1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Calling For Cool Screenshots - 1200px wide and up

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I don't think the last picture could be used xD, It says "nigga swagbot" in it

2. upload_2015-12-18_21-2-7.png
    upload_2015-12-18_21-5-16.png

Attached Files:

Geti likes this.
  3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Probably my Best Screen shots (keeping in mind for banners or cover pages).
    2015-12-19_00003.jpg
    2015-12-19_00009.jpg

2015-12-19_00022.jpg

2015-12-19_00023.jpg

2015-12-19_00030.jpg

2015-12-19_00032.jpg

ValiantVoyager, Geti, Vamist and 3 others like this.
  4. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Good ones of me in Era's are either my heads dislocated (pic 1) or my heads a door (pic 6) its plain sad...
    Nice photo's tho

I've gotten a few...
    2015-12-19_00007.jpg

2015-12-19_00009.jpg

2015-12-19_00011.jpg

icemusher, Geti and Snake19 like this.
  5. Solaris

Solaris Batlord Sliftensnurgh Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Proper use of dinghies
    [​IMG]

icemusher, Geti, Vamist and 3 others like this.
  6. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I don't know Steam's store page policy but Kag needs to be watched as a moving mechanism more so then having many individual screen shots. While these screenshots are full of nostalgic goodness, they should (in nearly all instances) not be effective at enticing newcomers. While I do not have any qualifications as a product sales individual, I can say that if I were to promote a product I would not use screenshots from the community. While there might be a diamond in there somewhere it is in essence something based upon community input and thus up to chance. If I were to promote a product I'd want to control how people see it and have a more active hand in that then asking for screenshots.

But... I could also be a jaded individual. There might be some good things from these... If you are able to work with them effectively feel free to use any of the gifs I posted for the trampoline spike cannons. But it just seems like a gross mid-allocation of attention on a possibly ineffective action to rebrand your product.

So... Not to be a negative person or anything... But I think you're going about this wrong... In terms of asking for community help to sell your game. I have a sort of solution when it comes to advertisement but it's not a photo. It's more along the point I stated above in that this is a game you have to see in action. Get all the people you invited on here and organize a CTF match on a small enough map so that in spectator mode you can record the whole thing. Time lapse the shit out of it. Then after someone wins and the match ends have cuts to another match going on but on bigger maps. Have the camera start on one end and pan to the other. So then you have something that says this is my game, you can build things people attack it, you defend it and people see those highlights the action and understand how it's going to be in the game. Then when they think it's a small map are all maps like this. You have a cut that then shows how large and sprawling things can be with action still going on. Then you can have those silly closeup cuts on funny things like chicken flying catapults, or bison riding and stuff.

Might be more work then just asking the community for screenies of their time in KAG but I think it would be more effective at displaying what your game is about and rebranding your product then essentially going the same route you did before, getting some poorly done photoshopped images, in this case asking the community for their screenshots.

Tl;dr make a time lapse video of a match instead of asking for pictures.

NinjaCell, Tormbonio, Vampire and 4 others like this.
  7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Jumping and end-of-match base kegging.
    screen-15-12-18-13-45-28.png

screen-15-12-18-16-07-34.png

Geti and EhRa like this.
  8. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Some of the good ones I could find after spamming the screenshot key. I'll probs spam some more if I see the opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  9. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

I am not really one to make screenshots but here you go:
    2015-01-18_00005.jpg 2015-02-20_00001.jpg
    2015-10-13_00001.jpg

AntonioModer, Geti, 8x and 1 other person like this.
  10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yeah, I think you've really hit the mark here. The screenshots in this thread amuse us because we're kag players and we get them. To someone just checking out a webpage, they might seem just mess. Kag really looks great for what it does, I love that chunky pixel graphics and that's part of what got me to stick around and realize how much I loved this game, but the motion seems to be really important. Getting a really good still picture of the game that is visually appealing and communicates what the game is about is really freaking hard...

It's like trying to get a handsome picture of your five dogs playing frisbee. You can try but you'll likely just get an incomprehensible blur that only makes you happy because it's your dogs.

I think the kag2d.com website is pretty good in terms of portraying the game visually, perhaps if you ignore the :potato::potato::potato: part.
    It has a lot of gifs and a video that all show the hectic nature of the game. The screenshots are mostly doctored, to add motion blurs, and to get a still frame of kag that looks pretty. I remember looking at that website when I stumbled across the game on steam and I thought it was such a cute little indie game website that seemed to have some actual production value and care put into it, it actually made me instabuy the game. I thought it was really well themed, but I don't know if people would agree with me.

Solaris likes this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That's great and all but we explicitly need still images for many storefronts; not just steam, and the current screenshots aren't going to do a better job than some of the better ones from this haul. This has been an ongoing "todo" item, and I figure something honest is better than the badly hacked together stuff that's already there.

I'm honestly not looking to go about rebranding the game at this point. It's taken enough years of my life as it stands.

This thread is not about the most effective marketing strategy that we could possibly enact - "3 excellent looping gifs above an attractive price" ;)
    This thread is about needing screenshots and the community having a much more diverse space to pull those from.

That said, I'm well aware that a lot of the screenshots here will not be suitable; I'll be going through them properly and taking the cream.

Re: "I heard there'd be likes" - getting there, it is the weekend after all.

NinjaCell, EhRa, Solaris and 3 others like this.
  12. Fellere825

Yeah I figured the store pages would mainly be about them screenshots. It's disheartening when you have this awesome game but you can't properly display it with the way most digital retailers are. I don't have many screenshots but I have a bunch of gifs if you can find uses for them. So I guess this is my official statement saying that any picture/gif or media work related to KAG I posted on the forum can be used by you guys no worries. Other then that, sorry if I came off as unsupportive/angry customer man, still your number 3 fan Gatu! All of the gay homo erotic fantasies! And all the veggie tofu burrito burgers.

Noburu, Geti and AmestriStephen like this.
  13. That is a fantastic idea. Couldn't you release it as a gameplay trailer/video?

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No worries Fellere, you just always seem to have big ideas that sound great but also like heaps of work on non-game stuff. I realise it's important, but with KAG it's past the point of big marketing push, for us at least. I have no idea how steam or any of the other storefronts handle gifs uploaded as screenshots, but given they try to convert PNGs to lowest-quality JPGs I'd fear the worst. We might be able to get some of your gifs in rotation on the main site or something, it's honestly not my area of expertise though.

15. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

Results from watching two matches back to back. Didn't want to upload too many from the same group of people playing. May or may not upload more eventually.
    BumRushTunnel.png
    Burn1.png
    Chaos.png
    Exclaim1.png
    HalfHeartCap.png
    Keg1.png
    Keg2.png
    LastHope.png
    RunNeoRun.png
    TunnelRatDeath.png
    TunnelRats1.png

Geti likes this.
  16. I really like the second one, it represents a KAG battle pretty well to me.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  17. Fellere825

Ideas are like opinions, they are some of the lowest forms of conversational thought, don't take my ideas too seriously man. They are there if you want them but it's up to whim if you really care to them seriously. Half of the time I'm spouting gibberish and the whole time I'm just bullshitting it, but people think, "wow that makes total sense." It's mainly because I commit to the bullshit and see it through to the end with somewhat valid arguments. Do what you feel you need to do as a growing game developer and business owner. Don't worry what community members say you should do, thats the best thing about being your own boss, you don't really have to answer to anyone but yourself. [Also this is the point where I went through my post three times editing it and I was thinking... What would you (Gatu) look like with facial hair?]

Yeah man I know KAG is past it's worth to work on date, but the ideas are probably applicable to TR and future endeavors... Probably anyways. Anyhow don't worry about doing what I say you should do, do what that little eight year old bird meat eating child Geti would do and just have fun with it and try to forget that game development is depressing at times because people are jerks. And if people are being jerks just take out your couple of hundred thousand Aussie bucks in 1 Aussie buck denominations and bathe in them while eating your vegetarian cavier and sipping your organic veggie champagne.

Serious p.s. I'll try to find pictures in my screenshot folders later. I'm on my cellphone for the rest of this weekend and because you guys ignored that one dude's suggestion three years ago there is no mobile KAG for me to find pics from. Also if you can remember how you guys recorded the full map for that time lapse for early KAG beta with drowning water I'd appreciate it. No promises but if I get bored I'll post something.

Geti, Vampire and Noburu like this.
  18. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

Will try upload some HUD-less pics later, got two with HUD here though.

EDIT: Oops excuse my language in the 2nd...

Attached Files:

Geti likes this.
  19. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Best screenshot:
    2015-07-25_00001.jpg

AntonioModer, ValiantVoyager and Geti like this.