1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Class Bawww/Argument thread

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Contrary, Aug 1, 2012.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Got that wrong fair enough, but those 2 are the only ones that have any real tactical use most of the time. On the odd occasion bringing down some backwall can be helpful, but ladders a builder should be sorting out mostly. The abilty to break ladders, can still be an advantage sometimes but it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have to be used often.

*must not winge about how fucking tired I am from working all the time leading to losing the ability to spend the time or even care about posting anything resembling Oxford English*

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the use of cover for the 2 combat classes, a knight is of no use against ranged opponents unless they're incredibly stupid, or they just get lucky. Bombs are far too expensive to spam at long range - unlike arrows - and also they can't be used from the kind of cover arrows can be either. A knight sitting in an archer nest is not gonna be very effective and will run out of cash quickly unless the enemy is leading a very badly orchestrated offence on the tower it's above. Knights can't really spam indirectly in the way archers can either, for pretty similar reasons, an archer can sit back and fire over a tower all day, easily adjusting their angle of fire, for a knight that's not really an effective tactic. Plus in terms of sheer spam, it's easily for an archer to go find a tree an make arrows if they run out of cash, and there doesn't have to be any risk involved provided your team wasn't so cretinous they demolished most of your trees and built over them. A knight has go bash some people about and live through it.

Also, pretty straightforward one, in terms of mobbing, the bigger the mob the more it favours the archer. With good cover for the archers the bigger the mob gets the more the knight mob can't get anywhere near. Archers can lock down a map with arrows, knights can target a specific weakpoint with a bomb, and only with a lot of skill at longer ranges.

2. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

not true. bombs are very ineffecient in taking down buildings :
    reasons why
    negatives
    a. they only destroy stone in a plus shape
    b. they need a hole to maximize damage.
    b.i if thrown on the ground generally like next to a wall, bomb 1 destroys 1 block in the wall, and then bomb 2 + destroy 2 and will continue to destroy only destroy 2
    c. require a shop to replenish + coins ie if there is no enemy presence and you can't switch: bombs are unavaliable
    d. limit of 3 block wide possible to collapse per knight (if 3 bombs is max)
    e. time limit

catas are better
    cata pros
    a. destroy 3 blocks per launch at max right from the get go
    b. potential destruction of 75 blocks and a 37-38 block wide tower (3*25 launches)
    c. destruction from a long range, greater height = greater range

builders are best
    builder pros
    a. can take over buildings
    b. is free
    c. can come in as the game begins

btw is it wrong that I outlined bomb's cons and cata's pros and builder pros only?

Gofio likes this.
  3. metaspy

metaspy Catapult Fodder

not entirely happy to have what I say called trash - but your backing on bombs power is welcome.

What do you believe to be trash sir?
    As my initial post said - I am happy to entertain other peoples testing numbers. what I present here is what I have found from testing. I am also not afraid to be wrong. But back it up.

Gofio likes this.
  4. Knights get wrecked by camping, even if you think they are versatile, everything what they do is easily countered (mainly with camping, sometimes with base to base tunnels). You try to make them look god-like but they are shit that put the most effort and get shat over the most.
    If you think bombs are too powerful against people (better than archers? lol) you just suck and shouldn't talk about balance.

Gofio likes this.
  5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

:dirt::stone::h_rock::bedrock::castle_bg::tree::ladder::bridge::door::gold_b::gold_bullion:
    These are the blocks a knight can destroy.
    :castle_wall:
    These are the blocks they can't destroy.

6. FWIW, most of castles aren't made of gold bullions.

7. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

If you're counting bedrock and spikes but not stone blocks, then there is something wrong with you.
    Bombs can destroy anything except dirt backwall, even stone blocks. With a sword, a knight can't break stone blocks, bedrock, spikes or dirt backwall.

Get you head in the game, yo.
    That's only because most builders haven't discovered the wonders of gold in a defensive situation. When paired with a door fortress, walls of gold bullion create an unstoppable combination.

GloriousToast, Gofio and zollie20 like this.
  8. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I did not know about spikes. Knights really can't destroy them? ...fixed.
    I did not even add dirt background? why did you bring that up?
    I also didn't add stone blocks.
    I only counted bedrock because they can somehow (bombs) destroy it, and builders can't.
    with bombs, everything (except for dirt background) can be destroyed.
    </br>--- merged: Feb 17, 2013 11:43 AM ---</br>
    In most non-gold servers it happens all the time.
    Entire walls, sometimes, made of gold.

soulrealm likes this.
  9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

*sigh*

Gofio, you're talking nonsense again.

Bedrock is more indestructible than stone blocks. Only bombs can break it; builders can't, knights can't, archers can't. Your list was wrong, and your trying to correct it only made it even worse. Your interaction was like a doctor seeing someone with a broken leg, giving them a heart operation, then lobotomising for good measure.

Gold is nearly always not used in construction of forts. If there is an excess of gold, then people will decorate with it, but you fail to understand that some people have some semblance of intelligence, and that they will build with the mot immediately available material. Stone is normally that material, and, even then, there is no problem with using gold if there is a stupidly plentiful amount of it; a wall is still a wall, no matter what it is made of. It's main intention is to provide a defensive structure, and as long as it takes some time to remove, it gives the defender the advantage.

CheeseMeister, Gofio, blukey and 2 others like this.
  10. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Ta Hella/Ej, I kinda thought it'd be fairly obvious that I meant the destruction of blocks by slashing, and not dirt and un-mined rock because that's pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I was just trying to comment on the claim that knights are some unstoppable solo force, and since bombs have limited use when it comes to destroying castles - since you can hardly fucking rain them from the frontlines, unless your dominating so heavily you have a bomb shop a few tiles from where you can rain them on your enemy and are killing enough stupid people in the process to fund it - then they don't really factor into that argument really. A castle has to be very weak, very badly maintained, or very very very badly built form bombs to really do anything against them.

11. metaspy

metaspy Catapult Fodder

yes, it was obvious we were discussing slashing destruction. at least I knew what you meant.

It isnt that knights are "unstoppable", rather they have all the tools to be better than the other 2 classes hence they have the advantage. they just need toning down.

12. miniswrider

miniswrider Bison Rider

I agree with buieluigi, but I think maybe making the bomb only hit something through one castle wall instead of 2(as in making it absorb most of the damage)

13. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Rushing is effective, and it encourages teamwork.

14. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

You can say the exact same thing for defending.

15. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

In my experience, defending promotes single players bomb-spamming. Not teamwork.

Force, Contrary and Ej like this.
  16. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

And in my experience it promotes synching archers, builders working together to repair and enhance structures. People working together to keep catas supplied, etc

arcanecat and BlueLuigi like this.
  17. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

You've had a much better experience :(
    Seriously, only time I ever see that is when it's like 1am and only the good players are on. I meant at prime time.

18. camping is good because campers can use co-operation!

:):):)

thebonesauce likes this.
  19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

While teamwork can be useful for defense it's not a necessity like when rushing. I don't see you on BC's much so I guess you never seen Vidar play. He spends all game making a huge tower then at the end of the game, with his massive stockpile of coins, sits at the top of his tower and nukes everyone who approaches. His team is usually not as willing to lame it out like he is so he's often the last guy vs 20 tickets or so and while he doesn't always win I'd put my money on him every time. Camping is that easy.

zollie20, miniswrider, Force and 3 others like this.
  20. miniswrider

miniswrider Bison Rider

lol thats exaclty what vidar does!:D