1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2146 - Siege Changes, Fixes and Improvements for Modding

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Mar 3, 2017.

?

Priority for Next Fortnight

Poll closed Mar 15, 2017.
  1. More Mods for modded server

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. File Loading Changes

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. More Maps

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Pixel Offset Fixes

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  5. Modded Server in More Regions

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. platy1knight

platy1knight Haxor Tester

Agree with Ej , Stunned frame bug is one of the biggest bugs and the one that costs most trouble (tdm specially)

Biurza likes this.
  2. The_Osz

The_Osz Haxor

It's annoying as builder too. Whenever i see an enemy builder having the Stunned frame bug, i can't pickaxe him. So then he's basically free to do whatever he wants, unless he gets spiked or killed by a knight or archer.

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I second the removal of 4 rivers

Fuzzle likes this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly, no idea. It's been around for a very long time and I've had a look at fixing it more than once with no luck. MM wrote it off as unfixable/"cursed" shortly after steam launch. I'll see about pushing it back up the list though.
    Yeah I don't have a problem with that.

5. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I've noticed weird things with the builder but can't tell since which build this happens. First, you can somehow lay doors on the space you occupy (2x2 tiles), it's quite awkward as I was used to take that space as a red-area for laying blocks easily around my character. Secondly, somehow and can't understand exactly why this happens, when changing fast between blocks and laying the new one selected fast, it places the previous one. I had to adapt to this new pace, as I was placing stone blocks constantly everywhere. Don't know if somebody else suffered from this.

6. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

As an answer to the second issue: Changing blocks is handled on the server-side (most Builder code is). It happens as a result of latency: The server has to be notified before the 'build block' is switched. This isn't an optimal solution (I've fixed it before).

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For the first one, it's likely that latency also the culprit? ie you place the block, then move into the space? Or are you placing blocks in the 2x2 space you stand in while you're standing still? There's some bonus ambiguity here because you'll usually be occupying a 3x2 or 3x3 area of tiles, not just a 2x2 since you dont move "on the grid" and can overlap partial tiles.

Fuzzle basically covered "why" for the placing a previously-selected block - changing things client-side would actually be better but it's all handled through the existing grid menu command-based behaviour, which requires a bounce off the server; it's one of those legacy things that requires quite a bit of working backwards to fix (KAG is riddled with these things, honestly). I suffer it regularly though as a laggy australian.

8. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Also a recent (maybe semi-related) development is constant phasing into the ground. Going through blocks if the server is lagging has always been a possibility, but this seems like a slightly different issue. For one, it happens basically every time you jump or land, but you don't actually go through the blocks. It just sort of rubberbands you around and makes it incredibly annoying to move around.

Blue_Tiger, ParaLogia and epsilon like this.
  9. Geti

This has not been my recent experience at all - can you give more info? Are you on a close server, how's your framerate, is your net graph stable, is it happening to other people on the server, does it happen in sandbox or only online, etc.
    The relevant change for this was over 3 months ago.

10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yeah I think it does happen simultaneously with other people on the server, but the servers aren't like that all the time. It's more like the server decides to enter quicksand mode for a little while, everyone sticks to the ground until it stops, and then things go back to normal. This can happen several times a round. Doesn't affect my framerate, but I'll look at the net graph next time it happens. I haven't seen it in singleplayer

11. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I've noticed this happening too. Initially, I thought it was only occurring on servers which I have high ping on but it occasionally happens to me on AUS servers too (with 33 ping). It's never happened right after a match has been reset iirc so that might give you a hint towards the issue.

Another thing I've noticed for a very long time is that you seem to get stunned for much longer than usual if you get fall stunned while having spawn immunity. I'm not sure if this is intended and I cannot see why it would.

12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Aye my first isssue depends on movement, but it doesn't need much to happen.

Edit: it happens when you try to kay a block and you're not aligned with the grid:
    test_001.gif

You can imagine, running away from a knight, lay a dor on my back to block him, but I push him towards me instead.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. Geti

This in particular is exacerbated by ping to the server and clientside physics, but I get what you mean. I'll have a look at it today.

14. The_Osz

The_Osz Haxor

Talking about doors...

The double door glitch. If 2 people place a red and a blue door at the same time in 1 block,then sometimes there will be 2 doors in that block.

Sometimes even happens with a door and a stoneblock. (Looks hilarious lol, you can only see that stone block when you open the door.)

Don't really think this is fixable due server ping and stuff...

Oh well I'm just a brainless rat anyway :builder:

Magmus likes this.
  15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I sent this to @Geti:
    Semi-fix for 8x's issue. It's still possible to build on yourself. The modification makes building on yourself consistent with building on other entities (if a collision box overlaps the center of a tile it's blocked). I tested the correct behaviour and I don't think it feels right (full fix, same Gist).
    @8x, what would you prefer?
    1. No building inside a tile with centrum overlapped by an entity:
      actual.gif
    2. No building inside a tile overlapped by an entity:
      fixed1.gif

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Blue_Tiger likes this.
  16. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

The whole quicksand thing happens when the server experiences a lot of strain. Like when you see bombs going off late, falling into the ground, etc. The quicksand just happens a lot earlier. It has no effect on framerate and ping is usually fine.

It happens a lot on Eluded's chicken wars (mod where you have to hatch 150 chickens to win) so spamming blobs will be a good way to see it happening.

Vamist likes this.
  17. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Another annoying bug (?) related to doors and builders is that builder's pickaxe prioritise friendly closed door over enemy open door. Seems small but it's really frustrating when you end up letting enemy knights coz you wanted to replace enemy door with yours. Is there anyway to fix it or is it deeply settled in shit builder code?

Magmus, Blue_Tiger and The_Osz like this.
  18. 8x

I can't imagine how the 2 fixes would play out ingame @Fuzzle , and it's not about my preferences :> I would rather have it how it was some builds ago (sorry i can't tell since when this happens), a way with which I was more comfortable with. I mean, I've got to adapt myself dozens of times, if the issue is important enough to require a proper solution it's not because it bothers me.