1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Can you have too much coffee?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by LegendBeta, May 14, 2015.

?

Can you drink too much coffee?

1. Yes!

63.6%
  2. No!

36.4%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

I am not a coffee drinker, and this is just a general question.
    I had two hours of sleep tonight, I have a lot of serious assessments today and I asked for a extra-strong coffee at a cafe this morning, she said something about me being a regular coffee drinker and I ignored her.

I downed it and went on with my day, I am now experiencing extreme heart rates and not sure what to do 25252525?
    I just read that if you don't drink coffee all the time you can "over-do it" am I right?

The whole world is moving really slow sometimes and I am moving so fast, then it goes so fast and I feel like I am moving really slow :QQ::>:(:?

EDIT: Just to add to the whole story I am a really committed and passionate person, that is extremely creative with a lot of different forms of digital media meaning I spent hours last night drawing up some sketches on how I would "rule the world" with some game changing technology.
    That's why I was up so late if you were wondering, I aspire to be a lot of things.

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I've noticed increased heart rate with things like energy drinks, even a single one by itself. If you start to feel ill or your vision is going blurry, I might advise you to seek medical help. Not a doctor though, if you just had a coffee I'm sure you're fine.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yes, it's possible. Different people have different tolerances to pretty much every drug and caffeine is no exception, and if you've not eaten anything beforehand you can get a stronger effect than you would normally.
    If you're getting palpatations (uneven heartbeat) or experiencing lapses of consciousness then head to the doctor/call emergency services (actually always do this), but if you're just feeling sick or
    "fast" don't worry about it too much, just maybe don't get a strong/large coffee if you don't drink it often :)

Something to consider for next time I guess. Just a heads up, internet forums aren't a great place for this sort of information, particularly re: a timely response but also with respect to the accuracy of information provided - there are normally hotlines you can call that are set up exactly for this sort of thing "should I be worried about X medical thing".

FuzzyBlueBaron and SirDangalang like this.
  4. LegendBeta

I was more curious that anything, thanks for the replies.

I seem to have a little more sense now, I am pretty sure I had a uneven heartbeat this morning.
    Also next thing you know I had already given out my speech and it was over.

Coffee = win.

5. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

A little too much caffeine too quickly will cause your heart to beat a little quicker, make you pee a little more often and might make you feel sick. I doubt you actually had palpitations, since if you actually DID have an irregular heart beat you probably would have lost consciousness, had your body throwing clots, etc.

6. LegendBeta

My heart on the day was.. how do I explain it.

Out of tune, began beating faster, then slower ect.
    I'm not sure I just know that I will never ask for a strong coffee again :oops:

EDIT: It freaking me out a little at the start, to clarify I'm not over-weight.
    I'm about an average build.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Anything in copious enough amounts can kill you...

As for your specific issue, sounds like everyone else already summed it up, I never understood drinking more than a cup or two of coffee within a few hours, then again coffee really doesn't invigorate me and doesn't for most people in my family, we usually drink it from a young age though so maybe I just never noticed the minor effects.

thebonesauce and blackjoker77777 like this.
  8. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

I found that drinking gatorade befor or after helps a lot with type of problem

LegendBeta likes this.
  9. TBA_LordKnight

TBA_LordKnight Bison Rider

IJUSTHADATABLESPOONOFPUREAFFEINEANDI'MFINEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!! XoX

and btw @BlueLuigi your brain can "adapt"(can't remember the actual terminology) to caffeine which means the first several times you drink something with caffeine it will give you a big energy burst and the longer you drink it the less boost it gives you.(don't consume pure caffeine, that's a no no)

10. LegendBeta

My dad consumes pure caffeine all the time.
    Buys them in a shot glass.

TBA_LordKnight likes this.
  11. TBA_LordKnight

TBA_LordKnight Bison Rider

noice.

LegendBeta likes this.
  12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I still love coffee (my Keurig is my third most used device, #1 being my vape, #2 being my phone) but I haven't been having as much lately. Hard to drink coffee when it's like 85 degrees outside. I used to take Stacker 2's for a little extra zip, so I got a pack yesterday and just took some. Trying to start waking up early, so this is a perfect way to start.

FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  13. Troy_McMaster

Troy_McMaster Catapult Fodder

Not long ago I read this somewhere.
    You know you drink too much coffee when:
    • You chew on other people's fingernails.
    • You can type 60 words per minute... with your feet.
    • You can jump-start your car without cables.
    • All your kids are named Joe.
    If all/any of the above are/is not true, that means you don't drink too much coffee. So there.

TBA_LordKnight likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi