1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 963 - Crash fix, Anti-Doorspam, Helpful Tips

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Dec 6, 2013.

1. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Builder is still master race :D But yeah, there is really no need to nerf them.

2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

>Meanwhile klok's mod gives builders buffs they've needed for a long time

That being said, I do like the anti-door spam. I think it's a good preventative device, but it should be that doors can be stacked two at a time, not 1. I like to make door overhangs that are two wide, because then my teammates can pop up and down through them. If I can now only make 1-tile wide door overhangs, then enemies can be smart and climb around that. (I know I certainly can, in any case.)

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I always find this funny, happens every time
    • Door changes posted as suggestions with positive response in several threads on the forums
      > release it
      "OGM NERFED"
    • Saw has dedicated "too easy to spam plus gives lots of wood" thread with overall "yeah it is" response
      > reduce ability to spam
      "OGM SAW"
    This is why we should clearly never do anything the community asks for, ever.

I will climb this as any class.

Re: doors
    I've said in several places door spam isn't a balance problem. Contrary has put it reasonably eloquently before: "Door spam is dumb; it looks dumb, it plays dumb". We removed it because it was dumb, not because it was imba.

Re: saws
    >1 off 100 stone cost
    >get 100 stone for free every resupply during build phase
    >get 1k+ wood every cycle of tree farming
    >ogm saw so useless

For all of the "hue hue so smrt" you do, note that you can convert enemy saws to your team by picking them up, and you can pick them up when you are properly underneath them - not "inside" but underneath. This was a documented change and I've seen newbies do it ingame - whether by accident or not. It used to be do-able from any angle, now it's only do-able from below. Check your facts before acting incredulous that someone is correct.

hit F1

I think this is probably clashing with the old "party" key, I'll remove that key definition next week as it's not used any more.

Apologies for the less than friendly responses, getting pretty tired of people speaking up after changes are made public when things are discussed on forums for over a week :^)

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Haha, oh god all this butthurt by people who can't even do simple math before blasting their ass on the walls.

Stone doors have been ridiculously strong for a long time, by the way. Now, with well-thrown bomb it's actually possible to destroy either one.

Oh and Klokinator, if you think saw traps are terrible.. why do you use them as traps? Their main purpose is wood gathering. We have spikes, platforms and trap bridges as well. Do you have a single brain cell?

franek123 likes this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I DON'T. Where you ever got that impression is beyond me.

And I feel like you didn't read a single reason I posted about why 100 stone cost is an absolutely awful way of managing saws.

My optimal saw implementation would be:

Reduce wood saw gives.
    Remove saw trap capabilities entirely.

That's it. And to be fair, that's exactly what my mod does so I'm not really gonna talk about this anymore.

6. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I've always been ok with door spam as it was... with the new system, any knight who can hold a bomb against a wall can now get past 2 stone doors which were previously the only sure way to keep out good knights.
    Edit: oh and @Geti I been against this idea for the entire time. I've always said that door spam isn't a problem. Yes it may be ugly but it definitely wasn't game breaking.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  7. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Pls no geti, if a thread all said that saws were op, thats very different from a few people getting mad on a post.

Don't hate us ;_;

Edit: make everyone happy, apply new door method only to wood doors, as they are the only ones that were ever spammed. Stone doors never were spammed and therefore were not part of the problem.

Klokinator likes this.
  8. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Stone doors falling is the only really annoying thing about these changes.
    Everything else is great ;)

As JoshTG said, maybe give stone doors a little buff so they stack to two? They cost too much too spam anyways.

9. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I am happy at the lack of crashing when I leave servers, thanks a million!

I am unsure what I think about this door nerf though, I hardly build larger doors and tend to only make very horizontal doorframes. . .But at the same time I can't be too positive because this hurts several building designs I use, gets rid of giant boat doors, and effects a lot of buildings I tend to make in creative. Ah well. . .Guess if awkward building solves noobtactics. Oh wow just tested and doors are much weaker now because of this...

I feel the saw nerf was a little more than people were saying, heck, I think the highest number I gave was 30 stone, not 100! Also again, 150 wood+30 stone and a decrease in the wood it produces is all it needs in my eyes.
    Also sawtraps might as well be called useless now if there is just one infront of a door, not only are they more expensive, but also you can simply destroy the doorframes with bombs and wait for the doors to collapse, then jump over into where the door was!

Also @Geti, admittedly the reason people tend to lash out after balance updates is because things tend to be changed too much to a different extreme. Remember the old archer nerf a while back? The class went from highly overpowered to highly underpowered, now with the new buffs archer got recently it has finally balanced the class out into a not-too-strong/not-too-weak class. Middlegrounds. . .

10. i have to play a clan war in 12 hours ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

8x likes this.
  11. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Ej ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; but yeah - the doors need more testing but in reality they were kind-of fine as they were?

12. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I guess you haven't seen a cancer tower ingame. They stalemated games endlessly as long as a builder maintained one.

hierbo and Rocinante like this.
  13. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yeah, honestly, having seen two or even three cancer designs be put into action I have to reserve my judgement of the new door mechanics. This won't entirely eliminate the infernal, map devouring structures that the likes of @BC and @Deven have made but it helps.

As long as I can still use doors as deep sea submersibles I'm happy. ::):

hierbo likes this.
  14. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Thanks for the feedback @Geti
    New doors system will encourage builders to make more structured points for entering and exiting a castle. Door spam is still possible, harder to perform though. I like this since it seems to be more complex to learn and to build properly.

15. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

my friend bc always enjoyed making sensible towers like this https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/954-grid-structure.17541/. it wasn't door spam and wasn't looked at as being a troll structure or looking ugly. it was a very effective tower with other variants which could go into spreading across the whole map. However now with this update his towers aren't possible anymore. devs is it possible to fix this? i mean i understand what you were trying to do but now others have to deal with the fact they cant make a perfectly legitimate tower anymore ::(:

16. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

@kedram All you have to do is add one additional block adjacent to each door tile and it works. Use stone blocks against door tiles to keep its fire resistance. :rollseyes:

The only impact it has on BC's grid is that will force him to be slightly less of a cheapskate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    FuzzyBlueBaron, hierbo and kedram like this.
  17. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

oh wait, i didnt think of that :<. well thanks man im actually relieved, i cant believe i didnt see that ;/

18. jackitch

jackitch :(){ :|: & };: Global Moderator Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You might have already got an answer to this (but I haven't seen it)

Changelog from build 954
    Code:
    [added] jackitch and contrary heads, congrats!
    The deer helm is Contrary's, and the raven w/ headress is mine.

19. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Can somebody tell me about what these "cancer towers" are? I have no idea how just spamming wooden doors can stalemate a game. =/

20. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Practically a type of tower that can be repeated as many times as you want all over the map and are super annoying to destroy, I have only ever seen one a few months back but I was able to destroy it myself. . .apparently BC has gotten a lot better at them though.

The popular one is I think invented by JTG? a tower made out of wood doors and wooden platforms, with stone wall behind it all. . .here it is. . .
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/947-the-cancer-tower-and-struts.17407/

Also things like this can also be considered a cancer tower, as grid cancer towers are the older kind that are still effective:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/954-grid-structure.17541/