1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Changes for Builders/Bridges

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wyeth, Nov 16, 2011.

?

What do you think of these changes?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2011.
  1. I like them

61.5%
  2. I dislike them

26.2%
  3. I am indifferent

12.3%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Sani: natch. It'd also be fairly low for stone blocks while they're the building staple.

@ilaks: that's the change we're going to test first alongside underground construction to see if it works out, along with potentially attacking open drawbridges as a builder. If that solves all the issues then huzzah, if not we'll look into charging up your construction.

@tekoppar: no, you're not listening. We don't want builders to be able to drop down their stone blocks to defend themselves because it's absolutely no fun for everyone except the builder doing it. As for full charged attacks breaking stone, we tried this. Have you noticed how quickly knights get through doors at the moment? Yeah, same thing with stone blocks if they can attack them.

2. Snoopicus

Snoopicus Shipwright

I'm gonna second this. Killing ladder spam is not difficult, and killing drawbridge spam wouldn't be hard either if you could kill them while they were open. Since not being able to destroy them while open seems like an artificial constraint anyways, why not just fix that first, and see what happens; if there is still a problem, further steps could be taken.

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Geti, will you please look into the bug of builders not being able to heal past 2 health from picked up hearts? Really cramps my offensive builder game.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Whoops, I said the same thing in IRC and then forgot to post it here

you shouldnt be able to spam ladders on dirt background either.

5. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Speaking of bridges, stepping on one in the editor crashes the game. Bug report but w/e

6. Hourai

Hourai Shipwright

THIS

I think that bug is pretty much important to fix than the modifications mentioned in the first post, and sometimes you can't kill a builder if he's standing in a certain spot under a small hole (i've used this glitch and only bombs stopped me, lol).

7. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Geti has already looked into the hearts not healing past 2 health issue and fixed it. It should be out in the next build.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@sani: We know. It's bizzare as it only happens in build mode, we'll look into it.

9. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

I haven't thought this through very well, but I propose that if builders (or even knights) get the ability to break open drawbridges, give them a new "broken state". Instead of snapping back into a broken, team-less platform, make it stay as part of the background.

10. Geti

Oh yeah they definitely wouldn't go to an open platform, that'd kinda undermine them.

11. saniblues

I have a hunch of why the bridges crash in build mode.

I don't know why the doors work, but maybe a value that decides the teams was left out of build mode. Maybe an argument for teams was left in the bridges, I dunno. My best guess would be one of those.

I can't change teams in build mode, so I assume that means teams aren't factored in, meaning there's a missing team variable or something. I might be completely off, though. Fun times making assumptions.

12. Kassc

Kassc Shipwright

hmmm is a perfect idea, but why not add building time? takes 0.5 seconds to build a castle wall? to compensate the long range build >.>""

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

500ms adds up like you won't believe, do you mean castle wall as in stone block or the background wall? Could you imagine how long it would take to make a small castle?

Also just a thought but it would be nice if this delay was not present during the building phase, so that you could build fast and people would understand the importance of building during the building phase. It would also be nice if the building phase was more streamlined and you could break open doors (ONLY during the building phase) again.

But we'll see during testing soon enough and I'm sure they've planned to not make building your initial castle take forever for the bigger maps. ;)

14. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

Maybe the infinite resources at warmup/castle build time would make it's comeback.

Going back to the base was one of the ways to reduce the speed that castles are build at the start...

Now that you will have extra time between builds and forced stop between builds... this would be to much of a hit on the start and you stated that this is nerf for the aggressive spamming of ladders and so on, not the building itself...

15. standing still? sounds like a great idea! and what's next, make the game turn-based? i thought this game is intended to be awesome and making it less action-packed won't help. i suggest make builders able to build only while jumping, under enemy fire and holding a bomb.

i agree that there is a problem with bridges, but it's not because enemy keeps spamming them - it's because they are too hard to remove, especially in battle, when you troops keep them in open state. that's the real problem. just make them removable in open state - it would solve it completely, and ladders aren't that annoying (one hit for knight or builder) so leave them as they are

as for underground warfare - i liked it, it was far more complex than on the surface.

16. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

I didn't bother with this because I'm lazy and never (now occasionally) play with builder, but I think its a terrible idea (the one about builders needing to be stationary to build). The builder feels so restricted now; and its a terrible nerf to offensive builders; which is completely retarded because this game needs to encourage offensive builders -.-
    And the decision to do this was because Geti was getting owned in a match once (hardly surprising :d) and his team was so bad they spent all their time removing bridges? If the enemy has spammed so many bridges in your base, then comes back to do it again as soon as you remove them - guess what: you've lost the game/drawbridges are OP. No need to rage at OP builders; rage at your team for not being better players.
    Surprised so many people voted that they support these changes; I bet many will change their minds once they try the new builder. And the views of regular offensive builders should be held above all over views - because damn PUBS need them badly.

ilaks and norill like this.
  17. saniblues

Just quoting this because it's my idea I think it's a good idea

18. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

"Offensive building" needs better mechanics than bridgespam.

I've tried the test builder and it hardly warrants the amount of whining it's gotten. If these changes prompt less idiots to waste time on builder, then good riddance.

19. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I think everything is good how it is. Speed is what people like in this. If I want to spend an hour just to place a damn stone block, I'd rather not play.
    Also the jumping makes it that much easier and quicker to build. It's easy to stop people from building bridges near your area, and if done right, you'll only have to clear so much. I suggest making it optional. To be able to jump, or not, for how long it takes to make stuff, and whatnot. As a sort of difficult setting'.

20. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

1 - Builders should be able to move while they build.
    2 - Two-way trap bridges are a BAD really BAD idea. I like the way they were before build 203.
    3 - Builders should be able to destroy trap bridges even if they are open. Knights shoulnd't.
    4 - Builders should be able to build fast. I dont want to way an hour for place a block. If this game stop being intense, I will stop playing it. Faster = better
    5 - Doors should be REALLY expensive. It prevent noobs from placing tons of them.
    6 - One-Way trap bridges should cost 10 wood

OFF TOPIC:
    7 - Menus are too complicated right now. Simple is better. I like the way things were before.