1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 274 released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Oh god, I can deal with climbing, especially with the reduced squeezing, but the spikes doing damage in the air I cant handle :(

Also spikes do not work on my Unlimited server on walls or floors (havent tested ceiling).

2. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

They don't work if attached to a solid block, already tested Noburu.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah hotfix inbound as soon as MM's up. No idea why spikes broke, and I'm personally unhappy with the elevator jumping glitch.

Noburu and Miczu like this.
  4. Noburu

Me too, but I can deal with it as long as squeezing is fixed.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Thoughts after finally playing this:

It's terrible what the heck.
    Lag and desync is worse than ever, seriously it's terrible, we're on mumble and were just WTFing as we would be able to hit each other from 5 tiles away, shield bashing rarely connects, full slash can instantly kill someone shielded, slashing can hit people in many areas, it's just so weird overall and the changes are... uggh.

Was this really worth it for fixing squeezing? The elevator or 'only jumping 4 tiles in one direction' is hella worse too, squeezing, at least both sides could do it, this crap here that we have now is basically red wins, the game. You can easily have admins police people squeezing, it's an obvious glitch. How do you tell everyone they're not allowed to climb areas that are 4 tall? It's hella easier for newbies to accidentally do and means that it's alot harder to call out exploiters from newbies accidentally doing something.

Overall, being able to just play 265 still as the rest of the people feel free to move up to 274 would be very nice, in the future if we could simply have a way to play the older versions still, that would be very nice please, even if they aren't supported in any way, being able to play on them when a lot of updates come out to the full version just as with bugs that are potentially gamebreaking, it can be well... too much.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon, but just saying, it can get a bit... well, hectic that a lot of bugfixes need bugfixes, that's not a problem, or not the problem anyway, just that a little testing if possible beforehand might fix that the new bugged version is now the 'real' version meaning that while these new bugs are introduced the game is unplayable. I don't think anyone is in such a rush to play this new fixed version that they wouldn't appreciate it simply being tested out on test build first, maybe this could all be solved by opening threads being postable on the test version and dropping test builds before things like this. Maybe encourage a few people to try and start up test version servers too would be a good idea, at least 2-3 being up would be good for this.

As far as vaulting, squeezing, elevators and everything else goes. It seems that all of these fixes stem from changing some form of physics one way or the other don't they? I forget, what was wrong before squeezing to get squeezing in? Was it the change to notches being very difficult? Because before that, everything was pretty copasetic in that department, but my memory is probably a little rusty and there some hidden little annoyance. In any case, what is the intention with all the vaulting nonsense and what is the actual idea that is going to happen?
    I personally enjoyed when you could technically vault up 4 high with certain methods (vaulting is still around in some form but not all like running into a wall for example), full slashing up walls was pretty cool and hard to do, I saw it akin to sticking your sword in the wall to help you up or digging your shield into the wall (For dirt). Standing in notches to help a dude up a 4tall segment of wall was also cool as hell, being able to properly vault a 5 blocker was cool if you were vaulting and full slash comboing. change to this was notching being removed and characters being forced into a 2x2, no smaller, this was annoying because tunnels were so big and notching was so cumbersome, it seemed a lot more 'realistic' and a lot less floaty and KAG/gamelike, change to that was what ended up with squeezing, all was good except squeezing, change to that ended up with elevators which is annoying because of the one side climbing deal but other than that, at least squeezing was fixed, we still had notches, slash climbing is gone though, as is floor-4-tall climbing.

e:I'm aware that my posts in build threads have obviously started to seem more and more angry, but seriously it's a problem that you see often with indie devs and problems that I see sadly handled much better by other individuals, it's simply a matter of quality assurance.

Noburu, Valkyrie, Wolffkran and 5 others like this.
  6. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

Fix the custom heads not showing up when joining a server until your first death, while you're at it.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@ilaks It's been on the list for a while now, not much more I can do as I've got sprites to finish.

@blue: as far as weird glitches are concerned, most of them come from having two systems not designed to interact with each other trying to interact with each other - the old and new engine code. The physics for the new entities are distinct from the old runner physics, both of which currently have to be applied to players to make the game world work. Once we've fully ported the players to the new system some of the weirdness should depart.
    I'll pester MM to run testing sessions before releasing, but it does slow the whole process down, which we can only afford so much at the moment - We've got a semi-deadline hanging over our heads for a few things.

FliesLikeABrick and Noburu like this.
  8. BlueLuigi

Okay wasn't aware of the deadline, makes sense if it's a rush

9. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

If I don't get zombies soon i think i'll turn into a zombie.

10. Noburu

I think I know what this pertains to but I will keep my mouth shut :D I do agree though if possible slower releases (with testing) are better .

That said I still love you and MM (no homo) and this game!

FliesLikeABrick and kiro like this.
  11. BlueLuigi

I assume when they get back on schedule then they'll do such a thing as I think even MM realizes with these last few releases it's been a bit well, heh :)

12. MooCowMan

MooCowMan Shopkeep Stealer

I'm not exactly a pro at this, but it looks as if the collision zone for spikes was moved. Seems to have been moved to the block behind wherever they are facing. ie. Have to be in the block below the spike to take damage, or the block above (if on the ceiling).

13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Can we just have an old build, like 190 or something, on the side? I'm willing to buy another gold membership to play an older version of the game.

Rayne, Neat and Noburu like this.
  14. Geti

Not sure if Michal's been keeping hard-copies of the installers. If so and they're compatible with the masterserver we could release an old build with autoupdate off I guess.

Monsteri, Valkyrie, Pizza and 3 others like this.
  15. Geti

Apparently not, if anyone else has it feel free to distribute with a clear disclaimer that it's an old build, turn autoupdate off by deleting the entries in App/autoupdate.cfg (if that's the right filename).

16. BlueLuigi

Ooh nice, I've been sent build 40, and I might have some other older builds. I'm guessing we wouldn't be able to host a server though without having that version as well?

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

We should do like a history tour. Every week play a different old build just to be like "woah remember these wacky times". We could do 3 bomb knight, infinite ammo cata, contrails (the original squeezing), and instakill archer and all that stuff. I have some builds on my other compy I think.

In the meantime here's Build 24.

Fellere825, trelawney and Noburu like this.
  18. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Oh man, nostalgic.

ooh man.PNG

If anyone's got build 57, I think that would be the ideal build to play on, as it has some of the important stuff but is still ''old''.
    Then again this would be very interesting.

19. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

build 90 would be my favourite.

20. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I put old installers on mediafire, you could search there. Build 24 is there somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.