1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Classes vs. Money and KD

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Nighthawk, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

There's a lot to look at, so I'm going to focus (mainly) on people who are against some part of my post.

@Ratka
    Gotta agree with you on their destructive capabilities. Archers ARE incredibly dangerous when used properly and successfully - their bomb arrows can blow huge openings and their fire arrows can really ruin a team's chances of winning a match.
    However, you have to consider the fact that they aren't successful very often; Archers die easily. A vigilant enemy Archer with cover on a tower could easily shoot an offensive Archer with no cover to death and make him lose some incredibly expensive arrows. And if the other team is on the offensive, Archers have a hard time wading into battle, considering the fact that single well-placed slash or bomb can instakill them.

Don't know what to say to you on this. You're right - Archers are very destructive. I guess my main argument isn't so much that they're ridiculously weak as they are less fun to play. Being a Knight is very satisfying - we all know that - but unless you're burning or collapsing a base (pretty uncommon events in a long match) you're not getting a whole lot of satisfaction playing Archer, because it's very difficult to kill other players.

@Yagger
    They can be trolls when they're lucky, or in numbers, which is where the "damn Archers" makes its reappearance, but in the end, they almost always need a Knight or two to distract the enemies. Where Archers really shine right now is as a support class, trolling people with their little bit of added damage. Still, when it comes down to it, Archers usually get wrecked when one guy decides to pull a bomb out, because as long as the Knight is good, they can probably throw that bomb far and accurately enough to make it impossible for Archers to run.

@Ej
    I admit, I am a scoreboard whore. I find myself checking the score quite often to see how I'm doing. Data is a bit misleading when you're playing Archer though - often I can be doing really well, burning buildings (and people) and making lots of good hits, and yet my funds and KD are awful because I just never get any kills. :/

And while you might not care about balance, many people who use multiple classes (I'm not saying you don't - I don't know what classes you play) do care. As I said in the OP, it becomes pretty clear that there's a balance issue when one offensive class constantly has more funds than the other, and that's really frustrating to people who like the class that's getting the short end of the stick, like me.

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

@Monsteri while you're not incorrect, nering bomb jumping would suck lol. :( Knight is so fun right now, I really don't think it's necessary to decrease that in order to put archer in a good place. Also imo KAG doesn't work well as a team game at all, the community just doesn't support that. All throughout KAG the number one complaint I hear is "team sucks". I think you've heard me say this but the way I think about a match of KAG is that there's me and there's my goal (of taking the flag/halls) and there's all other entities- enemies, animals, and teammates which all have a similar capacity to help or hinder me in my goal. Maybe teammates will build a nice wall, maybe they'll grief. Maybe they'll back me up in a fight, maybe they'll cockblock my bomb jump. In many ways I find enemies a more dependable aid, as they consistently open their doors, trigger my mines, leave shops out in the open for me to use...

Anyways my point is that KAG simply does not function as a team game and is much better as a game that gives a lot of opportunity for team work, but does not necessarily require it. I think the game would be a lot more fun for everyone if each individual class was able to have game-changing effects, given the right player.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yes, this is how it currently is, but tbh I feel it awkward that any class should be considered a 'coin farming' class. Sure, some will accrue coinage faster than others, but ideally all classes should be bringing in enough that, even if you're not rolling in moola, you still have enough to get by.

4. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I usually farm coins more efficiently as a builder. Half the time I'm two minutes into a game and suddenly I have 500 coins, because I've been digging and placing blocks. Builder has ways to make money, as does a knight. Simplest way to remedy this is to make the archers that get kills/land hits get coins directly instead of having to go to the ground. I think that'd solve 99% of the problems mentioned in this thread so far.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Archer (like everyone else) gets 2 coins per damage inflicted (cant remember if this is in hearts damage or in engine damage amounts, sorry), and 20 coins per kill. I think archer getting some coin from damaging siege engines and boats would help with their coin income, the amount of coin from hitting could potentially be increased too (so that assists are rewarded more).

Personally I don't find it that hard to keep coin rolling in as archer, since I generally retain a positive or even k:d at least, which means that I'm gaining coins again each life unless I have ~100 coins (due to the percentage based coin loss on death).

Of course, an archer will struggle to gain coin if there are too few knights and too few aggressive archers on your team, in this case I find it's simplest to change class to knight for a while (just like when you're having a tough time getting over a wall as knight it can be best to go archer and burn it down, or go builder and ladder over or termite into it).

Yagger likes this.
  6. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

• warned for lack of grammar
    Warning: The internet has never been a place full of correct grammar and spelling, this post is not exception.

alot of good discussions here and as someone who mainly plays archer i feel the need to add something i feel has been left out in this, now in my opinion catas in beta are a DIRECT upgrade from alpha catas and something that needs to be nerfed in my opinion about these catas is the fact that they are mid-evil tanks, it requires a massive amount of damage to take out a cata and most of the time the onlly way to get rid of a cata is to capture it your self, another thing that needs to be mentioned about archer in general is the IMMENSE usefulness in flag caping i have played a disturbingly large amount of ctf maps were the knights on our team couldn't get the flag back to base due to enemy walls and passed the flag to a freindlly archer who was able to get the flag out and back to base via grapple. This obviously indicates how archer is support even though in my opinion it shouldent. one of the problems in beta at least to me is the problem of class balance, now i dont mean one class being more powerful than another but more along the lines of helping the team to win (just a side note before i mention alpha is that i do enjoy beta more than alpha and think it is a improvement) one thing alpha did AMAZINGLY well was the need of varied classes, any team without good or decent players of each class was doomed to falure. good archers, good builders, good knights, etc. without good archers the builders and knights will be constantly out ranged, without good knights the builders and archers will get shredded to bits at close range, and without good builders (which many teams in game lack) it becomes infinitely harder to advance past enemy fortifications and in turn enemy's can advance into your territory with grater ease due to bad and sloppy fortification's. all of these are things present in alpha that helped in alpha but as this whole thread demonstraits is not present in beta. the one thing i can think of is nerfing the shield, the fact that arrows dont break a shield block can and has created the situation of one knight shielding past 3 enemy archers and not taking a half heart of damage, now haveing the shield go down after one arrow would need modification considering triple shot, now some knights might complain considering that two archers could team up on a knight and take him out, but in my experience doing so is very rare and takes extreme coordination if not complete luck, now even then it would be possible for two archers in a tower to do so to ONE knight attacking said tower but doing so offensively would be close to impossible and if you had 3 or 4 knights attacking wiht them all in one clump you would need a much larger amount of archers to defend from a larger amount of knights wich in my opinion makes sense. Again something about the triple shot would have to be changed for shield break to work and not fuck knights over so that would have to be dealt with, anyways not sure if its an actual good idea just wanted to contribute.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Your preface about grammar does not excuse the lack of paragraph structure. Reading a wall of text like that is very uncomfortable :^) Thanks for your contribution though.

Re: Classic class balance, I've never really found that to be true. The "surefire" patterns I've seen in classic depend on if there are tickets or not.

Unlimited tickets:
    build phase -> shops and wall
    game -> bomb jumping into and out of their base and cap the flag.
    We've played countless games on Action Unlim to this pattern, and while it feels great to be the knights surfing faces and ripping the flag out of their bleeding hands it's hardly dependent on class balance.

Limited tickets
    build phase -> shops and wall
    game -> 5+ archers on a tower

If arrows break shields from a distance, then 2 archers can kill any knight from distance, which promotes stalemates by significantly buffing offense. Archers can break shields now, they just have to be close, which means there's a risk involved.

As I hinted above, I don't think this is a balance or "fun" issue (there are significantly more archers in beta compared to the "hard sniper" archer days), but a low coin income from being a middle of the road archer. I'll see what I can do to rectify that and we'll see if there is still an issue.

8. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Today i had that feeling 'oh shit this archers are really annoying me', first time in Beta so i think that's good. Some killed us several times. It's rare because the Beta player base is pretty fresh and new lately, and it's changing the overall gameplay.
    This said, what will happen once Kag is on Steam? I've seen a bunch of builders staying at base at ctf rounds these days, which didn't happen some ago, and more archers camping and providing assist fire. The players, experienced ones included, still have to learn more about the game mechanics and contemplate a bigger range of possibilities, or even creating theirs, to win. I hardly see knights making trampolines to bypass towers, or a good usage of teleporters or mid bases.

9. deleted and warned off-topic.
    the thread is titled "Classes vs. Money and KD", not "KAG on Steam". please dont derail the discussion

10. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Playing some matches with the bomb arrow buffs has made me feel it is a bit more balanced now in terms of special arrow power, taking down forts is nicely possible, now. Also a lot of people tend to forget to put blocks behind their siege weapons so it is extremely funny watching them fall off towers from lots of arrows hitting them.

11. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I usually like playing archer more, but currently the game is in the state of "going knight to get more gold" for me. Basically any time i wanted to get bomb arrows, I would have to go knight to make that money.

12. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

Archers are good for destroying catas, setting stuff on fire, killing builders from afar.
    Unless they're doing one of those, in the current state of the game, archers are hurting their team by not going knight.

Also "support" is bullshit, a knight can "support" another knight much better than an archer would.

Jlordo and Contrary like this.
  13. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Do me a favor, go on to a server where there is one really good knight (they typically aren't hard to find). Find a knight buddy to go against that guy, actually no, tell your entire team to go knight and attack him at once. The last step is realizing how fucked you are when they have perfect slash timing and slashed all of your team at once and has already killed most of them.

Now, with a good archer here's how the battle plays out:
    -You walk up alone to a really good knight.
    -Enemy knight lowers his guard to charge a slash and receives an arrow to the face
    -Enemy knight puts his shield back up to block arrows

Archers stop knights from charging their slashes out of fear of taking damage, buying you more time.

and sadly, archers don't get any money from assisting you, because they need kills to get money, not hits.

14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Except then a knight can stab the archer, who has no defense. Why slash when a stab kills just as efficiently and much faster?

15. Auburn

Slashes have more reach. I dare you to go on a server, and have the top score in that server without using slashes AT ALL.

and by the way, this thread is about money vs k/d, so I should probably make a reference to that..... you wouldn't have any money if you followed through with my dare because your k/d would suck.

16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

'xcept the knight can simply detonate the arrows fired at him by slashing. Also, yesterday I was playing an archer and there was some good knight on the enemy team. I hit him with all the arrows i shot, but couldn't kill him simply because he was constantly fed the hearts of my incompetent knights.

Archers are just being useless to their team whenever they're not using bomb / fire arrows.

Either normal arrows have to be buffed, or archer money income increased so they can get more special ammo.

17. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

pls nerf good players, 2 op

if i couldn't slash arrows as a knight i would get fucked over so many times due to the fact that 2+ archers in a group spamming arrows at you is already a fucking annoyance with how fast full charge is now. if the guy is so good that you somehow can't get a hit on him when he's in the middle of sword-fighting, rush up and legolas him to assist your buddies. normal arrows don't have to be buffed to make archers even more powered than they are now.

Apronymous likes this.
  18. Auburn

Sadly, it's hard to nerf someone with the moves like Yagger.

The real issue here is that archers aren't underpowered so long as they are used properly, it's that they can't make enough money because they only get money from kills and not enough from dealing damage. It makes bomb arrows very painful to one's wallet.

19. Geti

I'll add more coin from damage and a small amount of coin on hitting a vehicle. This discussion is getting pretty circular though :^)

20. Grendell100

Grendell100 Haxor

Well, I'm here to complain about archers. I don't like that you added grapling hook and removed dagger, which I really liked. The grapling hook also removed archer's ability to cut trees for arrows. And archers can get wherever they want using it. I also don't like that time for "quick-shot" is too short. I mean shot when the circle which appears when shooting is full, no fully charged shot or how should I call it, when the circle lights white.

I want back ,,good old archer" from alpha or early beta...

Sorry for my bad English.