1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 370 Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bookmark

Bookmark Haxor

Don't worry, it's a "feature".
    I wouldn't mind the new counter if it were implemented for ONLY the resource gathering/adding part. It's pretty difficult to count how much stone you have left and on-fly-calculation isn't viable when you have a few knights chasing you. Another problem also caused by the counter deals with bombs and arrows; when I'm on the battlefield, I want to know how many bombs and arrows I'm carrying at that exact moment.
    I hate running to a group of enemies only to realize that I have [1] -1 bombs left.

If anything, keep this an option to players/server admins. If it must stay, make it more responsive (starts counting down right away, rather than the ~2 second wait). Either one would solve our problems.

Cirom and Beelzebub like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'll get onto making the resource counter update more quickly soon (ie drastically reducing the delay on the drain). I'll probably also add a client option to completely remove the counters and just have the box flash green or red for those who really really like to-the-frame accurate counters, but I like to review how much I've lost from how much I used to have. I'll make it just display the more up to date number though, seems everyone is OH SO OPPOSED TO THAT.

I added the count down because I was fixing bugs where the counters weren't actually receiving all the changes, they were just displaying the most recent one (-50) on suicide, where you actually lost more coins than that, and it seemed more intuitive after about an hour straight of testing them and finding all the edge cases in the code where they were still getting hard-set. Could be one of those things where you become blind to changes after focussing on one thing for too long.

I've removed cc_valign from config.gm for the next build. Would've done it a build or 2 ago if I new it was there, pretty sure the default for the chat is the top now anyway.

I'll consider removing the arrow damage on shops - personally I feel that archers shouldn't be useful for destroying buildings because they're shooting arrows ffs.

We can drop the pitch change on some sounds (like the wilhelm)

frayser, ilaks, Rayne and 7 others like this.
  3. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Is the resource counter SERIOUSLY that hard for you guys to figure out? Notice that little + or - then a number next to whatever you pick up, drop, or use? Yeah, that's what you have. FFS.

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

We know what it is.

We don't want to have to count.
    We don't want to have to WAIT for it to go from + to the white to USE it.

Reading is power.

Contrary and Smokeybacon like this.
  5. thebonesauce

No, I can understand that you don't wanna read. Dude up top is like, "THIS SUCKS CUZ I CAN'T TELL IF I USED ALL MY BOMBS OR NOT TIL 5 MINS AFTER." Like, really?

6. BlueLuigi

The real people bitching are that they pick up a bomb and can't use it until the numbers decide to align.

I'm assuming that MM set 2 variables to fix the "OVERBUY" option, please set where we take things like bombs from the total or something cause yeah :(

Contrary likes this.
  7. thebonesauce

Ah, makes sense. I haven't really had any issues yet, but I don't pick up a bomb and use it immediately after. So that would explain it.

8. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

wait you can't even USE a bomb you picked up until the counter finishes?
    That's probably a bug, but come to think of it, this whole counter debacle could be an inadvertent precursor to an inventory system. On the other hand, you don't have to put a bomb in your figurative backpack to then take it back out and light it. Picked up materials might require some sort of symbolic processing before regurgitation as blocks, but then that small interval would rarely change anything.

9. Krono

Krono Drill Rusher

But you're missing the point. It's not just about what YOU do, and what YOU would most likely do. In the midst of battle, after somehow shaking off one or 2 knights and one of the drops their remaining bombs, I'd like to know then and there, at the precise moment I pick them up, how many do I have at hand, so in case there's still 6 more bloodthirsty knights in front of me, I can calculate then if I can take them all out, run away or go suicide bomb.

While I'm not dismissing YOUR opinion, I wouldn't like it if you tried to void MINE or anyone elses. Ultimately, you have to consider what the wide spectrum of variables and probabilities that other people will encounter during their gameplay.

10. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Agreed. At a cursory glance, all I pay attention to is the clear, white lettering, not the offset, fading green symbols. I am partly conditioned by experience to do this, but it's obviously the more intuitive system regardless of whether I can get "used" to the change.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Either way I'll be dropping the delay in readout next build.

fwiw the "i cant throw bomb til I wait" thing is bogus in my experience - I'm throwing bombs with -164 readout in debug deathmatch as we speak.

..And now I'm not (no delay in readout anymore)

12. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Make it so that spectators can see everything bright, please :)
    Thanks.
    It's a pain to see in the night, especially in the shadows.

On the other hand, then you can change to spectator to spy on the enemy team more easily. ( You can already )
    Maybe if you put it so that you can't join spectator, if you play on one of the teams, but that's a bit harsh. You probably have some other ideas, but I can't think of any at the moment :p It's kind of the same as changing team to see what your enemy is doing and change back, except you can see everything.

A simple solution would be that when you join a server, a window shows up: "Which team do you want to play as?" Instead of just autoassigning. If it's unbalanced, you have to pick the team with the less players or spectator. If you choose spectator, you cannot change team until the next round? If you quit and rejoin in quick session, you will be autoassigned to the team you were on previously.

Blergh... Maybe not one of the best ideas I've had so far :p Oh well.

Yes, and how come ladders don't stop fall damage anymore :l Have a Co-op server, but all the bots just die, cause the ladders won't stop them from dying. I have to make like big things that take a lot of space. Also, the bots are so stupid ._. I mean, I put some trapdoors (their team) over a hole into oblivion and they absolutely HAVE to just press down and fall.

13. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Wait, so now my beautiful chatbox at the bottom screen will be removed?!
    This goes too far, Mr. KAG Developers, sirs!

But really, I love my lower screen chatbox, because it just seems so much more natural for me. Does it have to go?

Raron likes this.
  14. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

Yes some older players are still used to down (i was used to it for like 50 builds after it got moved.)

15. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

I believe it has more to do with the "idea" of not being able to throw. It seems people think they have to wait until the green counter adds to the normal counter to actually have the resources. In my experience, whenever you try to use a +X resource, the counter adds it inmediately, so the original 3 +3 = 0 +3 bombs bombs with fancy (a bit confusing) graphics.

16. BlueLuigi

No no no no no.

What this means is you'll stop having to change it every build.

He's removing the line that says 'cc_valign = 0' from config.gm
    This line causes KAG to override whatever your settings are in autoconfig.gm every time you load KAG, it also makes you have to redo the change everytime there is an update.

17. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Hmmmmm. All this fancy code-type talk makes me confused. I prefer it when they talk using pictures. :p

Thanks for rectifying my mistake though. The loss of bottom of the screen chat would have been the thing that hurt me the most out of any of the updates so far. Then again, that's just me being awkward...

18. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Here's a suggestion, for the next build instead of trying to add a whole bunch of things just try and fix everything in this build so we can have a stable build for a while, then release a huge update eventually when you've figured out what you wanted to introduce and make it as good as you can.
    Because KAG's falling into the sinkhole of "that with every 1 new thing made, 2 bugs will also be made"
    Btw I'm loving this build! (it's the best I've seen since 170)

PrisonMax and Bookmark like this.
  19. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Well Crellie, if you have been looking at the change-log they haven't been adding much substantial stuff since 190, until zombies, the after zombies they haven't added much, not many game mechanics, other than corpses, most of the major bugs are gone, Arrow glitch, but the main problem is Bashing is severely f****** at the moment.
    Also an idea for the devs, is instead of working on everything focus on one class or problem, like start with the least problematic then work your way to the most buggy so, Builder --> Archer --> Knight :O then maybe generators and then authentication or whatever, just an idea, so it isn't blotchy and everything is broken, so then we could have some working mechanics, also what about test builds for some more major bugs? Sorry for dragging on a bit.

Creille likes this.
  20. Geti

^ this is what we're doing fwiw.
    To be clear, I'm not removing the valign variable from autoconfig, just from config. That means you won't have to reset each build, as thebonesauce Blue said.
    We're working on getting as many bugs sorted out as we can with the bug reporting system, and it's been going pretty smoothly. Gonna blog about the specifics soon :)

Stevedog, Rayne, SARGRA13 and 7 others like this.