1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2118 - Stability, Official Modded Server, TDM Maps and More

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Which new TDM map is your favourite?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2017.
  1. Dichotomy

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Craggy Outlook

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Pressure Cooker

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I don't think anything changed, I meant it may have simply set that option to a default upon updating. It probably doesn't need any fixing, because we just have to change the setting back to what it was

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

A relatively simple "no more respawns" would appeal to the Classic in me, but if things dragged on then there's a risk of players leaving bc sick of waiting for a finish.

If there was a way to clearly communicate a shift in rules (say, big red text across the screen, if a more elegant solution eludes?), a change from "bring enemy flag home to capture" to "grab enemy flag to capture" could function as an effective foreshortening mechanic. If all you have to do is penetrate their base and touch the flag it would tend to award the more aggressive team with a win as well as bring those funny "we exchanged flags" stand-offs to an okayish tie.

One could even get creative and have the game switch to tickets while awarding bonus tickets for flags captured. Probably prone to suffer from the "bored-->leaves" issue like the first option, but maybe not as much as one would think?

Or, just to throw it out there, one could get really creative and combine the previous two options into a single, glorious, bloodbath-inducing sudden death mode! :skull:

Or not. Just exercising my lack-of-caffeine induced inspiration powers. :3

franek123 likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

While we are throwing out our own genuis suggestions, I want a vote to skip buildtime. Plebs dont want to wait 180 seconds to attack, and they certainly do not universally want to have to go against megafortresses every single respawn. Give us the chance to have some quicker games plox, allow us to vote to skip buildtime.

Osmal and Blue_Tiger like this.
  4. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Like going knight and raping entire noob enemy team wasn't easy enough already.

Magmus likes this.
  5. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

if you want faster games, it all depends on where the flag is located on the map.. most new maps have some problems with the flag(s) location on the map. so it can take hours for 1 game.

6. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

We had no build time once. That didn't end well (WAR mode).

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  7. Potatobird

Yeah, those maps where the tent is like 10 blocks away from the flag are torture... and in 20 person games, the knights never stop coming. Maybe respawn times should be proportional to how far the flags are from the tent.

8. franek123

Just fix flags it's easier. I don't have time right now but soon I'll try write about each map problems (or just fix them maybe)

Fuzzle likes this.
  9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Implying that wouldnt happen after 180 seconds. It would also, hopefully, require a popular vote of both teams(so players have to be fine with it).
    There's a map area to suggest fixes for some maps. That is irrelevant to players being able to start games earlier than 180 seconds.
    In war you had a shitton of other things, that very well couldve made their own problems with the mode.

Mazey likes this.
  10. franek123

Yes. Buildings actually do shit and prevent single knight from taking 2 flags in 2 min.

11. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

What is ticket ctf? Isn't it where your team has a certain amount of respawns or 'tickets' and once they're all used it's game over?

12. Potatobird

Not exactly, when your team runs out of tickets deaths are permanent - the game isn't over until one team falls or loses their flags. This can lead to really fun and suspenseful last stands, or it can lead to scaredy-cat campfests.

FuzzyBlueBaron and epsilon like this.
  13. franek123

Thats why we need time when you cant lose tickets so there's no campfest but we need it after timer is out to prevent stalemates and get these fun laststands again.

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Actually, to revisit this suggestion with some further thoughts:
    1. the ability to regain tickets via flags could lead to exciting moments of "we're at zero tickets and it's 1v3---wait! no! the 1 just got a flag and suddenly their whole team can rejoin the game! very comeback! such excite!" the possibility of which could definitely help make watching the end of a match more engaging;
    2. a extended campfest (which will lead to people leaving bc bored) could be avoided by limiting the sudden death period to 5 minutes;
    3. if 5 minutes is too long to wait on a given map then there's always the option to vote for a tie.
    All this could be greatly enhanced by implementing that "touch flag to capture" mechanic I mentioned earlier, but really even without that (which I can see you getting "ehh" about bc rule change mid-game) it might be enough to help un-stale a goodly portion of matches.

15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I would personally vote for a tie anytime if I'd have to wait. Sudden death is a horrible concept.
    While at it, I'd like to see a zone-control gamemode like TTH spun off directly from CTF.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Noburu likes this.
  16. franek123

Don't you love that feeling when you're the only one left alive and fight whole enemy team till the end? It's damn intense imo. Another option for making stalemate feel less unsatisfying is to make 2 best players represent their team in duel.

Eluded likes this.
  17. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

There's nothing special about it. I'd much rather commit suicide and play another game on a full server.

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

Which is precisely why the voting element is just so crucial. Some people love those end situations, others like yourself are more of the "meh" persuasion. Each to their own! ::):

franek123 likes this.
  19. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

It's much more fun for everyone to have everyone play. Currently, votes are a last resort method that won't make anyone cheer. The outcome will either leave the individuals dissatisfied or less dissatisfied. Votes should be avoided. I like the ticket concept, but I'd rather see the game end when there's no tickets left.

20. franek123

Isn't it still better than what we have now? Infinitie stalemates that usually end with vote that just skips map without making anyone win. People would have a chance to pick a winner by playing in sudden death mode but if they dont want to, just skip the map like usual. One thing that is needed for sudden death not to be annoying is make it emergency option, so we need timer before it to be really long.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.