1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 866 - Interim Patch, Lots of Changes!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Whale

Whale Impervious Donator

I dig the grapple hooks.

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Archers, dangling so deliciously from their little ropes now resemble nothing more than juicy, low hanging fruit ripe for the harvesting into the overflowing basket that is my KD. I think that archers feel like a better class though, which is a really good step forward in its own way.

With the new mobility mechanics I got up a 15 tile wall. I think this is really, really unnecessary. As much fun as it is to abuse these for crazy mobility I feel like knights have enough with bomb jumps and wall jumps were already a little excessive. Combat seems a bit off too, with lots of slashing through walls and weird hitbox stuff. Nothing too dire yet but still annoying, and the feeling of regression is frightening.

I really hope you guys have the last couple builds saved. I've been really impressed, overjoyed really, with how well beta has been turning out. It would be a tragedy to see beta go to the way of classic's last year and a half of development, one step forward two steps back.

Guitarman and Ej like this.
  3. DevinIsBawz

DevinIsBawz Builder Stabber

How do i get this build

4. Seladur

Seladur Catapult Fodder

I enjoyed the update so far, but I also found a couple of bugs:

I noticed a bug where if you use the grappling hook into a tree and stay there, and then someone comes and chop down the tree, you will keep floating in the air.

And there is another one where you can use the grappling hook to pass through the ''red line'' that divides the battlefield in the beginning of each round.

5. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

6. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Knights can Glide + Wallrun to climb any smooth surface.

For some reason lag is happening, and all hit detection is wonky.

7. Inferdy

Inferdy Arsonist

What I think about new version: It is really ugly
    1) You didn't atjust removed OP from archers - you atjust made them a fully shit
    2) Grapping hook is short and buggy.
    3) You was working on shielding guys by knight - now you can't blow up doors
    4) New update - new shit. You can't watch map, kick players, play normally as archer, play with good ping.

8. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Before I go in detail with my post, I want to say right away that archers need to be the way they are right now for a while so the mechanics can "sink in".

But I think the way the archers are right now turn the games into spamfests. Everybody spams the three-shot combo currently. The battlefields are riddled with arrows. I don't want to make it something that should be changed, but it could be worth a shot to make the overcharge shot make it an extremely fast arrow that travels a straight line. No extra damage, just give it a fast speed and no curved trajectory, to make it rewarding to play a sniper game. (Modders?)

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I think most people, myself included, agree completely with this.

Yes. This. Bring sniping back, but make it take a long to charge the arrow, making it risky, but rewarding.

Though I don't know if the shot should go in a straight line. That might make it a little too easy to aim.

amgtree likes this.
  10. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Is it just me, probably is, but archers seem horribly in inaccurate. Shots that I could of made before are almost impossible now.

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Being an archer is strange as it is now.

Arrows fly slower, but move faster in water, comparatively.

12. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

CTF Progress Day 1
    Unnoticed Information that the community forgot
    Build 866
    Archers suck they can be killed easily by a knight...

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

They barely do any damage, or stuns.

Just acknowledge the latest posts above you, and in the archer gripe thread.
    Archers pose very little threat to knights now.
    [all the freaking edits]

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We have and always will have the entire source history of every change made to every file back until zombies when the SVN server died (we're now using mercurial for source control). No serious programmer would keep a project this large outside of a version control system, cmon.

The slashing through walls/boats etc and hitbox stuff in general is likely due to the tilemap rewrite. There have been a lot of large under the hood changes that definitely need debugging, but as said all over the OP this build had to be released like it or not so that API work could go ahead.

I understand why every oldfag would be paranoid as hell about OMG SOMETHING BROKE NOW IT WILL NEVER BE FIXED but seriously we have a list of things to do which is maintained on a day to day hour to hour basis as we work, and any regression bugs get put on there just the same, usually at higher priority than the others.

The net "lag" may be due to some hotfixes being applied only to the release build and patched out at the last minute but I can't say for sure. MM pushed them only to the release repository though so I only found out that that as I tried to release a new build at 3am, then had to merge the several weeks of changes in with that. I'll be checking up on it tonight.

Either way at worst I would see this build as one step forward one step back, we'll make another step forward tonight fixing as many of the issues as possible, then I'll continue with CTF for the rest of the week.