave me spikes. Not sure if all this lag is server side or what but I've also noticed increase ping on my side (and not so much from others) so have no idea what to think

2)When I was able to actually get into a server that didn't lag as much, the knight combat was mostly just annoying, isn't as fun and engaging as it previously was, perhaps some sync problems I couldn't tell or the other person lagging, but the combat was mostly just very wtf.

I'm liking a lot of these changes coming build to build, but some of the stuff seems a bit too strange.

Also, was just curious, how are the heads working? It looks like I'm a builder when I'm a knight and I choose one of the 'builder' heads (looks like the default builder was skinned for them), for example the top hat.

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just remember this is Alpha, not Beta. Stuff can and will change and break. Surely MM and Geti will take the constrctive criticism into account.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Noburu you are like my favourite player.

We'll stop tweaking balance when KAG goes final version - when it's "done". We'll likely stop playing with combat mechanics in a few months as we start adding classes and skills. This is an alpha version of a game. If you've come from mainstream gaming you might be used to everything staying just the way you like it from patch 000301 to patch 10321B. While we're developing the game we're going to make changes to try things out, see if we want to keep them or not. Get used to it or come back in 6 months.

Would probably help if I'd ever played TF2 with hats. I just laugh along with "hat fortress two harharhar" because everyone says it always, but I don't know how their system works thus you referencing it three pages ago didn't come to mind.

However: Seems reasonable. I want to change how customisation happens over the next few builds anyway - the GUI needs a complete overhaul (the menu as is sucks, we know) and customisation needs to happen out of game as part of a new player menu (clantag, head (per class), control system, perhaps smileys config) and that'd be loaded from server as soon as you log in - which would happen as soon as you started the game ideally (login or play offline option).

Re: Bridges are ghey remove going down - that removes doing up and down through towers and would make them one way. We should really just separate trap blocks that fall out from under enemies and bridges. Long story short bridges are staying as two way platforms because I like them this way. You're free to dislike them though, doesn't really bother me.

Re: Clashes are stupid - yeah perhaps. We'll see if we can tweak them into something more playable/less buggy as when they do work they make combat a lot more balanced - yes this is partly due to it being a crapload harder to kill 5 guys in a row by combo slashing as they try to clusterfuck you (hyerk hyerk hyerk psh psh yeeeargh!) because someone jabbing blocks your slash but we can very easily take that little bit out leaving you with the ability to slash and but jab-jab stalemates still (which I like - it's not as lag dependent if you're clashing solidly). We can try taking them out happily if that fails but I'm keen to try it as a mechanic.

Re: Gliding?! I really like gliding for the knights and afaik so does Michal. It gives them a different kind of mobility compared with the archer - downward mobility. We're all about situational buffs between those classes so I'm happy with it and want it to stay. The fact that you _can_ catch an archer is great imo. Sucks to be fighting the ranged class that fires, backsteps, fires, backsteps, fires etc etc etc if you can't eventually corner them if you block all the arrows.

Re: LAG LAG OH GOD and RAM USAGE BURNING UP SEND HELP ALL RAM GONE and EVERYTHING SYNCS STUPIDLY AND BAD DELTAS AND ODD FREEZUPS yeah I've noticed and we'll be looking into it tonight (or I'll be whipping Michal to, could go either way). Seems like tonight is going to be boring boring hotfix night not work on zombies awesome time night. Greeeaaaat...

Jackard and Noburu like this.
  4. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

D:

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

D: at which one? Noburu being cool or zombies being delayed because of hotfixes?

Asterix likes this.
  6. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Oopsies.

7. Geti

I see. Whatever I'll get on IRC and we can all have a good old chat about what you hate and why before MM wakes up. Anyone keen for a discussion jump on #kag on irc.quakenet.org

8. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

That does it! Bootin up KAG the moment i get back home! :D

9. Arrunas

Arrunas Shopkeep Stealer

This is quite possibly the most realistic depiction of knight combat within this game that i have seen on this forum. Just reading it i can hear the sounds completely clearly :P

Also regarding some of the comments in this thread, I love the gliding! i thought it was an awesome mechanic and just little enough to give the knights a little extra in combat without op'ing them too much.

Some mention above where knights can cata a little further than builders, I think that this is awesome as it adds a small layer of desperation to a particular attack, a knight is in a catapault and lands on the roof of an enemy base whereas the builder hits and slides down the outer wall. Theres a moment of "OH S**!" followed by some frantic defending/holding the roof whilst the builder ladders his way up, (or more often gets killed).

looking forward to zombies too!

10. Noburu

Then you should enjoy this: http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/co-ordinated-knight-raid-unstoppable.1314/page-3#post-24901

11. Arrunas

Arrunas Shopkeep Stealer

Yup :P done that and had it happen to me, awesome either way.

12. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Yes if nothing else, take away clash on slash by them jabbing, nothing more annoying than to time up a perfect slash only for them to spam mouse to stop it. How could a jab theoretically block a slash anyway? It's like an overhead arc, a thrust forward wouldn't protect your head nor would it have the power to hit the slash back enough for a single clash.

I liked dwatring's idea somewhat, shield up causes the slasher to be stunned, but then that's a little easy way to avoid slashing isn't it?

Noburu likes this.
  13. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

In my own lazy way (read: no fraps) to add credibility to Jackard's claim on the other thread -> You can (and I have several times) been hurt/killed by moving horizontally on spikes.

I can't remember the circumstances of all of them; but they may have been when you run into a wall - maybe running into a wall causes your body to do a small bounce now?

14. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

I noticed once trying to pick up items in spikes, and dying.

15. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yeah, that has happened to me.. I had just bought 180 arrows and was going to sit on a tree the whole day 3;

16. Noburu

Ive tried to reproduce it with no luck earlier in an empty server using free build. I didnt have any luck. Now spikes ON a wall (not the floor) do hurt you if you walk into them.

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I don't think you should cater to what your fanbase says if it conflicts with what you wanna do with your own game, but I think its unfair that you think we want everything to stay the same. Most of us suggesting changes to this new system were suggesting changes b190 as well.

Valkyrie and Noburu like this.
  18. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

Yessss. I suggested this a while back, in some form or another, but was told by Contrary >:( that it was clearly possible when you play single player without lag. An actual stun would be awesome.

Wyeth likes this.
  19. Chiguireitor

Chiguireitor Shopkeep Stealer

Just to chime in... i feel that strength on numbers is exactly the realistic setting of a knight army... not the other way

20. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I'm sorry, but, it's a game.