1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Can't launch game from steam anymore.

Discussion in 'Help' started by Asu, Nov 26, 2013.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Hi, I've got a problem since yesterday.
    I can't launch KAG from Steam, but if I'm opening directly the .exe ( In C:/Program files/Steam/SteamApps/King Arthur's Gold ), it works. I'd like to use the Steam integration ( I like very much the screenshot sharing system ).
    Can anybody help?

My comp is an Asus n51vn ( X5BV series if I remember right ), running W7 32-bit.

2. qpKillerqp

qpKillerqp Haxor

What happens when you run it with steam?Is there any error?

3. Asu

Oh yes I've forgotten to say that. It says 'Unable to start game (unknown error)'.

4. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Try reinstalling or repatching the game. The easiest method, is to navigate to where the steam version of KAG is installed (which you provided above). Make sure you've closed the game, and then delete the following from inside the game folder:

- KAG/App/version.txt
    - KAG/Base/Entities
    - KAG/Base/Scripts
    - KAG/Cache/

Once you've deleted these, relaunch the game as you if you were playing it normally, it will update/repatch and hopefully fix the issue.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can also restart your computer - Steam sometimes freaks out if an instance of kag gets stuck running in the background.

6. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

If none of the above works, I had the same problem, right-click KAG, click properties, and then click "Enable Steam Community in-game." It worked for me. ("Enable Steam Community In-game is in general just look down a bit.)

7. Asu

@kaizokuroof : I can't run the game from steam directly, but if I navigate up to KAG folder ( /SteamApps/King Arthur's Gold ) it works.
    @Geti : I've restarted several times. It makes nothing.
    @RougeCupcake : Okay, I'll try. Thanks
    Edit : Er, there is no 'Enable Steam Community in-game' ( = 'Activer la communauté Steam dans le jeu' in french, so how it should be for me ). Can you take a screenshot?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. qpKillerqp

qpKillerqp Haxor

If none of the above worked,try going to Task Manager,then right-click on all steam thingies Running,and select end task.Might work :rollseyes:

9. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Find KAG in steam, right click on it, select properties, on the first tab of the properties page, under General, there should be a small checkbox with this option. Pretty sure by default it's enabled, but best of luck anyways. Another possible solution, that you might not of tried, is simply using Steam's built in verify integrity of game cache and defragment cache files, also found in properties, under local files.

EDIT: Screenshots of the menus:

help1.png
    help2.png

10. Asu

Oh didn't see that. It was already enabled and still not work if I try disabling.
    And qpkillerqp, I think rebooting closes those processes... Otherwise it would be weird :p

11. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Thanks kaizo, I've been away for a couple of days.

12. Not sure if my problem fits here, but I don't fell like it's reason to make a whole new thread, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyways, my problem also involves Steam, I do can launch my game on Steam I just can't update it, for some reason it got stuck on build 963 0.97 It even says that the game was updated, but when I'm going to play it still shows the previous build on it, also it shows no servers ( 0 servers with 0 players) I already tried re-installing KAG and even removing all the files (I don't have any mods installed but I did it anyway) I still am able to play with the windows downloaded version, but would be glad if anyone could help me out on this. Thanks

13. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

You should be able to use the forceupdate.bat in your KAG steam directory to get to update.

14. Asu

Same too, I had this. I just had to launch KAG from its folder ( SteamApps/King Arthur's Gold/KAG.exe ) and it's updating without using the Steam way.

15. I tried both, none of those worked, but I re-installed the Steam and it's all good now, so I guess it was a Steam failure? Anyway, thanks for the help.

Asu likes this.
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey